Menu

Baking question

AnnE-girl

I'm planning to make a blueberry buckle (like a coffee cake), and wondering if I can substitute heavy cream in place of the full fat milk it calls for. I bought cream that had a closer expiration date than I realized, so I'm looking for ways to use it up before it spoils.

I found this:  "When substituting ingredients for milk, the Pillsbury website recommends using 1/2 cup of evaporated milk mixed with 1/2 cup of water to fill in for 1 cup of whole milk. Because you can substitute whipping cream in equal amounts for evaporated milk or half-and-half, you could also use an equal mixture of whipping cream and water to substitute for milk. While this won't taste exactly like milk for drinking purposes, it should do the job in your recipe."

Thanks for all the replies! I think I'll use part cream and part 2% milk. The cream is technically past it's sell-by date, so I'd rather cook with it than whip it. I'll try freezing whatever is left for other recipes. I have some really good vanilla ice cream I was going to serve with the buckle, too.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies! I think I'll use part cream and part 2% milk. The cream is technically past it's sell-by date, so I'd rather cook with it than whip it. I'll try freezing whatever is left for other recipes. I have some really good vanilla ice cream I was going to serve with the buckle, too.

We'll be needing your address...

• Like 2