Menu

Anyone's kids transitioning to school next year?

Middle son will be going to a local charter school next year.  Youngest I am not sure about as the charter doesn't have room for him this year (we applied too late).  Not sure if we will put him elsewhere or just wait a year.

I am excited for him but a bit sad to not being HSing him anymore.

Mine is starting 7th grade at parochial school and I am so excited. The last few years have been so difficult to school him and just having him around has been hard. So, we decided he needed to be accountable to someone else, to learn how to be in the classroom, and to have friends his own age. Plus, we really want him to get into the charter high school in our town and he needed some preparation for that. So, off he goes. He didn't do well on the placement test so he's doing summer school, which has been wonderful. He's met some kids and is getting used to the classroom environment on a smaller scale. I was rather offended when they told us he had to take summer school, but I'm seeing it as God's providence in giving him a good transitional time before school starts.

• Like 5

My 3 left at home will be in private school (although they were there this year as well).  They all prefer it now to homeschooling.  We had a problem finding social opportunities in the small town we live in and they are 12, 14, and 16 so social stuff is important to them.  My youngest, 10, will be home with me.

My daughter started at a charter for this past year. She did 6 classes per week (same classes all year) and it was for 1.5 days a week. She LOVED it and actually thrived. This year she is set to be on the same track, but she is also on the waiting list for the charter's Middle School track, which is three full days a week, ALL classes taken with them (they do all their homework at home on Monday / Friday (their two days at home)).

I am actually kind of ready to let go. I just don't think I'm a great homeschool mom for the grades above 6. And I'm feeling it increasingly more frustrating now that my son is going to be entering grade 4 and will need more time (and is very bright, but totally needy with my time).

It's both bitter and sweet.

• Like 1

My daughter started at a charter for this past year. She did 6 classes per week (same classes all year) and it was for 1.5 days a week. She LOVED it and actually thrived. This year she is set to be on the same track, but she is also on the waiting list for the charter's Middle School track, which is three full days a week, ALL classes taken with them (they do all their homework at home on Monday / Friday (their two days at home)).

I am actually kind of ready to let go. I just don't think I'm a great homeschool mom for the grades above 6. And I'm feeling it increasingly more frustrating now that my son is going to be entering grade 4 and will need more time (and is very bright, but totally needy with my time).

It's both bitter and sweet.

If we had the option of doing specific classes a couple days a week, that would be great! I'm kind of cobbling this together on my own with small-group classes, co-ops and tutors. There are still a few things I do with the middle/high schoolers, but it is really good to have other options. 

I am putting my middle two kids in school.  The two elementary and two high school kids will still be homeschooled, although this year my high school kids are taking co-op classes for the first time.

I'm not calling it a transition.  I'm just putting those two kids in school.  

Forgive me.  It's been a job teaching them.  Not sure I did as well at it as I would have liked.  And I pray that going to school will be a blessing for them.   

And if they don't do their homework from school at school, I might just sign them up for the afterschool program as well.  

If we had the option of doing specific classes a couple days a week, that would be great! I'm kind of cobbling this together on my own with small-group classes, co-ops and tutors. There are still a few things I do with the middle/high schoolers, but it is really good to have other options. 

I am actually good with how things have gone. This isn't full blown public school (and yet it is still public school). But I feel like it's a good time for her (and this is what she wants, and I'm okay with it after this last year of charter school, which was our first time ever doing something like that).

Yep. My dd just graduated high school, and my ds will be going to a local private school for high school. On the one hand, I feel bereft. I will miss them both so badly! On the other hand, I feel confident in the choices they have made. It's been a good journey to this point together. The new era will be different, but I trust it will also be good.