Menu

Foreign Language question...

Ds took 2 years of Latin in one year....it was an accelerated college class.  Is this enough FL for high school? 

Enough for what?

Enough that you can, in good conscience,  grant a high school diploma?  Sure.

Enough for admission to cc or other less competitive school?  Sure.

Enough to help prove "mommy grades", and help with admissions decisions?  Absolutely.

Enough for admission to big state schools, or other somewhat more competitive schools?  I wouldn't bet on it.

Enough to test out of an FL requirement once admitted?  Doubtful.

• Like 4

Ds took 2 years of Latin in one year....it was an accelerated college class.  Is this enough FL for high school? 

It will depend on your school.  It was enough for the state university in VA that dd attends.

She took two semesters of a foreign language as dual enrollment. I counted as two years of high school credit.

Ds will have basically the same thing when he graduates high school, although I am not sure his college of choice (another state uni) even requires it. 

• Like 1

How many credit hours was each class? My dd needed to take three Latin classes to meet our state requirement. Most college FL classes around here are 5 credit hour and then you only need two classes. But Latin here is 4-3-3 so she needed all three classes to earn the 10 credit hours.

• Like 1

I think it'd depend on the school.  I was under the impression most schools want a modern language for the 2-year requirement.  I've been following what the state schools require and plan to do SAT II to show proficiency.

The last time we talked about this, of all the colleges in the United States, we found only one that doesn't accept Latin for admissions, the Air Force Academy.

• Like 2