Menu

Disney/L.A. area aquariums and beaches

stormy weather

There is talk here of going to Disneyland with extended family in October. I would also like to take my kids (14 and 12) to an aquarium and the beach because they've never been to the ocean and we will be there so close it would be a shame not to. I'm looking online at the Aquarium of the Pacific and Cabrillo Marine Aquarium.(Sorry no links as I'm on my phone) Aquarium of the Pacific looks like a neat aquarium and looking at google maps there is a beach near but the Coastal Park at Cabrillo looks to be more than just a beach and could show them different habitats and such that they couldn't see otherwise. I have fond memories of visiting the Monterey Bay aquarium and surrounding areas including beaches and tide pools at around 13 y/o. Monterey Bay is too far away though. :( Does anyone here have any experience of these places or any nicer places that are within 30 min to an hour's drive from Disney and preferably close to one another so I wouldn't have to do a lot of extra driving? I probably won't be able to check back in until the A.M. but any help would be greatly appreciated as I am not much of a traveler.

Thanks. :)

Aquarium of the Pacific is a bigger, nicer aquarium. Cabrillo is free; we used to live nearby and my kids loved it, especially the touch tank. There are tide pools which are fun, but the beach is not a good one for swimming, the water is too dirty.

• Like 1

I say skip your aquarium plans and just take them to the beach and tide pools at Crystal Cove State Park near Laguna (in same county as Disneyland).

Aquarium of the Pacific is good but sometimes crowded and while it is on the waterfront, there isn't really a convenient place to set up a tent and umbrella, etc.

Cabrillo is much less expensive and there is a beach right there but it's not terrifically scenic since it's more of an industrial harbor than a seashore.

• Like 3

A few years ago (on a trip to Disney) we took a day to explore Corona Del Mar beach.  There are lots of rocks for climbing and plenty of tide pools for exploring.  We went to Crystal Cove State Park a couple of weeks ago and didn't think it had as many tide pools as Corona Del Mar.  Maybe we just weren't in the right spot.  Huntington Beach is good if you just want to play in the water, rent bodyboards and end with a campfire in the evening.  No tide pools or anything though.

• Like 5

Do you like museums?

The La Brea Tar Pits

Holocaust Museum

The Getty Museum

The Children's Museum of Los Angeles

are all fairly close to each other.

In Long Beach you could visit the Aquarium and the Queen Mary.

• Like 2

October is frequently Santa Ana winds time and can be warm (although with the crazy weather we've had this year who knows what October will be like). It probably depends on what you consider "warm" but you'd definitely be able to swim/boogie board if you had a wetsuit (which you can rent if you don't have one).

• Like 1

Several of you have mentioned swimming, I had assumed it would be too cold for that. Will the water be warm enough for swimming in mid-October? 

HAHAHA "warm water..."

I spent my 25th anniversary with dh at a friend's condo in Corona Del Mar. GORGEOUS. Love the tide pools and then the beach area.

But the water? BRRRRRRR!

I was used to Atlantic beaches (75-80 degrees) and had no idea it'd be so freakin' cold! We went in July, and I couldn't really even swim. A wet suit would be a must for me.

I just checked Corona's water temp and it's 70 today.

• Like 1

For myself 70 is definitely not  a good swimming temp! The kids have been swimming in our pond the last few weeks but I think it's over 70 in spots though some areas feel pretty cold, but it's in the 80's outside so that does make a difference. If it's hot outside they seem to tolerate colder water. We'll bring our swim shorts and rash guards and sweats I guess :001_smile: They can at least splash around.