Menu

Seeking fellowship from other 5th grade WTMers

I am finding this year to be a big step up from the previous years. It seemed that 1st through 4th grade were essentially the same with perhaps more depth of knowledge as the child grows. This year there seems to be a lot more to coordinate. I still have the basics, history, science, math, Latin and language arts. I am adding a writing curriculum to our R&S English, I have started the "Mind Benders" and I even have a Spanish tutor once a week. Today I am going to get my time line going and we will begin using it in the morning.

I also have a 4 1/2 year old who is hungry, but not always patient while I teach his older sis. I think it will take another week or so to truly get the hang of our expanded school routine while juggling two younger children.

How are the other "entry level" logic stage schoolers adjusting? Who else is also schooling younger children and how is this working out for you?

We are starting full speed tomorrow but started a couple things like outlining over the summer. I have to say I am also finding this a big step up from the grammar stage. We started teh timeline and outlining over the summer, and are adding logic puzzles this week (not mindbenders exactly but similiar), a writing program, also the reading list for history and science is different for me, getting away from basic picture books we have always used into more substantial reading. It is also the first time I have taught my older 2 separately. My son grade 5 was ready for the next level work, my dd grade 4 is not quite so I am keeping her in grammar stage which is new to me. Plus of course my Ker who is also grammar stage. So having to work with 2 stages is a new challenge. By the time for baby hits grammar stage I will have 3 different stages to work with so I figure I will make the most out of only having 2.

I don't have any youngers this time around, but we are ramping up with a lot more writing this year, as well as practicing outlining and keeping a timeline, logic, etc., as you are. We'll be starting an outside Spanish class in the next week or so, with a native speaker. The real challenge for us will come after the time changes. It gets hard for us to get up and moving during the dark days of winter. Right now, as long as we get going about 8, we can get done in a timely manner.

I need to progress with dd's handwriting this year. I have been perhaps too gentle with her because handwriting has been a struggle, just as it was for me as a child. But this year we need to get it down which means a lot more copywork. I think her hands are stronger, and she seems to be handling the extra writing well so far.

Yes, I've laid off of this younger son until now, too. But he seems ready to accept the challenge of more writing this year. We've finished week 4, and he's been writing one or two reports each week, doing separate writing assignments, and doing about two outlines per week, as well. So I'm optimistic. Good luck to you, too!

I can tell you that my 5th grader's days are a lot more full than they were last year. Even with our lean toward LCC, things just seem to take longer, ya know? For instance, math takes longer because we are near the end lessons of MUS Delta and he is doing 5 and 6 digit numbers divided by 2 and 3 digit numbers and those problems just seem to take him longer to do. Plus I added in a formal writing curriculum this year for the first time and it takes him forever to do it. The lessons are going well...just taking longer.

Well, he starts at 8am, takes a break from 12-1, and is supposed to be done by 3pm. So a total of 6 hours. We school 4 days a week year round with occasional weeks off and last week was our first week of 5th grade lessons. In those four days he was only done by 3pm twice.

Our day is about the same. We also break from 12-1. I have considered reducing our lunch break to 1/2 hour, but by the time I got the kids fed I wouldn't get a break at all, and I find I really need it. Schooling until 2 or 3 is different for me also. In the past I found if we hustle, we could often be finished by noon. I think those days are over.

I have a 5th and 2nd this year. I am having a terrible time keeping Pied Piper in work! She is flying through everything, and since Elastigirl still requires quite a bit of hands-on time with me, PiedPiper is finishing all her work them just hanging out. I can't imagine adding anything else, our schedule and day is quite full, she just finishes everything much faster. I am toying with the idea of signing her up for an at-your-own-pace digital scrapbooking class, because she would enjoy it. Or Angelicum's Socratic Discussions, but its just too $$$.

She wrote her first report htis week, a character sketch of Harriet Tubman, and I've really noticed a large leap in her writing ability. Finally!:party:

It's very different having 2 in grammar and 1 in logic. We're also focusing on writing this year. I'm also using TOG for the first time, partially because of some of the skills I want my oldest to learn -- time management, planning out the week's work and taking ownership of it. She's a dawdler, so I'm trying to have a set cut-off time for school and assigning the rest as homework.

I'm assigning grades for the first time. That's a whole new level of record-keeping for me. I'm planning out the whole school year week-by-week, then boiling that down into individual weekly lists, so I can have all the kids' stuff for one week on one sheet of paper. Up until now I've just used Post-It tape flags to keep track of where we are in our books, LOL.

All that is to say... I feel your pain. :D

My oldest is a 5th grader this year, and yes there is a decided jump in the intensity level; some I think is of my own doing, because in some cases we are merely continuing curricula from last year, so I think I am also expecting more, kwim? Like others have mentioned, he seems more willing, and often eager, to do more.

I do feel that his writing has dramatically improved over the past year, now if only his math would progress so quickly...

This is also the first year he has decided to fast during Ramadan (he's not at the age where it's required yet, it was his choice). He has amazing self-control, but it does show in that he is sometimes a bit "dull" during schooltime. We are following a reduced schedule until the end of the month.

I'm assigning grades for the first time. That's a whole new level of record-keeping for me. I'm planning out the whole school year week-by-week, then boiling that down into individual weekly lists, so I can have all the kids' stuff for one week on one sheet of paper. Up until now I've just used Post-It tape flags to keep track of where we are in our books, LOL.

All that is to say... I feel your pain. :D

Oh, It's not painful for me. It is an interesting new challenge. I am a bit the adventurous sort anyways.

I am actually keeping track of dd's work this year using the notebook system. This will be new for me. Up until now I have homeschooled "under the radar" but sooner or later the local PTB will catch up to me and request their pesky NOI and I will give it to them and send them on their merry way... It is time I had something to show them if they do request to see it, and it is also a way to show dd her own progress.

I am not sure how to handle grades though. Tests and worksheets are easy to quantify, but what about more subjective material? What do you grade and how do you do it? How do you handle a grading system without teaching a child to perform for grades, or approval, especially on subjective material?

My oldest dd is 5th grade this year. Although her birthday is early October so in my mind she is technically a 4th so I am in LOGIC STAGE DENIAL!!

She will be outlining more this year. I am outsourcing a writing class as well. We have still not gotten Latin off the ground yet, it is our "lead balloon". Math is great, grammar is great. She reads a ton. I'm not going to get too uptight yet. But thanks for reminding me about Mind Benders! I have some Red Herrings for her to work on too.

Do you like the Red Herrings? How are the problems set up and what skills do they develop? How would you compare them to Mind Benders?

I looked at the Red Herrings book at a curriculum fair & didn't care for it. It seemed like a book of riddles to me -- one question w/ a sometimes (out of the box, I suppose) surprise type answer.

Our library has a series of books by George Shannon of "Stories to Solve". Imo, these are in the same vein as the Red Herrings problems, just in a folklore/short story form vs. a one-question/riddle form. My dc really enjoyed when we read these stories & then brainstormed answers (often during lunch). I'd check your library for these.

Another variation I found (I think at bookclosouts one time) is the Get a Clue books. There are 2 in the series. These are visual riddles & some are fairly challenging & require out of the box thinking. We've also really enjoyed these. I notice the author has some other visual clue books, so I may have to look into those too.

Oh, and I'll be watching this thread too. I have a new 5th grader this year (along w/ a 2nd grader). I'm trying to be more organized (for myself), as well as 'up the ante' for my 5th grader. I think it's too early in our year to say if we're meeting that goal yet....

I have two sons, one in 5th grade and one in kindergarten. My 5th grader is doing well (loves the mindbenders...he does them very quickly and accurately), but he gets distracted by my having his younger brother at the table with him.

I'm going to continue this way to see if my oldest can learn to focus better, but will have to change our timing a bit if he continues to want to jump into everything his younger brother and I are doing! :)

PAM