Menu

Homeschool Made Simple

In the last few episodes of the newsletter she discusses art and music. All the other newsletters discuss various books. But no math or how to teach reading. Guess you have to buy to see what she suggests. I am curious too but not sure I want to buy the whole set for the one lecture. That and I would rather either an audio I can listen to while puttering around the house or an article I can read. My video time is rather limited.

She does make some recommendations for math, reading, music, writing, and science, but she doesn't go into much detail.  Her big thing is not pushing children when they are young or even using curriculum when children are younger. She actually recommended not using a math curriculum until about 5th grade.  She does highly recommend Math It and then suggests Math-U-See, RightStart, or Teaching Textbooks.  

She does make some recommendations for math, reading, music, writing, and science, but she doesn't go into much detail. Her big thing is not pushing children when they are young or even using curriculum when children are younger. She actually recommended not using a math curriculum until about 5th grade. She does highly recommend Math It and then suggests Math-U-See, RightStart, or Teaching Textbooks.

I'm curious as to what sorts of careers her homeschooled children pursued. Do you happen to know? To be honest, I am skeptical about what you posted as her math recommendations. Math-it is a great supplement for primary and low level elementary grade math fact recall, but my kids have mastered its contents within a couple of weeks each for the different operations covered. It is certainly not enough for long term use.

But, I cannot imagine waiting until 5th grade for a math curriculum. I have had kids ready for alg at that age.

From the podcast suggested above she was heavily influenced by the Moore's (Better Late Than Early).  So I would guess the math suggestion is no formal/textbook math until 5th grade.  So think living math books, games, etc until their logic centers kick in then start formal math instruction.  But this is just an educated guess.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Posting in this thread, even though it is old, because I went to a CJS seminar last weekend and my thoughts are fresh and also because some may search the boards for info later. The computer or the board ate this post once, so I am trying again, pasted from a Word doc.

In response to 8’s question, her son was homeschooled through age 17,went to Calvary Chapel Bible College in CA and holds a Masters from Wheaton College. Possibly in theology as he is a pastor now. At some point he was an instructor in wilderness survival skills. He is married with at least one young school age child. She has degrees in Fine Arts and Education.

Carole Joy Seid was personal friends with Raymond Moore and advocates everything he wrote in Better Late Than Early. Not unschooling, but a very relaxed CM style. She suggests only hands-on learning and memorizing math facts until age 10-11, then Saxon, TT or Math U See. She spent time discussing child development, Moore’s work on Piaget and concrete vs. abstract thinking. She strongly discourages teaching a child to read before age 7, cites Finland as a model to follow and says that late reading should not be a cause for concern. No mention of evaluation for LDs in any situation and much discussion of the hazards of close visual work at early ages. She suggests Sing, Spell, Read and Write for phonics and says that all spelling can be learned by context and reading and that formal writing instruction is never necessary. She suggests one year of Winston grammar in 8th, followed by word roots study and Visual Latin in the upper grades. Science recs are AIG and Apologia. She recommends only American history before about 3rd, “because of the gods and goddessesâ€, and then a three-year, literature based world history cycle which ends at the Renaissance, with a year of American history in high school. She is not a fan of memorization, making several comments implying that all memory work is tedious busywork. 

Her outline of a typical grammar or logic stage day was this: Bible story and memory work, math, short writing assignment (5-15 minutes), 2 hours of RA including lit, history, poetry, biography, science and art, lunch, 1 hr rest time for all, 4 hours outdoor play, chores, dinner, RA with Dad. Her high school day was similar, with science done independently before breakfast and history for an hour or so after lunch. I heard the general seminar, not the one specifically about the upper grades, but her approach does not seem suited to strong STEM students nor to students aiming for admission to a selective university.

She spends lots of time on the value of outdoor play and seems to assume a suburban setting with large yards and /or parks with woods and a creek within walking or biking distance or a rural home or farmstead.

She presents a winsome and passionate argument for the importance of literature, good books and the Great Books in education. Reading, reading, reading is the heart of her approach. She brings stacks of lovely books to sell at her seminar and they sell quickly, well before it begins. Her presentation includes many literature booklists, which she asks participants not to copy or share. She has been featured on the Read Aloud Revival podcast. She cheerfully states that one can homeschool well with only a Bible, a math program and a library card. She describes her home as filled with books and recommends many favorites with anecdotes about their impact in her family. She claims that Charlotte Mason only mentions narration 3x in her works, has been misinterpreted with regard to its use and that the typical narration exercise in homeschooling ruins a child’s enjoyment in listening or reading and is inherently harsh and even punitive. 

Her criticisms of current American education are solid, imo. She is vehemently against screens and technology in education, for young children particularly and in family life generally. She quotes articles from many reputable sources to back up her opinions in these areas.

CJS is an engaging and even humorous speaker with a warm and encouraging demeanor. She has a loyal following. Several women who have homeschooled their kids all the way through using her approach testified to its effectiveness. Several moms with large families or poor educational backgrounds spoke emotionally about how her approach has helped them and changed their family life for the better. She is clearly an evangelical Protestant and expects to be speaking to that audience. She used the “educating for heaven, not Harvard†line. (Where did that line come from?)

Her comments about any more structured homeschool approach were derisive, dismissive, arrogant and unbecoming to her Christian faith. She insinuated that anyone not following her plan is damaging their children, killing their love of learning and stealing their childhood by requiring mountains of unnecessary busywork. She clearly does not believe the fundamental homeschool principle, that one size does not fit all! Unusual in someone who was involved back in the old days with the Colfaxes et. al.

I am glad to have had the opportunity to hear CJS speak in person. I learned some things, was challenged and encouraged. I appreciate her strengths without agreeing with all her views. I share her passion for literature and its importance in education. I too value outdoor play, nature study, art, music, work and service; these are integral in our family life. Dh and I areChristians who take very seriously our responsibility to teach our children to know and understand the Scripture. I can see how her ideas could help and encourage some families and rejoice in that for them. I am glad to understand something of this philosophy that influences some of my friends.  I find her attitude towards those who choose other homeschooling philosophies offensive. There was a hostility and a conceit and a hardness just underneath the warmth which seemed incongruous in one who espouses a “gentle†approach. I am more confident in our family’s eclectic mix of classical and CM style homeschooling for having heard and considered a passionate appeal for another road.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 13

What an excellent review! I've always been intrigued by CJS, but haven't looked into her method thoroughly.  I feel I have a better understanding now.  Thank you. ScoutTN!

You are welcome! Writing helps me to think clearly and process what I have heard.  :)

As I said, I only heard her general seminar, so not sure I really understand the details of her views on homeschooling older students, but I got the basic philosophy and did get to hear her answer some specific questions regarding high school.

Edited by ScoutTN