Menu

A good portable a/c?

Renai

Hello all,

Does anyone own or know about portable air conditioners? Our windows are too small to accommodate even the smallest window air, so I've been researching these. Our apartment is only 659 sq ft, so not big, although there are walls for the two bedrooms. Oldest dd can sleep in my room if she gets too hot, so I'm not worried about cooling that room so much.

I'm looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2BTAV6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Any suggestions, or things I should look out for?

Thanks.

We bought this one in 2012. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0029XPSAS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

It was our only AC for a year and we use it to supplement upstairs when it's really hot. It definitely helps, but the portables are more expensive and less effective than window units. We didn't have the right windows for window units and they're not allowed in my neighborhood anyway. The portable is definitely better than no AC and is as valuable as a dehumidifier as it is a cooling machine.

If I had to do it all over, I should have just replaced a window and bought a window unit. Our old windows didn't open the right way to accommodate a window unit. A new window would solve the problem. Maybe you need a window that can be removed to put in an AC then replaced when the season is over?

• Like 1

We bought this one in 2012. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0029XPSAS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

It was our only AC for a year and we use it to supplement upstairs when it's really hot. It definitely helps, but the portables are more expensive and less effective than window units. We didn't have the right windows for window units and they're not allowed in my neighborhood anyway. The portable is definitely better than no AC and is as valuable as a dehumidifier as it is a cooling machine.

If I had to do it all over, I should have just replaced a window and bought a window unit. Our old windows didn't open the right way to accommodate a window unit. A new window would solve the problem. Maybe you need a window that can be removed to put in an AC then replaced when the season is over?

Thanks for the link. I wish we could do something like this, but we rent. The landlord must have bought the cheapest, smallest windows he could get away with when building this triplex. :(

We have two.  One for our open plan main level, and one for our upstairs bedroom.  We live in a dry climate and they are our only air.  We've found them to be as effective as our previous window units.  For about two months, without air, our main level averages about 85-90 on a typical day.  We set the air conditioner on 76, and it cools the level down to 76-78 (the kitchen is far from the unit, so it doesn't get as cool).

• Like 1

Oh, Judo Mom's post reminds me. I was able to keep the room temps where the AC was about ten degrees cooler than outside. That was about the limit, but that's cool enough for me. My family who likes to be cold year-round found it inadequate. I was surprised a portable unit could do that much in an open LR/DR/foyer space. It definitely does better in a single room with a door. I'm in a soggy climate.

• Like 1

I just bought a Honeywell on Amazon that was on sale.  We are using it in our living room which is at least 500 sq feet.  It keeps that room below 80. It can't keep it cold in the hottest part of the day since it opens to the kitchen/entry/hall areas. But I know if we put it in a closed room it would rock.  ours has one tube going out.  We did replace the plastic window part with wood.  Very happy with the portable a/c.  Dh had to talk me into it.  Best purchase ever!

• Like 1

We have a Soleus portable a/c. http://www.amazon.com/Soleus-Air-LX-140-Evaporative-Dehumidifier/dp/B000HHJ13I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435796618&sr=8-1&keywords=soleus+air+lx-140&pebp=1435796636955&perid=1W6RT8F6R7B2QM3XKWJV I'm satisfied.  It does not keep things super cool because we have it in an unenclosed living room that opens into the dining room, hall, kitchen etc.  but it keeps me from getting sick.  

• Like 1

I just bought a Honeywell on Amazon that was on sale.  We are using it in our living room which is at least 500 sq feet.  It keeps that room below 80. It can't keep it cold in the hottest part of the day since it opens to the kitchen/entry/hall areas. But I know if we put it in a closed room it would rock.  ours has one tube going out.  We did replace the plastic window part with wood.  Very happy with the portable a/c.  Dh had to talk me into it.  Best purchase ever!

Which one did you get? At this point, I think anything below 80 would be a vast improvement. At night, the heat is radiating off the walls into the house!

Don't hou need to still cut the wall for some tube to drain? I need one of those too, but don't want to drill any holes into my walls.

No, you don't need to cut the wall. There is a window kit, and the hose goes out the window. If you click the link I gave above, there is a video that shows how it works.

I corralled DH as he was heading out the door to work.  He had two points to mention:

1. Pay attention to how condensation is handled.  Some units might have a drip tray you have to empty by hand.
  2. If you can afford a unit that has 2 hoses (instead of 1) it will be more efficient.  One-hose models often use the one hose for both air intake and exhaust.  They can work, but have hotter air (from the cooling process) traveling through the same space as the air the unit is trying to cool.  Two-hose models have separate hoses for air intake and exhaust.

Largely his advice is to check out the features of what you can afford and check out the reviews.  The big advantage of the portable units is they require so little window space, so very small windows should do fine, provided they open.  I hope you find something that works for you!

• Like 2

I corralled DH as he was heading out the door to work.  He had two points to mention:

1. Pay attention to how condensation is handled.  Some units might have a drip tray you have to empty by hand.
  2. If you can afford a unit that has 2 hoses (instead of 1) it will be more efficient.  One-hose models often use the one hose for both air intake and exhaust.  They can work, but have hotter air (from the cooling process) traveling through the same space as the air the unit is trying to cool.  Two-hose models have separate hoses for air intake and exhaust.

Largely his advice is to check out the features of what you can afford and check out the reviews.  The big advantage of the portable units is they require so little window space, so very small windows should do fine, provided they open.  I hope you find something that works for you!

Thanks for that info. I was looking at the condensation thing because a review mentioned it, but didn't know about the 1 vs 2 hose thing. 

I think I'm going to continue researching online, but go by Walmart or Home Depot to take a look at different models.

Hello all,

Does anyone own or know about portable air conditioners? Our windows are too small to accommodate even the smallest window air, so I've been researching these. Our apartment is only 659 sq ft, so not big, although there are walls for the two bedrooms. Oldest dd can sleep in my room if she gets too hot, so I'm not worried about cooling that room so much.

I'm looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2BTAV6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Any suggestions, or things I should look out for?

Thanks.

We have that unit and it works great. We use it in our master bedroom at night. We use it when we don't want to turn on the a/c in the whole house (because it will cool off by about 5am here) but it's too hot to get the sleep.

This unit takes in air through vents on the back, not through the hose. The hose exhausts the hot air out through the window (ours is a patio door).

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

If you live in a humid climate, be careful to check the water level even if the unit is auto-evaporative.  I bought a portable unit a couple of years ago that was not auto-evaporative and it didn't have a way to check the water level.  You can imagine the mess when the water container overflowed.  Emptying the unit was hard for me as well.  I've been told that the auto-evaporative units can overflow in very humid areas as well.  We returned the portable unit and replaced it with a window one. 

• Like 1