Menu

What do you/would you spend 'spare' money on?

Laura Corin

175 members have voted

1. 1. What do you/would you like to spend spare money on?

• Vacations/travel
    • Presents for friends/family
    • Food at home
    • Eating out
    • Items connected to a hobby
    • Events (concerts, sports fixtures, etc)
    • Participating in sport/exercise
    • Household improvements
    • Self care (hair, nails, massage)
    • Alcohol
    • Charitable donations
    • Other

I am most comfortable spending money on home improvements right now. Those are investments in our home that make it more livable and enjoyable. I need to get a fence up in the yard for the dogs, and new carpet on the stairs. Both of those things will make me happy!

I am willing to spend money on vacations, but we always put that off .... we are going to actually buy tickets for a family vacation today!

We do a lot of yard sale shopping during the summers and thrift store shopping year round. That's how I get my books and really most of our household stuff. I love the thrill of a good deal. I categorized that as "hobby" spending since it really is something we do for fun.

Generally, I think spending money on restaurants is a waste unless it's for something I really can't cook on my own ... I am happy with a homemade sandwich.

I haven't read any responses yet, but will go back and satisfy my curiosity after I reply.

Thank you for giving the option of voting for multiple answers. How we spend extra money depends on a number of things, including our season of life, how we came to have the extra money, the amount of extra money involved, and even what kind of mood we're in when we get it. While we do sometimes put extra towards bills, we don't have a lot of debt other than our house and vehicles, so I didn't choose that as one of my options. It's rare we use it for bills. So in  the order they're listed in the poll, not our order of importance:

Travel/vacation

Presents for family and/or friends

Hobbies

Household improvements

Self-care - This is really just me, not anyone else in the family. I get my hair colored and highlighted, plus I like an occasional mani-pedi

Charity - We have specific charities we give to, but when we have extra to donate we sometimes give to one of our regulars and sometimes see if there's another one we want to send a one-time donation.

Time is our most precious commodity right now, so spare money normally goes toward outsourcing necessary jobs that we could do on our own, but enjoy not having to.  The last couple years we have splurged and hired seasonal snow plowing for the driveway.  I am getting estimates right now to have someone come and paint the basement...I am fully capable of doing the job, but juggling the kids and working in little stolen moments would make it take f.o.r.e.v.e.r compared to someone else coming in and getting it done in a couple days.

Wendy

We recently caved and hired out lawn care. It's a year round necessity here. I can't do it because of my back and dh's work schedule makes it nearly impossible for him to find the time. Ds took over a few years ago (starting at around age 14-15), but now with college classes he can't really spare the time either. I'd much rather he spend time on school assignments. 

So, we hired a company to do the main lawn care. That lets us still play around in the garden (not lawn) area for pleasure, without having to worry about knee-high grass.

Time is definitely worth paying for in some cases.

Disney World, which would be travel for other people,

I couldn't figure out where to put the vote, but some years we splurge on theme park passes. It's not travel because for us the parks are local. Our last two times we went with Universal but are considering Disney next. It's been a while since we had Disney passes, and ds' girlfriend has them so he's lobbying for us to get them as our next set of park passes.

I couldn't figure out where to put the vote, but some years we splurge on theme park passes. It's not travel because for us the parks are local. Our last two times we went with Universal but are considering Disney next. It's been a while since we had Disney passes, and ds' girlfriend has them so he's lobbying for us to get them as our next set of park passes.

I would consider that an event unless you take time off then it's vacation.  :thumbup1:

• Like 1

Depends on how much 'spare' money this hypothetical scenario would have me have. Given enough spare money, probably all of the options. Under more normal conditions, I'd have to prioritize. If I had to assume I suddenly got a $100 check as a belated birthday present or something, I'd probably spend it on books? Why isn't books even an option? This is a homeschooling forum, ya know, where people regularly have threads about being short on bookcases etc.

• Like 1

Why isn't books even an option? This is a homeschooling forum, ya know, where people regularly have threads about being short on bookcases etc.

I just extrapolated what Bolt said and assumed that this would be the one place in the universe that would understand why books are a necessity and food* is a luxury, lol.

*For adults--just wanted to clarify that.

• Like 1

I just extrapolated what Bolt said and assumed that this would be the one place in the universe that would understand why books are a necessity and food* is a luxury, lol.

*For adults--just wanted to clarify that.

True... but we can still spend spare money on books too, right?

Travel is my first priority for extra money. I want to give my kids experiences they can only get through travel. I usually come up with an excuse to travel…kids have a gig here or a competition there. 

We do need some improvements made to our house, nothing huge or pressing at the moment, so that would be next in line.

Music and art lessons all around!!!  And giving - I know a couple mamas right now that are experiencing serious medical issues with their little ones right now and I have to tell you if I had a flourishing money tree in the backyard I'd make their housing and travel expenses disappear.  That is the most motivating thing about Dave Ramsey for me - imagining being able to give like a crazy person.

And unlimited violin and art lessons.  (That has actually motivated me to go back to school this semester.  If I can work just part time and a higher wage then all of this extra stuff that isn't in our budget in quantity for these kiddos would become more doable.)