Menu

CLE math question - quizzes and tests

Heidi

Do you have your kids do the quizzes and tests or do you skip them?

I was skipping them the last couple of weeks, doing CLE 3Xs a week and LoF 2Xs a week.  But I'm thinking of moving to a 4 day week, and I'm not super impressed with LoF.  So I was thinking CLE 4Xs a week with the quizzes and tests and dropping LoF.  OR I could still do CLE 3Xs a week and a few chapters of LoF 1 day a week.

Any thoughts?

I am thinking of adding in LOF one day a week this year. I meant to this past year and didn't get around to it. I will do CLE 4xs a week, but I often cross off review in 2 lessons here or there and only do the new parts and review I think ds needs. He completes all the quizzes. I've occasionally allowed him to skip a test if he did extremely well on the last couple of lessons in the book. I use it as a motivator for him to pay attention to detail. If he misses things, that's usually why. 

We skipped all the quizzes and tests in the 500 level. If we were doing well on the daily assignments I knew we had mastered the material. I was trying to condense the full 500 year into half a year, and this helped me do that plus some. I haven't seen any retention issues (there is so much built in review). If I was concerned about that, though, I would do the quizzes and tests. I may add them in anyway to slow down our progression.

We have always done the quizzes and tests. We don't do whatever else is assigned for the lesson on Day 5 or Day 10, so the children have a lighter math day, which they quite enjoy.

One caveat is that we school year-round, so we don't have any time constraints for getting each level completed.

We've done CLE from 100's - 500's and have never done any tests or quizzes. By grading their daily lessons and having my kids correct all wrong answers, I already know which concepts need further review and which ones I can skip in the "We Remember" sections. The tests and quizzes seem redundant.

• Like 1

We've done CLE from 100's - 500's and have never done any tests or quizzes. By grading their daily lessons and having my kids correct all wrong answers, I already know which concepts need further review and which ones I can skip in the "We Remember" sections. The tests and quizzes seem redundant.

Thank you EVERYONE for your input, but especially this.  This helps.  I check their work daily as well and the tests and quizzes seem redundant to me too.  I guess if I didn't check daily I would need the quizzes, or if I felt they needed more practice.

I normally skip the quizzes and tests except for a random test or quiz thrown in to check retention or if they ask but sometimes DS especially seems to have mastered things so we may do just new material and a brief review of that new material in a light unit then take the test. If he gets a 90 or higher we just move on to the next light unit.

Thank you EVERYONE for your input, but especially this.  This helps.  I check their work daily as well and the tests and quizzes seem redundant to me too.  I guess if I didn't check daily I would need the quizzes, or if I felt they needed more practice.

While I get the point that the quizzes and tests could be redundant, I like that a quiz is something I can pull out of the book and have ds do without any chance of looking back for help. I am contemplating timing the quizzes this year. I feel that as ds is moving up in middle school and toward high school, I need to help prepare him for a variety of educational settings and have the skills to face them. There will be more chances for outside co-op classes and even dual enrollment classes. Dd took some college classes this year, and had in-class, timed writing assignments, quizzes, and tests. She did fine, but I had always used some quizzes and tests from a variety of sources in our curriculum. She is naturally a fast worker, so the timing thing wasn't a factor, but it could be with ds. 

• Like 2

Do you have your kids do the quizzes and tests or do you skip them?

I was skipping them the last couple of weeks, doing CLE 3Xs a week and LoF 2Xs a week. But I'm thinking of moving to a 4 day week, and I'm not super impressed with LoF. So I was thinking CLE 4Xs a week with the quizzes and tests and dropping LoF. OR I could still do CLE 3Xs a week and a few chapters of LoF 1 day a week.

Any thoughts?

Can you let me know your thoughts on LOF? I was thinking of using it 1x/week with CLE. I don't want to buy it if it isn't worth it :).

Can you let me know your thoughts on LOF? I was thinking of using it 1x/week with CLE. I don't want to buy it if it isn't worth it :).

I haven't completely formed my opinion on them yet. Some people love them, some don't. I'm leaning towards the latter. They strike me as more silly and light than conceptual. But I don't know. Maybe making math silly and light occasionally is a good thing. My kids seem to enjoy them.

• Like 1

While I get the point that the quizzes and tests could be redundant, I like that a quiz is something I can pull out of the book and have ds do without any chance of looking back for help. I am contemplating timing the quizzes this year. I feel that as ds is moving up in middle school and toward high school, I need to help prepare him for a variety of educational settings and have the skills to face them. There will be more chances for outside co-op classes and even dual enrollment classes. Dd took some college classes this year, and had in-class, timed writing assignments, quizzes, and tests. She did fine, but I had always used some quizzes and tests from a variety of sources in our curriculum. She is naturally a fast worker, so the timing thing wasn't a factor, but it could be with ds.

This is a good point. I will think more on that. Thank you.

We also skip the quizes but usually do the tests. My DD isn't very speedy at math and doesn't have the stamina to work for a long time, so we actually take two days to do a test, and she isn't doing all the review problems every day. I want to help her increase her math stamina this year, but we probably still won't do the quizes because they feel like overkill to me.