Menu

RIP Marva Collins

I am a huge fan of hers. I have a fantasy of assembling a crack team of "retired" home school moms to go into bad neighborhoods/ disaster zones and do six week Marva Collins style educational camps to help get kids who have been through a flood or earthquake or just a bad childhood back up to speed.

• Like 7

Oh I love her writing. Somehow I didn't put it together that she was 78, although that would be obvious if I'd thought about it.

I loved her no-nonsense, no BS, hardworking attitude. The education community (and I count homeschoolers in that) owes her a debt of gratitude.

RIP. 

• Like 2

The castle leaks.

That sums up so much of what Marva Collins taught me. No matter what you have, achieve, or know... Everything has to be maintained. Hard work must happen. Over and over and over. I gleaned much from her writing, but that one phrase comes to me most often.

I read and loved her books. I wish I had been wise enough to glean this wisdom from her writing. Kudos to you. And take a note you moms of young ones! I peaked too early.

• Like 2

I read and loved her books. I wish I had been wise enough to glean this wisdom from her writing. Kudos to you. And take a note you moms of young ones! I peaked too early.

It's from Ordinary Children, Extraordinary Teacher.   :)

I think young people have really gotten a rotten break. We talk about how terrible they are, but think of the diet of happy-ever-after stories in their schools. Well, you know what we tell our children, "Kids, the castle leaks, the castle roof leaks, it has to be painted, the lawn has to be mowed - it has to be maintained."

It's interesting that I didn't even underline the passage when I first read it. The book has countless underlines and stars, but the phrase that stuck with me the longest went almost unnoticed at first pass...it never-the-less rooted in my psyche...

It's underlined and starred now.  ;)

• Like 2