Menu

Meaty (mostly) American History for 6th and 7th grader- what are my options

So far I have thought of:

Tapestry probably start with year 2, 4th quarter and move into year 3

Sonlight Core E

Veritas omnibus 3 (maybe too meaty?) or Self paced 1815-present (not meaty enough?) or 6th grade printed materials?

I would love input. We have finished SOTW, and I would love to integrate writing assignments into history this year (but no IEW).

Thanks!

I thought this for grades 9-12?

ITA about SWB's writing lectures. (Didn't mean to delete that part from the quote.)

Hmm. I didn't know that it was designed for high school age. I read it at the library and it didn't look beyond a strong middle school student, but my kids aren't quite there yet so I can't answer from experience. I do know homeschoolers using it for their 7th and 8 th graders.

We are using the Human Odyssey and I find that my rising 5th grader handles it very easily, so I figured their estimation of difficulty was off a bit overall. But maybe that is not so in the AO?

We just finished VP Self-paced 1815- present. It is a good framework, but would need more to be really solid for strong 6th and 7th graders, imo. I'd use books rather than the sp course. The VP catalog has lots of extra resources!!

The worldview and political orientation of Hakim's books is liberal while VP is conservative.

Hmm. I didn't know that it was designed for high school age. I read it at the library and it didn't look beyond a strong middle school student, but my kids aren't quite there yet so I can't answer from experience. I do know homeschoolers using it for their 7th and 8 th graders.

We are using the Human Odyssey and I find that my rising 5th grader handles it very easily, so I figured their estimation of difficulty was off a bit overall. But maybe that is not so in the AO?

It is aimed for ninth graders specifically if you follow the K12 program. I think it's accessible for 7th up through 11th really.

Hakim's Concise version is really good. I'd highly recommend that!

• Like 1

We're using k12 American Odyssey for 7th and 8th grade but I think it would be a bit heavy in size and content for many middle schoolers. We're using it over two years with lots of supplementation and it's great. But I'd probably choose Hakim for middle school if I were putting on a course.