Menu

MCT has a new book

From RFWP:

We are launching a new level between levels 3 and 4 of the Michael Clay Thompson Curriculum, and the first book is now available. These new books focus on the vocabulary, grammar, writing, and poetic techniques of the authors of the great classics of English and American literature. The first book, The Vocabulary of Literature, includes examples of the most frequently used words in the classics, word challenges, quizzes, exercises, creative readings, and biographies and photographs of famous authors, all combining to help students to pave a path to a lifetime's enjoyment and love of great literature.

More:

This is the first book in a new level between levels 3 and 4 because we have thought for some time that the gap between the Voyage level and the Magic Lens I/Word Within the Word I level was too large for some students. 

This new level will contain books that focus upon the words, grammar, writing, and poetic techniques of the great classics of English and American literature.

In The Vocabulary of Literature there are ten chapters with examples of the most frequently used words in the classics, word challenges, quizzes, exercises, creative readings, biographies and photographs of famous authors. The aim is to help students to internalize these words, and to pave a wonderful path to a lifetime’s enjoyment and love of great literature.

Each of the ten lessons presents ten new classic words, and ten words brought forward from Caesar’s English I and Caesar’s English II, so students have 200 powerful words to learn and use. These are not words chosen arbitrarily for the purpose of a textbook. They are the words most frequently used in classic literature as identified by MCT’s painstaking research and database. They are, therefore, the words he believes â€œmust be known as a necessary component of an educated vocabulary.â€

The principal authors featured: Jack London, Jane Austen, Stephen Crane, Mary Shelley, Frederick Douglass, Henry David Thoreau, Rachel Carson, Mark Twain, Charles Dickens, and George Eliot.  Because we love literature and visiting writers’ houses, we have included not only their portraits, but also our photographs of where they wrote and with what, including Jane Austen’s tiny writing table and Dickens’s desk. Jane Austen’s house is featured on the cover of the student book and Rudyard Kipling’s house is onthe teacher manual.

http://www.rfwp.com/book/the-vocabulary-of-literature

• Like 4

"Each of the ten lessons presents ten new classic words, and ten words brought forward from Caesar’s English I and Caesar’s English II, so students have 200 powerful words to learn and use."  Is this intended to be used after Caesar's English II?  In place of both levels of Caesar's English?

Yeah, I'm going to spring for it too.  It looks a lot more fun - and better organized - than Word Within the Word.

So who is buying just the student book and who is buying both?

did you see the samples?  They look identical except some of the words in the teacher manual are bolded.  I wonder if the exams are in the teacher manual?  

Is this just for vocabulary? Or are they planning a full year in between these levels?

I got the impression that this is just the first book in a new series between Voyage and Magic Lens.

• Like 1

I got the impression that this is just the first book in a new series between Voyage and Magic Lens.

While I welcome the new vocab book, I am not sure how I feel about the rest. There was nothing new in Voyage level grammar. I am actually looking forward to Magic Lens for new material.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the Student book for The Vocabulary of Literature yesterday. It looks good - a lot more in the CE style than Word Within the Word is.  It looks good, we will enjoy using it. I didn't spring for the TM, so I won't have the tests that I assume are included with that, but I don't really care about that.  Did anybody else go ahead and buy this?

• Like 3

I got the Student book for The Vocabulary of Literature yesterday. It looks good - a lot more in the CE style than Word Within the Word is. It looks good, we will enjoy using it. I didn't spring for the TM, so I won't have the tests that I assume are included with that, but I don't really care about that. Did anybody else go ahead and buy this?

Not yet, but it's on my list. I was going to buy the TM only and use it. I don't care so much about grammar sections and fill in the blank, so it's OK if answers are included. I like the tests though.

• Like 1

Not yet, but it's on my list. I was going to buy the TM only and use it. I don't care so much about grammar sections and fill in the blank, so it's OK if answers are included. I like the tests though.

Yeah, I guess that is probably what I should have done, it's what I did with the other levels. I don't know why I didn't remember that, but oh well. It will be fine.  It's only 10 lessons, it won't take that long to go through.  It's worth the $15.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...