Menu

Brownie recipes? Different kinds?

Kendall

I think we are going to do different types of brownies for my son's rehearsal dinner.  I have looked online, but I want some recommendations by people who have a brownie they make.  Also, do you think they will freeze well for a week or so?

Thanks in advance,

Kendall 

If you want easy, the Ghirardelli mix Costco sells is really good. Switch out the oil for melted butter and use coffee in place of the water. It won't taste like coffee.

From scratch, my current favorite is King Arthur Flour's fudge brownie recipe. Yum!

If you want easy, the Ghirardelli mix Costco sells is really good. Switch out the oil for melted butter and use coffee in place of the water. It won't taste like coffee.

From scratch, my current favorite is King Arthur Flour's fudge brownie recipe. Yum!

This box mix change my life, and it comes in several flavors. I'll never melt chocolate again. Seriously, try this before you do any unnecessary work.

I would assume most brownies would freeze well, although I am pretty sure that has ever happened in our household!

I agree with the Costco girardelli brownie mix. I have always made my MIL brownie recipe and it is fantastic. But now I make the boxed version.

Another variety would be to make a blond brownie. It's like a chocolate chip,cookie to a point. I have a base recipe which you can then vary by adding different chips, nuts, coconut, etc. it's easy Peary and delicious.

This is my go to brownie recipe - rich, chewy, yummy!  From cook's illustrated

http://www.thelittlekitchen.net/chewy-brownies-from-cooks-illustrated-cookbook-giveaway/

These have the character of a really good boxed mix (they scientifically broke down those recipes).  I prefer scratch over most box mixes for addivities, although I have not read the box of the Ghiridelli mix recently.

Cook's Illustrated also does an amazing turtle brownie recipe if you want something a little fancier

http://www.food.com/recipe/ultimate-turtle-brownies-cooks-illustrated-487188

I regularly freeze baked goods and it's always been fine.  Just leave plenty of defrost time because I think this stuff tastes best at room temp. 

Also, I needed a gluten free dessert this week.  I made this flourless chocolate cake which is much more like a rich fudge or brownie than cake and is GF if you have anyone that is.  Everyone who tried it (GF or not) wanted the recipe.  Like a high end dessert out of a fancy bakery.

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/flourless-chocolate-cake-michael-symon

I love cream cheese brownies.  You mix cream cheese, an egg, vanilla, and some sugar...and then plop and swirl on top. :)  I kind of wing it, but here's a recipe for the topping....http://www.food.com/recipe/easy-cream-cheese-brownies-147796

My friend Amy used to put Andes mints in her brownies.  They were delicious.

You can put a layer of dulce de leche or add Rolos to your brownies for caramel brownies.

Don't forget blondies too!

Thank you everyone!  I'm going to bake the first test batch on Friday.  I hope I don't gain too much weight testing brownie recipes!  The 6 kids still at home will probably help me out.

I'd love the recipe that Purple mentioned!