Menu

Online Classes for 3rd/4th grade

moonlight

Are there any?

My 8 year old wants to take an online class next year because his older brother is taking a few classes online next year. I think he sees his excitement and wants something of his own. 

Is there something out there for him? Nothing too difficult. He is not a strong reader or writer. Just looking for something fun for him. Something secular is preferred.

Thanks!

Landry

My 3rd grader took two classes from them last year. She did well. I did check in with her each week and help her when needed, but she was able to do it herself. She is a strong reader and both classes involved quite a bit of reading. I would not have let her take a class in one of her weaker subjects because I wouldn't want her frustrated.

Does the Athena Academy offer classes for 4th grade?

My kids also do Veritas Online and love that.

Bridgeway Academy has some too I think

Landry

My 3rd grader took two classes from them last year. She did well. I did check in with her each week and help her when needed, but she was able to do it herself. She is a strong reader and both classes involved quite a bit of reading. I would not have let her take a class in one of her weaker subjects because I wouldn't want her frustrated.

Does the Athena Academy offer classes for 4th grade?

My kids also do Veritas Online and love that.

Bridgeway Academy has some too I think

Which Landry and Veritas online classes your dd took?I am looking for Literature and composition courses.

Veritas - self paced history Explorers to 1815

Landry - Chronicles of Narnia literature class and marine science class using Apologia Swimming Creatures

Landry does have a writing course for 4th grade and they have more than one lit course. Search their website by what they offer for 4th grade. My dd was in 3rd but was able to keep up in both classes.

Thanks Lexi. could you tell one thing about Chronicles of Narnia literature class at Landry that does it has discussions,assignments ,quizzes and test/exam also?Was the class fruitful for your child?Are the books in this series all secular?Thanks.

There were discussions and projects. There were a few short quizzes over the chapters.

My dd enjoyed it and it encouraged her to set reading goals and continue reading on her own. So it was good for her.

Chronicles of Narnia is not secular. Have you read them?

Landry is not secular either.

Some of those are not books. They look like course names from Landey so I'm not sure.

Little House would probably be ok. The family does attend church and there is some Christian content but I still think they would work.

Many people read Chronicles of Narnia even though it's Christian based. In the books the lion is a metaphor for Jesus and the books are about the battle between good and evil. I think they are very worth reading.

But Landry Academy itself is not secular. The teachers often pray before each online class. So it depends on how you feel about that.

My DD started at Athena's Academy at 2nd grade, but be aware that their classes are designed for Accelerated kids, so look at the reading levels carefully. The writing demands are fairly low -a few sentences or short paragraphs, although as the level gets higher, so do the demands.

Can a 5th or 6th Grader do Anthena's Academy easily?Are there literary elements discussions ,Thinking Question,Author themes,Creative Writing  prompt, literary allusion and vocabulary words discussions for each literature class?Though,the writings are low in each class.If anyone can compare this class to Landry Academy Thematic Literature  classes?Which one would you recommend for?Thanks.

I think a 5th or 6th grader would be frustrated with the Athena's lit classes. My DD did them at age 7-9. Athenas and Online G3 are both designed for kids reading and discussing above grade level, but who are more age-typical when it comes to output.

The books and materials are on a 5th/6th grade reading level. But the average student taking it will be 2-3 years younger than the typical 5th/6th grade reading level. There will be quite a range in output, because some kids are writing long responses, and some are more age-appropriate. The dynamic in the discussions is great-the teacher is awesome at keeping the kids on task and the kids really get involved, but it's going to feel different than a 5th/6th grade class.

I love the instructor, my DD has enjoyed the classes and enjoyed the friends she's made (and got to meet quite a few just recently), but the 5th and 6th graders will not generally be in the 5th/6th grade literature classes, because they will have taken them already. Most of the older kids DD has taken classes with in the past are in classes like the philosophy, investors, geography, or some of the science ones at Athenas, or have moved to other providers like Online G3 for literature, Gifted Homeschoolers Forum Online, CTY, etc.

It's also worth noting that Athena's doesn't grade writing or provide feedback in the intermediate literature classes. 

• Like 1

The books and materials are on a 5th/6th grade reading level. But the average student taking it will be 2-3 years younger than the typical 5th/6th grade reading level. There will be quite a range in output, because some kids are writing long responses, and some are more age-appropriate. The dynamic in the discussions is great-the teacher is awesome at keeping the kids on task and the kids really get involved, but it's going to feel different than a 5th/6th grade class.

I love the instructor, my DD has enjoyed the classes and enjoyed the friends she's made (and got to meet quite a few just recently), but the 5th and 6th graders will not generally be in the 5th/6th grade literature classes, because they will have taken them already. Most of the older kids DD has taken classes with in the past are in classes like the philosophy, investors, geography, or some of the science ones at Athenas, or have moved to other providers like Online G3 for literature, Gifted Homeschoolers Forum Online, CTY, etc.

It's also worth noting that Athena's doesn't grade writing or provide feedback in the intermediate literature classes.