Menu

What are you using/planning for reading/lit for 6th grade?

Wildwood

DD will be doing Memoria Press literature guides with at least 6 different books, Heidi and The Blue Fairy Book for sure, not sure on the other four. She'll also be reading through the 20 Iowa Children's Choice Award books and reviewing them. Her social studies this year involves reading some historical fiction as well. All the books she reads, she logs with Book Adventure.

• Like 1

Just reading books. We do a short story a month to be discussed in depth and occasionally I'll have them read a book and we'll all discuss together, but mostly we just read.

I did consider doing Mosdos for this year but decided against it so I'm not revisiting it for next year. But it's another option.

• Like 1

My 5th grader will mostly be reading books, but I also have assigned him one book for the whole year – Pilgrim's Progress – that he'll read slowly and illustrate in a hardbound sketchbook with quotes. He likes to draw and is excited about this. 

• Like 2

We started Lightning Literature 7 in the spring for my 5th and 6th grader; will finish it this fall.  Really enjoying it.  We use Christian Light Reading (1/2 year program) and I assign them a book every month or so, but this has helped simplify my planning and working on some literary analysis.  They have done units on Riki-Tiki-Tavi and Tom Sawyer so far; there are a few poetry units, Helen Keller's "The Story of My Life", "All Creatures Great and Small", "Alice in Wonderland", and a short story unit remaining.

https://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/Materials/mItem.aspx?id=8081

B

• Like 1

We started Lightning Literature 7 in the spring for my 5th and 6th grader; will finish it this fall.  Really enjoying it.  We use Christian Light Reading (1/2 year program) and I assign them a book every month or so, but this has helped simplify my planning and working on some literary analysis.  They have done units on Riki-Tiki-Tavi and Tom Sawyer so far; there are a few poetry units, Helen Keller's "The Story of My Life", "All Creatures Great and Small", "Alice in Wonderland", and a short story unit remaining.

https://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/Materials/mItem.aspx?id=8081

B

I'm considering this for my 6th grader next year so it's good to hear it worked for you using it a year early.

• Like 1

I'm considering this for my 6th grader next year so it's good to hear it worked for you using it a year early.

Honestly, I was concerned, esp with my 5th grader who isn't a big reader.  But he is doing great.  There were some things I had to explain in Tom Sawyer (vocabulary and complex phrasing), but he liked reading it.  I will probably read the Helen Keller book aloud.  The assignments are very easy, IMO; those have not been a problem at all.  I think you'll be fine :)

If we do LL8, they will be in 7th and 8th grade them, less of a jump for my younger; not in a rush to get through the program, just enjoying the accountability and scheduling :)

b

We're doing Lightening Lit 7 also for my rising older 5th grader. I think we will add the MCT Time trilogy too + Tuck Everlasting. I also considered doing an autobiography unit expanding on The Story of My Life and I may still do something with that as well. It is fun as they are getting into the middle years to start working on some lit courses by theme.

• Like 1

We're doing Homeschool Book Study's Middle School online class. It is a little different than most online classes (much more affordable, too). Basically you read the books as assigned and get together once per week to discuss briefly. She gives weekly essay prompts, but as my daughter has been on the young end for the class, we didn't write many of the essays (her ability to read/understand was way beyond her ability to produce written output) last year, but will write more this year. Here is a link and the book list for 2015-16:

http://homeschoolbookstudy.com/contact/jr-high-book-study/

• Little Lord Fauntleroy, Frances Hodgson Burnett
  • James and the Giant Peach, Roald Dahl
  • The Fledgling, Jane Langton
  • The Last of the Mohicans, James Fenimore Cooper
  • The Twenty-One Balloons, William Pene du Bois
  • The Long Winter, Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Pollyanna, Eleanor H. Porter
  • Kidnapped, Robert Louis Stevenson

We'll also be reading the following books to go along with our modern history studies:

• Diary of Anne Frank
  • The Boy on the Wooden Box
  • Number the Stars
  • Maus
  • The Book Thief
  • Farewell to Manzanar
  • The Hiding Place
  • Bright Candles
  • Twenty and Ten
  • The Devil's Arithmetic
  • The Upstairs Room
  • Hitler (Marin)