Menu

Similar to Sonlight

Ausmumof3

Is there a curriculum out there with a similar approach to sonlight that isn't? I want something where I can combine a 9 an almost 7 yo for history and science, with a living book type approach. I would do core c but we have already had and used bits of it this year and I don't really want to repeat. I have done my own thing with the kids this year, and it's been ok but I feel like we do better with a bit more structure.

I will still use singapore for maths but not sure about language arts.

Winter Promise - I just ordered and received American Story 1 to do with my 5 and 7 yo.  I always liked the "idea" of Sonlight.  I love the living books, and I love the schedule and notes all laid out for me.  I really don't love Usborne books or many of the other books they use for history in the early years.  Also, I need more hands on activity suggestions.  I LOVE the choices for WP.  They use living books and the schedule/notes looks quite similar to SL.  They include project/craft packs with options to choose from for hands on learning.  I purchased the Science (1st level), and it uses the Usborne Encyclopedia (which I like) just like Sonlight.  It is quite basic, but that's what I was looking for as I have a 5 yo in the mix.  I also purchased the LA for K and 2.  They have suggestions in the weekly notes on assignments to align with the various history (theme) levels.  So far I am in love!!!!

I have always read a lot of complaints about shipping time and poor customer service.  I was quite hesitant to order.  I decided to take the plunge, and I am so happy.  Within one week of ordering, I received all items (except one).  The only issues I've had was the link to one of the ebooks didn't work, so they sent me another link quickly, and the timeline figures were missed in the packing.  I called yesterday, and they said they would send them right out.  I'm so happy with the whole experience so far.  We start our new year next Monday!!

• Like 2

Winter Promise - I just ordered and received American Story 1 to do with my 5 and 7 yo. I always liked the "idea" of Sonlight. I love the living books, and I love the schedule and notes all laid out for me. I really don't love Usborne books or many of the other books they use for history in the early years. Also, I need more hands on activity suggestions. I LOVE the choices for WP. They use living books and the schedule/notes looks quite similar to SL. They include project/craft packs with options to choose from for hands on learning. I purchased the Science (1st level), and it uses the Usborne Encyclopedia (which I like) just like Sonlight. It is quite basic, but that's what I was looking for as I have a 5 yo in the mix. I also purchased the LA for K and 2. They have suggestions in the weekly notes on assignments to align with the various history (theme) levels. So far I am in love!!!!

I have always read a lot of complaints about shipping time and poor customer service. I was quite hesitant to order. I decided to take the plunge, and I am so happy. Within one week of ordering, I received all items (except one). The only issues I've had was the link to one of the ebooks didn't work, so they sent me another link quickly, and the timeline figures were missed in the packing. I called yesterday, and they said they would send them right out. I'm so happy with the whole experience so far. We start our new year next Monday!!

I already kind of fell in love with the look of their animal themed unit only it looked a bit young for my older one, I'll have to have a look for my older kid. Shopping time is ok as I have six months. Returning stuff that's not right is a pain though as we are in Aus.

I have also been looking for something similar to Sonlight, and I found a couple of options that I am really excited about.  One is Wayfarers, which is good for preschool through grade 12, and you could definitely combine a 7 year old and a nine year old for history and science.  Another is Guest Hollow.  They offer several free curricula for history, geography and science which would work well for combining your children.  The book choices look great too!

Here are the websites:

http://barefootmeandering.com/site/wayfarers/

http://guesthollow.com/homeschool/curriculum.html

• Like 1

Build your library looks interesting, I've never heard of it. But it looks like it goes by grades - would it work for combining?

Yes you can combine and many people go by the level they want to start at versus grades since it uses a history cycle. I am using Grade 1 for my K and 2nd grader this year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like the look of build your library as well. It looks like I would need to add a language arts program as well? Spelling etc? Also given that it uses sotw would it be better to start both kids from grade 1. We are nearly done with child's history of the world so will be ready to start again in the history cycle. Will the books be too young for my son - he will be grade 4 then?

I love the set up with the amazon store as it means you don't end up with doubles as we have quite a few of the books already.

And I just discovered that book shark is basically a secular version of sonlight! Which would deal with one of the things I don't like about sonlight. (we are sort of Christian but not with mainstream ideas and all the missionary stories really are a waste for us). Apparently it has better language arts too. Of course it doesn't get us away from the fact that I've already done half of the books that were meant for the year we will be doing but that might not hurt.

Why are there so many good options...?