Menu

Hivers with blood sugar issues - a question

Truscifi

Especially ones who are low carb-ish or whole food. What do you eat before a workout?

My sugar dropped after my workout tonight. I ate before we left, a bratwurst and a serving of tortilla chips and a coffee with cream. Not the healthiest, but it was what I had on hand. Anyway, I felt poorly when we got home and tested my levels. I was at 46. :eek:  So I'm thinking I need to eat more/better. I've been doing this a long time, but I've been trying to get back to my healthy eating plan and that has meant cutting my old, processed food pre-workout snack. I need new ideas. Dairy free ones, preferably.

Usually, it's just a handful of nuts. If my levels are running fairly steady, it shouldn't be a problem to work out.  I do keep Clif bars in my glovebox in case of a crash. The peanut butter ones have 41g of carbs, and so they bring my blood sugar up quickly, but the quality of the ingredients are good so I don't feel bad about using it in an emergency.

I'm guessing that you've got some other disruption going on in your life--weaning a baby, excess stress, something going on that contributed to you having a crash.  Sometimes even just eating healthier suddenly when I've been eating badly is enough. My body had been used to dumping a lot of insulin in to counter the carbs I customarily ate and then this time I didn't eat a bunch of carbs.

Only training harder than normal. I test for my 2nd degree in 5 weeks. Also I've been much stricter on my diet lately, sticking to a mostly whole food diet. My calorie count has been lower than normal because of that.

So, I just started lowering my carbs again and have bonked a few times during exercise myself. Yesterday was my best day yet, I ate a whole head of broccoli and some turkey sausage patties, along with my electrolyte drink before my class and had no trouble during my pretty intense 90 min aerial class. Afterwards I had a smoothie, with coconut milk, cream and cherries (about 14 g of carbs).  A couple hrs later I made some lunch and pigged out but didn't go super high carb, ended up around 50 g net carbs for the day.

• Like 1

It doesn't take much of a change to cause an issue. Are you using My Fitness Pal to see if your calories are appropriate for the amount of exercise you are doing? You might need to watch your protein/carb ratio and add a 100-200 cal to make it a step-down transition rather than a jump.  There are lots of awesome whole foods can you can use to help that transition. :)

It doesn't take much of a change to cause an issue. Are you using My Fitness Pal to see if your calories are appropriate for the amount of exercise you are doing? You might need to watch your protein/carb ratio and add a 100-200 cal to make it a step-down transition rather than a jump.  There are lots of awesome whole foods can you can use to help that transition. :)

I do use MFP. I have definitely been running low on calories. Some days I don't even make 1000 calories. I have been working on adding in more healthy fats to increase that. But yesterday I was already at 1000 cal before I worked out.

Did you check your bg ahead of time? I tried doing just a higher carb treat, lower carb homemade lara bar before but I still bonked. This time I just ate my mostly normal breakfast but then had my shake immediately afterward. It seems for me I think I have to make sure I don't scrimp on eating before and eat immediately after. The exercise raises my bg but then drops it hard. I need to have it normal before I start and get some fuel right afterwards to prevent the crash.

coconut oil---I run longer on CO than just about anything else-- If I would suggest you raise all your fats before a workout and have some whole milk with light chocolate afterwards

I will try making my afternoon coffee a bulletproof version to get some coconut oil in.

Did you check your bg ahead of time? I tried doing just a higher carb treat, lower carb homemade lara bar before but I still bonked. This time I just ate my mostly normal breakfast but then had my shake immediately afterward. It seems for me I think I have to make sure I don't scrimp on eating before and eat immediately after. The exercise raises my bg but then drops it hard. I need to have it normal before I start and get some fuel right afterwards to prevent the crash.

I didn't. I will check it before I work out tomorrow.

Nut Butter is my gold standard.

Peanut butter for me is great but you can get the same from almond or sunflower. Calories plus protein plus fat.

I'm insulin dependent, so I test before working out and eat something before if I am low.

I have hypoglycemia, not diabetes, and tend to run low after any exercise.  Any caffeine will cause my blood sugar to drop as it creates an adrenal response, so I definitely avoid that pre-workout.  I eat a high quality protein along with a healthy fat about an hour in advance.  Something like an omelet with veggies and cheese or sour cream, or just scrambled eggs with mozzarella sprinkled over it, or ground turkey with a little cheese and veggies, or almond butter on celery or an apple with a very small glass of 2% milk.  Not huge portions of these foods either.  I used to try a higher carb count but that never worked.  For me, it's all about getting enough protein and fat before a workout.

Good luck!  

I do use MFP. I have definitely been running low on calories. Some days I don't even make 1000 calories. I have been working on adding in more healthy fats to increase that. But yesterday I was already at 1000 cal before I worked out.

If your training is anything like mine (going for my sr brown belt in a couple of weeks), you need to up your calories plain and simple.

My classes are mid morning, so I really had to alter my diet when I first started. I had been surviving on a super low carb/low calorie (no desire to eat) for several years before my first class put me on my a**. After I serious talk with my instructor, I knew a change had to be made. Now I eat a bowl of oatmeal (1/4 cup whole rolled and 1/4 cup quick oats), a pinch of brown sugar, cinnamon, raisins, and chopped walnuts or pecans. I no longer sugar crash. Okay, I no longer sugar crash unless it is a super intense workout and I carry an emergency container of mixed nuts for those days. My daughter has my same sugar issues and has to be equally as careful.

When I was running, I couldn't go for a run in the morning as I wasn't willing to up my carbs at the time. I had no choice but to run in the afternoon because it took that long for me to have enough calories in my body not to pass out.

Bottom line... Eat more food before working out and preferrably a slow burning carby treat about 30 minutes before practice.

• Like 1