Menu

Seriously? Strep?!?

kristi26

There should be some law of nature that doesn't allow moms to get strep. Seriously. I finally got to the doctor today. They did a strep test, it came back positive. :(

On one hand, I'm really glad it is something treatable. On the other, it just stinks to be sick!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Ouch, poor you. Did you get the kids checked? (This reminds me, I should order some rapid strep tests off the internet. I hate going in just to argue with the doctor to please do a strep test on my largely asymptomatic kid. 20 minutes later - surprise! It's strep! But the doctor never believes me until the test results. Kiddo is *weird*, and only shows symptoms in a really *weird* way.)

• Like 1

I'm sorry. I am just starting to get over a bout of pneumonia. I didn't go to the doctor nearly as soon as I should have, I kept thinking I would feel better the next day. But I didn't. I've been sick for nearly 2 weeks now.

Thank you everyone! I'm doing my best to just lay in bed and do nothing. Thankfully, my older boys are still home and holding down the fort pretty well downstairs while DH is at work.

I've actually been sick for 16 days now. :( I was starting to feel a little better...and then I wasn't. It just kept getting worse and worse. Thankfully we had an urgent care place that could see and treat me.

Ouch, poor you. Did you get the kids checked? (This reminds me, I should order some rapid strep tests off the internet. I hate going in just to argue with the doctor to please do a strep test on my largely asymptomatic kid. 20 minutes later - surprise! It's strep! But the doctor never believes me until the test results. Kiddo is *weird*, and only shows symptoms in a really *weird* way.)

I didn't get them checked yet. If they show symptoms, or if DH does, we'll get the sick person treated. ;)

OP, feel better!

And... Where do you order these? I had no idea we could order them online.
  • Like 1

You can order them in bulk off of amazon, and probably other places as well.

Also, pro tip: You can order asthma spacers off of ebay for something like a third of the price at the pharmacy in the US. I wouldn't order actual medication off of ebay, but a spacer is just a piece of plastic.

• Like 2

They sell rapid strep tests on the internet?  One of my dc gets strep several times a year.  I think she's a carrier.  Thankfully, though, she is selfish and keeps her germs to herself.  The others never seem to get it.

• Like 1

You can order them in bulk off of amazon, and probably other places as well.

Also, pro tip: You can order asthma spacers off of ebay for something like a third of the price at the pharmacy in the US. I wouldn't order actual medication off of ebay, but a spacer is just a piece of plastic.

Ooooh! Score! Spacers, too! Thank you!

OP, rest. Drink fluids. Claim that you have man strep, and go to bed once DH is off for the weekend.

• Like 1

Ooooh! Score! Spacers, too! Thank you!

OP, rest. Drink fluids. Claim that you have man strep, and go to bed once DH is off for the weekend.

Well, my kids are old (ish) so I've been claiming man strep for the last several days. Lol. But I'm feeling much better this morning so I'll be taking DS12 to his school tour this afternoon and possibly doing some school work with the younger two again ( something I've had no energy to do since Tuesday). :)

• Like 1

Ugh!  It's that getting worse and worse that I recognize as the hallmark of strep. I know it well. We haven't had it for years, but one winter we got hit hard.  That time I got the added strep bonus of scarlet fever. It took months for my face to look normal, well, normal for me that is.

At least, in my experience, the antibiotics really do help with strep. I have always felt much better in about 48 hours after starting them.  I hope you are feeling better just as quickly.  But remember, mom, feeling better does not mean you are recovered.  Don't push it, ok? you have been sick for over 2 weeks, so you will need some serious rest and recovery.  Can you send someone to the library to get you some books? Can you do a netflix binge of Parks and Rec, lol?

• Like 2

Ugh! It's that getting worse and worse that I recognize as the hallmark of strep. I know it well. We haven't had it for years, but one winter we got hit hard. That time I got the added strep bonus of scarlet fever. It took months for my face to look normal, well, normal for me that is.

At least, in my experience, the antibiotics really do help with strep. I have always felt much better in about 48 hours after starting them. I hope you are feeling better just as quickly. But remember, mom, feeling better does not mean you are recovered. Don't push it, ok? you have been sick for over 2 weeks, so you will need some serious rest and recovery. Can you send someone to the library to get you some books? Can you do a netflix binge of Parks and Rec, lol?

I've been making my older boys share the burden of the read aloud with each other. We will probably add some math and reading next week. Plus I'll have DD read our science book to YDS. That may be all we do for this week.

And thankfully, I'm now feeling so much better. I have this annoying cough now though that I didn't have before the antibiotics. Maybe they're loosening up some mucus? Idk...