Menu

Best museums or monuments in Washington for young 2nd graders? Farrar?

craftyerin

My ILs live in NOVA, and we're here for a week. We've taken the stance that since we're here 1-2x annually, we need only hit a couple of touristy things in any one visit. So far, we've mostly done the zoo and the Air & Space Museum out at Dulles, which is very close to my IL's house. We've taken the kids downtown for a concert at the Kennedy Center, but have not yet done anything on the mall. I thought we'd do one day this trip. What are the best options for young 2nd graders? American History Museum? We did American History in school last year. Natural History? Although we have an excellent Natural Science museum in Houston (where we live). Suggestions? We probably have 3-4 hours of stamina. LOL

My favorite museum with kids is African Art.  It's architecturally cool (underground!), and small enough to be accessible for kids.  But many of the kids I know like Natural History best.  I might combine those two.  

Air & Space on the mall in pretty neat, it has a really neat room full of hands-on physics demonstrations.

Natural History is amazing, but the dinosaur hall is closed for renovations.

American History is okay, but a lot of the kids I've taken there have found it pretty boring - it isn't one I would recommend unless your kids really like American History. Even then, I'd rather do a trip to Mount Vernon.

If you can handle lots of walking, it's worth it to go down the mall to see all the monuments, but it is a good bit of walking.

The National Art Gallery is really amazing if your kids would go for it. They have free phones you can get that will give you a recorded tour for kids at many paintings. It is also right next to the Sculpture Garden which is a big hit with younger kids and a great place to have a picnic lunch.

Although I think the Spy Museum is the coolest, my younger kids got bored there. 

I'd recommend the Washington Monument.

You could work your way through the Junior Ranger program for the National Mall over the course of a couple of visits.

The best part of the American Indian Museum is the kids section.The rest of the museum doesn't do a whole lot for me, but because of the kids section, I think it would be a good choice for kids the age of yours.

The National Portrait Gallery has a neat program whereby you can check out a portrait discovery kit, which my youngest really enjoyed. And it's connected to the Kogod Courtyard, my favorite place in DC.

The Botanic Garden, right next to the Capitol, is a huge hit every time with my kids. And they have great Junior Botanist backpacks you can check out.

Depending on the current exhibits, the Hirshhorn Museum can be very fun. Our little ones enjoyed it the best of all when we visited last year. That and gelato in the National Gallery!

If it's a nice day, I think visiting monuments might be your best bet. 

I think we'll save the Spy Museum until they're older. That's Grandpa's area of expertise (retired CIA), so I'd want to wait until they're old enough to care and hear him talk about it on a tour. I've been before, though, and it is wonderful.

Leaning toward monuments, and Air & Space, esp if dinosaurs are closed at Natural History. Still open to discussion, though!

My youngest was about that age when we visited DC and he had a great time in American History Museum. He isn't any huge history fan but it was really fun. They even had a childrens area in the lowest level. His other favorite thing was the treasury. He is a big money fan and loved watching them print the $$$$$$.

My 7 year old LOVED the children's area on at the National Museum on the American Indian, plus we had the best (albeit pricey) cafeteria food we've ever eaten at the museum's cafe. 

Not downtown and not on the mall, but Mount Vernon was my youngest's other favorite place to visit. As for monuments, the Lincoln Memorial was probably most memorable for her. 

No advice on what to visit but since you are there every couple years I will tell you something neat that just kind of happened for me.

My aunt lives near DC and we were out for my cousin's wedding when my daughter was 2. Took a pic in front of a column at the Lincoln Memorial. We happen to be there again 39 months later and figured it would be neat to see the difference so we took another one. 39 months later, again.

We are due again this Novemember for a photo. We won't make it there but my aunt is coming here in August. I have talked my aunt into take a photo of herself at the same column. When they are here I will get a pic of the two of them and then put my daughter into the column pic. So neat to see the changes and growth over just a few years!

Edited to correct time span... Was off by a year..

• Like 1