Menu

Step parent titles

swellmomma

Step parent title  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Do your children call their step parent mom/dad?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

I didn't vote. I called my stepmother by her first name until some time in my adulthood. She's my other mom now.

My DSS (now an adult) called me by my first name for years. At 6, he wanted to call me mom, and I told him that I was afraid it would hurt his mom's feelings. He talked to her, came back and said I was right. Later, when we had another child, he started calling me mom, to help his little bro keep things straight while learning to talk. He's called me mom ever since, but I think uses my first name when talking to his mom. I don't care what he calls me. Love is love, and I just hope he knows that I love him and support him.

My kids have birth parents. They call them by name, but if they someday choose to use mom, I'm prepared to share. DH has birth parents, and they are another mom and dad, even though they didn't raise him. DH's heart knows the difference. That's all that matters.

• Like 2

My ss14 was 9 when we got married.....almost 5 years. He calls me Scarlett. I sometimes say, "my boys" when talking about him and ds15. But I am very sensitive to how his mom must feel about me being in his life. At drop off i never ask for a hug or expect one. The other day he came to my window and tapped and when I rolled it down he hugged me. His mom was nearby. It was a big day for me.

• Like 2

Am not divorced, but my parents are. We call their spouses by their first names. Two of us had moved out of the house by the time my father remarried, but even the one still there calls my dad's wife by her first name. Given that I was grown when they married, I just refer to her as my father's wife, not as a step-mother. 

Okay, funny story about that.  When I was dating my ex husband, his then 2-year-old son would call me "Daddy Shawn" because I was dating his dad.  My ex-MIL finally said, "Can I at least teach him 'Mommy Shawn'???"  LOL...  So, I was Mommy Shawn for a while and then just became Mom.

• Like 2

You know, I am so detatched from this, that it didn't even occur to me that I DO have a step-mom, and step-sister and two step-brothers! And technically a step-father I guess, kinda...  How do I forget something like that? lol. It's not that I forget, it's just that, I think of her as dad's partner, not as a step-mum (they got together they same year I got married, so I didn't grow up with her). So when you started talking about step-parents, it didn't even click in my mind, she's just dad's partner

I have a good relationship with her, I even gave her a mothers day gift one year. But she is Nardia, she will never be 'mum' to me. And the step-sibs are Nardia's kids, not my siblings (they're much younger than me). My children call her Aunty Nardia, because she is younger than my dad, with minor children herself, and feels too young to be 'Nana Nardia' as much as we tease her about it. And her kids are more like cousins than the aunts and uncles they technically are so they are just called by their first names. 

And we don't talk about my mother and her partner. Ever. I don't even call him by his first name, usually I call him by names I cannot type here  :lol:

I still can't believe I didn't realize when replying to this thread last night that I actually have a step-mum.... lol. 

that sums up what we do with my grandmother's husband. He is nan's husband. there is no way he is my step grandfather.

Okay, funny story about that.  When I was dating my ex husband, his then 2-year-old son would call me "Daddy Shawn" because I was dating his dad.  My ex-MIL finally said, "Can I at least teach him 'Mommy Shawn'???"  LOL...  So, I was Mommy Shawn for a while and then just became Mom.

Yes, I'm quoting myself here to elaborate.  My DSS has always called my parents Grama and Papa.  He was closer to my father than to either of his two blood-related grandfathers.  He has always been one of their grandchildren, nothing less.  Then again, DSS has no relationship with his birth mother anymore.  He told me recently that I was more of a mother to him than she ever was, and he considers me his mom.