Menu

Crash course before Jamestown and Colonial Williamsburg

elliotterae

We started planning last year for our upcoming trip to Virginia. The thought was that we would just be covering that time period in our history studies. Well, we are behind. Math for one child and spelling for the other, took some extra work and time. Plus I seem to not be great at managing to stick to a schedule when life gets in the way. So we just now got to starting with the Renaissance. I was hoping to cover a few days more of Shakespeare and Africa, touch on the Spanish Inquisition, and then at least the 30 Years War before moving on to early American Settlers.  However, now I have 2 weeks before we leave for Jamestown.

Should I touch briefly on these things (like just outline that we will go back and cover them) so we lay the foundation for "why". 

Do you recommend we actually cover the info I have planned for Settlers, even though it is not in order? Or would I be better to just go on the trip, pointing out what we will soon learn about. 

I guess I am just panicking and feeling very unprepared. Normally when we do field trip type vacations the girls have studied the whole topic so well in advance that it just brings it to life for them. Now I feel like they are going in with no more knowledge on the subject than they have gleaned from the Disney version of Pocahontas. 

They are 12 and 9 and we can not just change the trip by a few weeks.

Any advice for prepping them would be greatly appreciated. I almost feel as if all my time focusing on chronological history has handicapped me in my ability to teach it in a free standing lesson, away from its place in the time line. "sigh".

At the very least, we plan to listen to the SOTW CDs on the road.

And for what it is worth, even though we are behind schedule, we have enjoyed history together so much. They are not on track for time line coverage, BUT they can tell you the name of every English Monarch (in order of course) and for most of them, tell you their spouses, children and cause of death. So I guess that is why I don't want to just skip or jump ahead. We just really like to take our time with it and get the most out of it.

We started planning last year for our upcoming trip to Virginia. The thought was that we would just be covering that time period in our history studies. Well, we are behind. Math for one child and spelling for the other, took some extra work and time. Plus I seem to not be great at managing to stick to a schedule when life gets in the way. So we just now got to starting with the Renaissance. I was hoping to cover a few days more of Shakespeare and Africa, touch on the Spanish Inquisition, and then at least the 30 Years War before moving on to early American Settlers.  However, now I have 2 weeks before we leave for Jamestown.

Should I touch briefly on these things (like just outline that we will go back and cover them) so we lay the foundation for "why". 

Do you recommend we actually cover the info I have planned for Settlers, even though it is not in order? Or would I be better to just go on the trip, pointing out what we will soon learn about. 

I guess I am just panicking and feeling very unprepared. Normally when we do field trip type vacations the girls have studied the whole topic so well in advance that it just brings it to life for them. Now I feel like they are going in with no more knowledge on the subject than they have gleaned from the Disney version of Pocahontas. 

They are 12 and 9 and we can not just change the trip by a few weeks.

Any advice for prepping them would be greatly appreciated. I almost feel as if all my time focusing on chronological history has handicapped me in my ability to teach it in a free standing lesson, away from its place in the time line. "sigh".

At the very least, we plan to listen to the SOTW CDs on the road.

My vote is to go and enjoy yourselves. Buy lots of souvenirs. Have fun. Don't try to lay a foundation before you go. Don't point out what you'll be studying at home. Just enjoy yourselves. You will all remember much more if you enjoy yourselves. When you actually reach that time in history, your dc will have all those wonderful memories to plug into their study.

When you go to Williamsburg, be sure to buy tickets for the Governor's Mansion. Sometimes there's a good tour, sometimes there isn't, but you should go anyway. And make sure you go into Bruton Parish Church. I love that church. ;-)  Oh, and be sure to watch the movie in the Visitors' Center.

• Like 6

The first American Girl books were set in Williamsburg. So the Felicity books might be a start and wouldn't take too long to read.

There is a good Dear America book on Jamestown.

There is a very good book on forensic research of colonists that includes one of the bodies at Jamestown. I think the title is Written in the Bone.

I wouldn't worry about being a bit out of sequence. Learning history is a continuum. Jamestown Settlement has a great museum. Give yourselves time to go through it before going into the settlement. At the NPS site don't miss the rediscovered fort and the museum near it.

Williamsburg is just a delight but it is a large site. You won't be able to cover it all. It's ok to pick fewer places and spend more time at them. Ask them questions. Visit the Bruton Parrish church just outside the Colonial Williamsburg grounds.

• Like 1

CW rents costumes for the day. Check the hours they're due back to the rental desk if you want to get these. Your 12 yr old may not be interested, but your 9 yr dd might. If you have time, you could probably buy or make one and save $ and not worry about returning anything.

I think they've renamed "Revolutionary City" but I loved those re-enactments. I hope they still have those! Look up the schedule ahead of time.

I :001_wub:  CW. When we were building a house and I was stressed out, the kids and I would run away to CW. *Warm, fuzzy memories!*

Take lots of pix of the kids at both places. It'll be neat for them to look back at them when they study that era.

I agree with this; just go and enjoy it!

OP, you've picked a great time to go to Jamestown - there are some recent significant historical events and announcements that have come out of there in the past few weeks. Go to the archeological site, not the more-contrived settlement.  I won't spoil the surprise - check their website for details!

My vote is to go and enjoy yourselves. Buy lots of souvenirs. Have fun. Don't try to lay a foundation before you go. Don't point out what you'll be studying at home. Just enjoy yourselves. You will all remember much more if you enjoy yourselves. When you actually reach that time in history, your dc will have all those wonderful memories to plug into their study.

When you go to Williamsburg, be sure to buy tickets for the Governor's Mansion. Sometimes there's a good tour, sometimes there isn't, but you should go anyway. And make sure you go into Bruton Parish Church. I love that church. ;-)  Oh, and be sure to watch the movie in the Visitors' Center.

• Like 1

We went last year and it was great!

I would definitely do the junior ranger programs at Yorktown and Jamestown. They're a half day each, free, and well worth it.

The intro movie at Williamsburg is hysterical - totally watch it! It's a great warm up, but in 1970s Disney mode (ornate costumes, over acting, etc). So funny. We did the ghost tour which was silly fun. The reading of the Declaration of Independence was awesome. We did homeschool days and my kids enjoyed the programs we signed up for. RevQuest was great. Definitely participate (your kids are the perfect ages!).

I'd take a break, have fun, enjoy the trip, and buckle down before and after.

We read Blood On The River: Jamestown 1607 before we went.  It's very good, and very engaging.  The whole story takes place from the POV of a 12yo boy who was on the first passenger list and really enhances the experience.  I think there are 20 chapters, but if you assign 2-3 per day for your kids they should finish it in time.

At your kids' ages, they have enough basic background to know what they're doing a little. And they practically give you a crash course through some of the programs. So I vote just go. And then it's okay to go backwards - as in, have the experience and then do the study. Slightly different, but most of the museums here have programs where you learn about the art and see some art then go make some art. Except once, we attended a program that was the other way around - we made the art then were invited to go see the exhibit. It was a lovely experience where they were automatically more engaged because of what they had just experienced. It will be the same for you - when you get to Jamestown and colonial America in history, they'll be more into it because of what they've done.

• Like 1

We always skip the movie because I heard it was so cheesy. Now I must know - who is it?

Cheesy? I don't mean to lord this over you, but The Story of a Patriot is the longest running motion picture in history, Jack! (See what I did there?)

Good news. You can buy it on Amazon if you don't want to take the time to watch it while you're at CW.  :lol:

Angie hopes Farrar cyber-knows her well enough to get her sense of humor.

• Like 2

I would go and have fun and look at lots of living books in the bookstores when you go.  They can read them on your way home and the weeks afterwards to learn and remember their awesome vacation.  We just moved from that area, and my kids loved going there.  There is a great kids games area in CW, and they really loved the jail and the blacksmith and woodworking.  They will immerse themselves in it and be interested, and it will come alive.  If you have a good story book to read ahead of time from the library, check them out for the car ride if you want, but I wouldn't worry too much about cramming it all in beforehand.  Immersion is the best way to learn, and these are some of the best immersion resources we have for this time period, and they will have a blast.

Cheesy? I don't mean to lord this over you, but The Story of a Patriot is the longest running motion picture in history, Jack! (See what I did there?)

Good news. You can buy it on Amazon if you don't want to take the time to watch it while you're at CW. :lol:

Angie hopes Farrar cyber-knows her well enough to get her sense of humor.

I'm dying!!! I think I remember that from The movie!!! LOL!!!

It was someone huge.... I must go Google...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...