Menu

Tell me about homeschooling in your state - Best and Worst States/Laws

Reading this thread has made me appreciate how easy it is homeschooling in the state we currently live in.  :coolgleamA:

It is also funny to read how perspective can be so different. I read some of the posts where it assures us that homeschooling in that state is easy, but the post goes on with requirements of NOI, IHIPs, quarterly updates, mandatory standardized tests, or meetings with teachers/officials.  :huh:

Many of those sound burdensome and some don't sound easy at all!   :crying:

I think it would be so much nicer to move from a high reg state to a med reg state than from a no/low reg state to something with more rules.

Kudos to those of you who can handle all that.

• Like 3

This is PA as well. The written law looks super scary, but it's cake really. Esp now since the law changed last year. Minus a few districts, homeschooling here has never been hard or horrible.

Beginning of the year turn in a notarized affidavit and list of (very vague) objectives (Language arts: continue to read books, continue to use writing in our daily lives; Math: continue to use math in every day life... yes they can be this vague and simple, they can not disprove them and they can not use them to gauge if you have done enough) to the local district.

Keep a log which designates the reading material used. You also need to show sustained progress in the form of a portfolio that is reviewed by your own chosen evaluator. My log last year was mostly a scrap book of brochures and pictures with a few writing and math samples. I have an unschool friendly evaluator. She tells us to make the portfolio something we would want to keep. Before our port was more "worksheet" and it wasn't super fun... but before, the port went to the district and I always worried that they would throw a fit if it didn't look like school. Now our port only goes to our evaluator.

We have to test in 3rd, 5th and 8th grades, you can choose the test. The results really mean nothing.

We turn in the letter from the evaluator saying we have complied and sustained progress has been shown.

The district has no right to question any of this.

They can request an eval at any time during the year if they have reason to believe a proper education is not occuring... again you choose your evaluator and have her/him look over a port and send in the letter.

Many districts try to get away with things the law doesn't entitle them to, but usually a mom pointing out their rights in the law they back off.

Is there a list of lousy counties?

I have heard of a few, one near Harrisburg especially, but can't think of it off the top of my head is particularly difficult. They are put in their place often. There was just talk of another one on a FB group. Its probably easier to pick an area and then ask around on FB, there are several statewide groups on there.

It is also funny to read how perspective can be so different. I read some of the posts where it assures us that homeschooling in that state is easy, but the post goes on with requirements of NOI, IHIPs, quarterly updates, mandatory standardized tests, or meetings with teachers/officials.  :huh: Many of those sound burdensome and some don't sound easy at all!   :crying:

I know, right? Whenever I read the words "all we have to do is..." I get ready to read a long list of stuff, lol.

• Like 2

Is there a list of lousy counties?

Maybe your state is set up differently?  In PA, counties are large, and can have dozens of school districts, some good, some bad, vast majority neutral. A few school districts try to ask for more than the law requires, or are just misinformed about teh homeschool law, but almost always when they are shown what the actual law is they drop the issue.

• Like 4

Reading this thread has made me appreciate how easy it is homeschooling in the state we currently live in.  :coolgleamA:

It is also funny to read how perspective can be so different. I read some of the posts where it assures us that homeschooling in that state is easy, but the post goes on with requirements of NOI, IHIPs, quarterly updates, mandatory standardized tests, or meetings with teachers/officials.  :huh:

Many of those sound burdensome and some don't sound easy at all!   :crying:

I think it would be so much nicer to move from a high reg state to a med reg state than from a no/low reg state to something with more rules.

Kudos to those of you who can handle all that.

Yeah.  I thought NY would be easy after all and people keep telling me it is but you have to do x, y, z, f, w, d, and c.  I am in IL.  We do zero. Zip.  And this paperwork is giving me a huge migraine, especially after reading on local boards about huge issues NY natives are facing with their superintendents right now and rejections left and right.  It does not make me feel reassured.

• Like 2

If you're thinking about moving to PA, do consider all of the other advantages to living here.  RebelYell is right that it depends on the specific district.  Ours is generally very good (when we had to turn in portfolios to them, they would leave little complimentary post-it notes for us), but they occasionally get confused and need to be reminded of the law.  The actual person who handles homeschoolers seems to know the law, but I've had people on the phone from the district who don't, which is probably to be expected.  But down the road, in our same county, there is a district that is notoriously difficult, or at least it was for several years.  I didn't know that when we bought our house, but I'm awfully glad we didn't find a house in that district that we liked in our price range.  Ask around as much as possible before you settle on a house.

• Like 2

Yeah.  I thought NY would be easy after all and people keep telling me it is but you have to do x, y, z, f, w, d, and c.  I am in IL.  We do zero. Zip.  And this paperwork is giving me a huge migraine, especially after reading on local boards about huge issues NY natives are facing with their superintendents right now and rejections left and right.  It does not make me feel reassured.

The first year is the hardest, and after that you just tweak. 

I'd be happy to look at the verbiage of your paperwork or share what I've sent my district - I've walked people through it before :)

What's funny is NY has always been the only one worse than PA in my eyes.  I have heard first hand horror stories of a school in NY state sending back the IHIP over and over because they didn't approve it.  Here, they have no power to approve or not approve what we give them.  They can decide that an appropriate education is not taking place, in which case they can ask us for an eval and if we fail to comply can conduct a due process hearing.  That is a lot of hassle for a district, more than it's worth for them in most cases.  

Our district is small, but we have our own homeschool overseer.  She is also the principal of the districts own virtual school... that has a building full of lab rooms and such for kids that are enrolled to use as much or as little as they wish.  She leaves us alone really, the only thing I ever see from the district is her letter saying she got what she needed and to have a great year, and an annual letter from the nurse asking for a physical and blah blah blah which I trash.  My affidavit states the requirements are met, that is all the law says I have to provide them with.

What's funny is NY has always been the only one worse than PA in my eyes.  I have heard first hand horror stories of a school in NY state sending back the IHIP over and over because they didn't approve it.  Here, they have no power to approve or not approve what we give them.  They can decide that an appropriate education is not taking place, in which case they can ask us for an eval and if we fail to comply can conduct a due process hearing.  That is a lot of hassle for a district, more than it's worth for them in most cases.  

Our district is small, but we have our own homeschool overseer.  She is also the principal of the districts own virtual school... that has a building full of lab rooms and such for kids that are enrolled to use as much or as little as they wish.  She leaves us alone really, the only thing I ever see from the district is her letter saying she got what she needed and to have a great year, and an annual letter from the nurse asking for a physical and blah blah blah which I trash.  My affidavit states the requirements are met, that is all the law says I have to provide them with.

But don't you have to meet with a teacher and have an outside evaluation done each year?  That sounds expensive and annoying. And you don't have to turn in the health forms?  I mean, my kids get regular physicals and medical care, but I know here at least getting the physical forms before school is a huge hassle and a huge waiting list, plus it's expensive. That's why we do physicals after school starts. ;)

The first year is the hardest, and after that you just tweak. 

I'd be happy to look at the verbiage of your paperwork or share what I've sent my district - I've walked people through it before :)

I might take you up on that.  I have seen that it really varies by superintendent and district.  Some are very hostile to homeschoolers and keep requesting non-legal additional materials, interviews, evaluations, etc.  So advice I get from one person might not help me at all.  And most locals I've found where we're moving are newbies, too!

But don't you have to meet with a teacher and have an outside evaluation done each year? That sounds expensive and annoying. And you don't have to turn in the health forms? I mean, my kids get regular physicals and medical care, but I know here at least getting the physical forms before school is a huge hassle and a huge waiting list, plus it's expensive. That's why we do physicals after school starts. ;)

We have to have an evaluation, but we choose who does it. Most of us use other homeschooling moms who have a teaching degree. My evaluator is unschooled friendly, she has no expectations as far as what she wants to see. She does not quiz our kids. We share with her a scrapbook looking portfolio full of pictures and brochures of places and things from the year. I put in a few writing and math samples for each kiddo. She talks with the kids and just asks simple things like what was your favorite book this year? What is your favorite subject? Etc. Its all light and fluffy and relaxed. Prior to this year I had more samples of worksheet type stuff so I was sure to not raise any red flags at the district.

We do not have to turn in health forms, that is one of those things some districts try to push, but the homeschool laws says we must provide health services, we attest to it in our affidavit, but we do not have to give them any more than our word that it is done.

• Like 2

In Scotland we have no legal duty to report to anyone, allow anyone in our home or keep track of the work we do. The only law is that parents are responsible for ensuring the child has an education suited to their age and ability. I didn't realise how lucky we are here until I started seeing posts about HS in the USA. I admire those that manage to homeschool while documenting everything and meeting standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

But don't you have to meet with a teacher and have an outside evaluation done each year?  That sounds expensive and annoying. And you don't have to turn in the health forms?  I mean, my kids get regular physicals and medical care, but I know here at least getting the physical forms before school is a huge hassle and a huge waiting list, plus it's expensive. That's why we do physicals after school starts. ;)

(PA)

There are lots of teachers and ex-teachers who do evaluations specifically for homeschoolers.  It's not hard to find one.  Our evaluation took less than half an hour and I over-prepared.  LOL 

I turned in "health forms" the first year I had to declare (the year DS turned 8), which was just a letter from the doctor saying DS was a patient and had been seen most recently in his office on X date, and that his records were on file with the practice.  (I called the doctor's office up two months in advance to ask for the letter, and they called me to pick it up when they had it ready.)  This year, I just wrote a line into my affidavit that I attest to the fact that he is seen regularly by his Pediatrician and said his records are on file with said Ped.  I sent in nothing from the doctor, and I received my letter from the school district acknowledging my Letter of Intent was received, everything was satisfactory, and wishing me a productive year.  Easy.

• Like 2

Indiana is easy, keep track of attendance but no one ever asks for it.  No testing, no notification, nothing.  But don't move here unless you love snow and road construction..... at the same time.

Seriously-what is it with Indiana always having road construction?  I'm not sure I've driven through 70 without massive construction in over 24 years.

• Like 1

PA isn;t scary. Really!

It's the portfolio and having to physical deal with another human being ie the evaluator tha makes me feel :crying: .  We do a lot of read and narrate, look at field guides, look at maps etc in the younger years.  That's not exactly good fodder for a portfolio. In NY, I can just put down the topics covered without having to produce anything.

If you're thinking about moving to PA, do consider all of the other advantages to living here.  RebelYell is right that it depends on the specific district.  Ours is generally very good (when we had to turn in portfolios to them, they would leave little complimentary post-it notes for us), but they occasionally get confused and need to be reminded of the law.  The actual person who handles homeschoolers seems to know the law, but I've had people on the phone from the district who don't, which is probably to be expected.  But down the road, in our same county, there is a district that is notoriously difficult, or at least it was for several years.  I didn't know that when we bought our house, but I'm awfully glad we didn't find a house in that district that we liked in our price range.  Ask around as much as possible before you settle on a house.

It's Lancaster County that I'd like to move to. (No, I'm not considering becoming Amish. . .) I know there is a good homeschool population there.

• Like 1

It's the portfolio and having to physical deal with another human being ie the evaluator tha makes me feel :crying: .  We do a lot of read and narrate, look at field guides, look at maps etc in the younger years.  That's not exactly good fodder for a portfolio. In NY, I can just put down the topics covered without having to produce anything.

It's Lancaster County that I'd like to move to. (No, I'm not considering becoming Amish. . .) I know there is a good homeschool population there.

Oh, Lancaster County is so pretty!  Central PA is such a wonderful place to live.  (I'm a little west of that, but I love it here so much.)

You can put that sort of stuff in the portfolio!  First, you don't have to worry about children under eight, so that makes it easier to be an unschooler for little ones.  But you'd just list that stuff in the book list, maybe print off some photographs.  You're supposed to have some samples of work too, so I suppose you would just include a couple of things, even if it's not at all structured.  I have a friend who is mostly an unschooler, and she's had no trouble getting her evaluations done.  You just need to find an evaluator who fits with your philosophy.  

• Like 2

It's the portfolio and having to physical deal with another human being ie the evaluator tha makes me feel :crying: . We do a lot of read and narrate, look at field guides, look at maps etc in the younger years. That's not exactly good fodder for a portfolio. In NY, I can just put down the topics covered without having to produce anything.

We do very little that looks like school, very little paper trail. Its not hard to provide a few sample, key word FEW. Last year our port had 2samples of writing and 2 samples of math per kid. There were a few pages (2 or 3) each that showed individual things (scout events, individual interests like my daughter's artsy stuff or my son's science stuff), these along with the rest was all scrapbook pages that had brochures, ticket stubs, pictures and blurbs about our adventures from the year.

For our eval, the lady we us does distance evals. I scan our port and put it on a disk that I mail her. Others email them to her, but I like knowing our payment and port arrive together. She then calls and I put my cell on speaker phone for her "interview" with the kids. It's noting like an interview, but I don't know a better word for it.

I love having a port to look back on down the road, and would probably keep one even if we didn't need to. It's not hard to put together and makes a wonderful keepsake.

It is important to ask around and find an evaluator who you feel comfortable with. Some have specific expectations, many don't. I know of several who are unschooled friendly. They are usually accepting of anything you want to show them. This year I was panicked because one of mine did not have a very impressive log of reading material.. Like it was tiny! I messaged our evaluator and she was very reassuring that it was not a big deal, not all kids like or learn well from books (this kid is definitely one of those ;) ). She is wonderful! She is a homeschooling mom of 10! She has homeschooled every style under the sun, some of her kids do better unschooling, some do better with a more traditional route.. She gets it, and that is important to me.

• Like 3

Guest mother_robin

We do very little that looks like school, very little paper trail. Its not hard to provide a few sample, key word FEW. Last year our port had 2samples of writing and 2 samples of math per kid. There were a few pages (2 or 3) each that showed individual things (scout events, individual interests like my daughter's artsy stuff or my son's science stuff), these along with the rest was all scrapbook pages that had brochures, ticket stubs, pictures and blurbs about our adventures from the year.

For our eval, the lady we us does distance evals. I scan our port and put it on a disk that I mail her. Others email them to her, but I like knowing our payment and port arrive together. She then calls and I put my cell on speaker phone for her "interview" with the kids. It's noting like an interview, but I don't know a better word for it.

I love having a port to look back on down the road, and would probably keep one even if we didn't need to. It's not hard to put together and makes a wonderful keepsake.

It is important to ask around and find an evaluator who you feel comfortable with. Some have specific expectations, many don't. I know of several who are unschooled friendly. They are usually accepting of anything you want to show them. This year I was panicked because one of mine did not have a very impressive log of reading material.. Like it was tiny! I messaged our evaluator and she was very reassuring that it was not a big deal, not all kids like or learn well from books (this kid is definitely one of those ;) ). She is wonderful! She is a homeschooling mom of 10! She has homeschooled every style under the sun, some of her kids do better unschooling, some do better with a more traditional route.. She gets it, and that is important to me.

Hi, Funny, 

How did you find your eval? We are moving to Sullivan County, and even after I looked over the PA Homeschoolers website list of evaluators, it was hard to know who to choose. Many did not even have emails. I have messaged you privately about this, just so you know. 

Guest mother_robin

His brother lives in Sullivan County. I wouldn't want to live next door, but closer than South Texas.

HI, Starting Over, 

We are relocating to Sullivan Count this fall. Where did you decide to move? We are anxious to meet others in our area!