Menu

(Updated)Looking for Lake Vacation in Northeast (Mt Washington? Stowe?)

lisabees

Last year, we had the ideal vacation - Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park.  Beautiful cottage on the water.  Wonderful hiking and kayaking.  Cute town.

We are a family of 8 - most kids are teenagers.

We love good food.  All of us are foodies, for sure.

We would love something similar - town with a modern feel, easily accessible for the teens to roam off on their own.  House on the water - lots of kayaking, hiking, outdoorsy stuff.  It would be perfect if the kids can walk into town from the house.

We thought The Finger Lakes would be good, but we recently checked it out.  Not really the kind of towns we are looking for.

We live outside of Philly and would prefer it to be in the Northeast.

Does anything else sound like it could fit the bill?  Stowe Vermont?  North Conway, NH?  I am starting to stress about this!

Thanks!

ETA:  Someone else on the board recommended Thousand Islands...

UPDATE:  We finally found a place for 8 people on Lake Megunticook, a few miles from Camden Maine.  We are looking forward to our summer vacation!!!  Thanks to all of you for helping us pick!

• Like 2

What about lake placid? 

I am not sure Stowe is on Lake Champlain... Maybe something like Chazy or Saranac Lake.  There are a lot of parts of VT that are on Lake Champlain, I am just not so sure about Stowe. It is a skiing town and super cute though!  My mom loves it and visits often.

New Hampshire has some beautiful lakes and camping, that is for sure.  And if you liked Acadia, what about the rest of Maine. I have stayed, years ago, at a friend's rented house on a huge 'pond' in Maine.

But maybe you want an Adirondack town?  Old Forge? Moose Lake? 

• Like 1

Wolfboro or Merideth NH might fit your criteria.  Both on Lake Winnepesaukee and great little towns for ice cream and some shops. Wolfboro is sandwiched between Winnepesaukee on one side and Lake Wentworth on the other. Wolfboro is about half the size of Bar Harbor with Meridith being a bit smaller still. Both have a bit of the same vibe as Bar Harbor.  North Conway is mostly just one outlet mall after the other and not a place I would let my kids head off to on there own.  Way to much traffic. Both towns are within an hours drive of great hiking in the White Mountains. You can also cruise Winnepesaukee on the Mt. Washington which makes stops in both towns.  They do a great dinner cruise. Meredith is close to Weirs Beach and Funspot which have arcades the kids would enjoy. Avoid the weekend of July 19th as there is a NASCAR race in Loudon, NH and everything is booked solid for miles around unless you enjoy NASCAR in which case it could be the perfect weekend to come. I live in the lakes region of NH so feel free to PM me if I can be of assistance.

• Like 5

I don't know about North Conway(except the LL Bean outlet), but if you want the other end of the Kancamagus Highway... Polly's Pancake Parlor is one of those places I deeply regret we can't visit as a GFCF family. I would include it on any White Mountain/Mt Washington visit.

• Like 2

Thanks so much.  Datgh, both towns in NH look adorable.  Would it fit the criteria for foodies?  

I will look into Lake Placid again.  I was there for the 1980 Olympics.  ;)  We used to go to Lake George often. 

Bummed about North Conway/White Mountains.  There's no cute little town around there?

You could look across the border in Canada. It's their Riviera and tends to be cuter and have better food than the far north in the US.

I thought about Canada.  We go several times a year to Montreal.

Burlington has lots of great food and fun and is on Lake Champlain. I great big puffy heart it!

I love the look of Burlington.  Would you let teens roam on their own?  Where would you suggest renting a house?

I would feel comfortable letting (responsible) teens be on their own in Burlington. They should be extra careful about the Montreal drivers (If you are from Montreal, I kid. If you are not from Montreal, I'm NOT kidding, look out).

I would want to stay in a house on the lake with bike path access. Downtown is lake adjacent- you can have it all!

• Like 2

I thought about Canada.  We go several times a year to Montreal.

I love the look of Burlington.  Would you let teens roam on their own?  Where would you suggest renting a house?

I would absolutely let teens roam a bit in Burlington, it is pretty similar to Ithaca, the two are compared often. A nice commons, excellent restaurants etc.  If you want lake front it might be worthwhile to go either out of the city or across the lake to NY. The lake is a bit less built up on the other side.  There is a ferry that you can take across the lake a Port Kent. There is another ferry across Lake Champlain in Plattsburgh, but that is still about 40 min drive to Burlington. The Port Kent ferry takes you right into the city. If you bring your bike, you can ride the ferry and then ride around Burlington.  It is a very common thing to do in the summer.

• Like 2

Thanks so much.  Datgh, both towns in NH look adorable.  Would it fit the criteria for foodies?  

I will look into Lake Placid again.  I was there for the 1980 Olympics.   ;)  We used to go to Lake George often. 

Bummed about North Conway/White Mountains.  There's no cute little town around there?

North Conway is a great place - but you said you wanted a lake vacation.  It isn't on a lake; it's in the mountains.  We used to go up there to Storyland every year, but it looks from your siggy that your kids are a bit old for that now. ;)

I would concur with something on Lake Winnipesaukee; Meredith and Wolfeboro are indeed the towns on there.  North Conway and the White Mountains are about an hour from there if you wanted a day trip.

• Like 2

I'm not very familiar with eating places in either Wolfboro or Meridith.  I know there are a few in each. I think Meredith probably has the better selection.  I can think of a couple overlooking the lake there that I have enjoyed. Neither town has anywhere near the selection of Bar Harbor.  (We go to Acadia almost every year for at least a week.)  As for towns in the White Mountains, North Conway offers the most as far as restaurants (many good ones for the food lovers in the family) and shopping (mostly outlet malls). You might look for something on the Saco River in North Conway.  It is supposed to be a great river for kayaking, tubing and swimming. From North Conway you can hike, drive or take the Cog Railway to the top of Mt. Washington, visit the Weather Discovery Center (my kids love this), take a train ride through the mountains, rent mountain bikes. take a ride on a zip line (Bretton Woods has one that looks really cool.) take a tram/chair lift to the top of a ski area (we lake the one up Canon Mt.), take in the views off the Kancamagus highway, go over to Franconia Notch and hike up through the Flume, visit the Mt. Washington resort and sit on its back varanda and gaze up at Mt. Washington. The one store in North Conway that my kids always insist on stopping at is Zebs Country Store.  Think penny candy, barrels of pickles and wacky toys.

Another possibility would be finding a place on Great Bay or the ocean near Portsmouth, NH.  Portsmouth is a cool town with neat shops and dining. You would be close to some nice beaches both in Maine and NH. Great Bay is more calm water more conducive to water sports like Kayaking. I will warn you that NH ocean water is cold even in mid summer.

Hope some of this helps.

• Like 1

If you loved Bar Harbor and Acadia, have you thought about Camden? There are lots of rentals on Lake Megunticook, and of course it has the ocean too. It's hard to beat Acadia in my book, but Camden comes a pretty close second. Very cute town, fantastic restaurants of all types, and since its tucked in right between the Camden Hills and state park and the ocean, it's also very outdoorsy. I'd think teens could find plenty to do there on their own.

Camden! That is where we stayed years ago! Yes, it is a super picturesque, classic New England Town, with all the lovely vistas and outdoors you could want. We were there in September so we had the whole town to ourselves, lol. It is lovely. Great for bike riding and hikes. I think that is where we spend the first couple nights of our honeymoon....awww, cute, but lol that I don't quite remember if that was the time we stayed there.

• Like 1

If you choose the Lakes Region of NH, definitely eat at Lemongrass. Their Asian fusion food is my absolute favorite - it beats all of the fanciest restaurants in Boston. It is set back a bit from the road and doesn't look elaborate from the outside, but the chef will blow you away.

Also, you will want to avoid traveling arouns Father's Day as bike week changes the scene and clogs the roads (personally I love the change, but if you are looking for quaint NewEngland pick another week)

• Like 2

I thought I would add that SoulFest (http://www.thesoulfest.com/artists/) is held in Gilford, NH Aug. 6-8 if your family is into Christian music.  My kids have gone the last couple of years and loved every minute of it. It is all held outdoors on different stages at the base of the ski slopes at Gunstock Mtn. so if you don't want to be right on top of the stage you can move up the hill to save your ear drums.

• Like 1

You guys are amazing!!!  Thank you so much!

Okay - I really like the looks of Burlington, Camden and Portsmouth.  

Can you describe the layout of the town versus the water?  If we stayed in a cottage on the water, would it be a walkable distance to town?

What is the general vibe of the town?  Cosmopolitan?  Bohemian?  Very upscale? 

Is it a sprawling town?  Hard to get from one end to another?  Safe for teens to roam freely?

Is there a variety of great food?  You know I have to ask!

What is the landscape like?  Plenty of hiking, biking, kayaking opportunities?

Some people are scaring me away from North Conway.  Why?

Still not sure where to look for a vacation rental in Burlington (on water, by bike path).

Thank you ever so much!!!!

Oh - we took a peek at Ithaca recently.  It was not what we expected.  Too large.  Nobody was around.  Some iffy spots.

Burlington is larger than Ithaca. If Ithaca is too big and has 'iffy spots' (and I live in one of those iffy spots, lol) then you don't want Burlington.

And nobody was around in Ithaca? It's a whole city with two major universities! We just had festival and the downtown was crawling with people, lol.

• Like 1

Of the towns on your short list, Portsmouth is my favorite.  It has shops and nightclubs for the the teens, and is stunningly beautiful.  You will want to visit Newcastle beach - it has a little bit of everything: beautiful lighthouse views, easy access restrooms, tidepools, sandy beach, shady picnic areas, and inexpensive parking.  

ETA: Strawberry bank is another must-see spot there if you enjoy historic museums.

• Like 3

Agree about Portsmouth. You'd be staying on ocean, not lake, but town is very cute, safe, walkable and fun. Fantastic food. Loads of history and charm. I love it. We go frequently for breakfast or just to hang out.

Camden is a harbor town. Is right on the ocean but Lake Megunticook is just outside town (though not walk able to town). It is literally snugged between the ocean and the Camden Hills, of which Camden State Park is the star. Great hiking, beautiful views (you can see as far as Cadillac Mountain in Acadia on a clear day!). Kayaking and sailing on both lakes and ocean. Tons to do. Safe, fun, fantastic food. We are there often. :)

North Conway is a big strip mall. Beautiful location in the mountins, but not a town like the others. Mostly outlet shopping, very generic.

Both Portsmouth and Camden are hip, outdoorsy, and casual. You can dress up if you want to go somewhere fancy, but in this part of the country fleece and comfort pretty much rules. Both have lots of outdoors opportunities in and just outside of town.

• Like 2

There is a lake in NH that I can't remember the name. It is the town where presidential candidates go to start off their campaigns. It also has the only post office on water there. Anyway, this is a fun family lake vacation place.

Lake Winnipesaukee is awesome--it was mentioned up thread with Meredith and Wolfeboro being a couple bigger towns. I haven't been to Wolfboro, but I don't think Meredith is what the OP is looking for (spread out, not so much a village atmosphere). Very beautiful area, however. There is also Squam Lake, but as far as I know, there aren't any towns of the type she's looking for.

• Like 1

Lake Winnipesaukee is awesome--it was mentioned up thread with Meredith and Wolfeboro being a couple bigger towns. I haven't been to Wolfboro, but I don't think Meredith is what the OP is looking for (spread out, not so much a village atmosphere). Very beautiful area, however. There is also Squam Lake, but as far as I know, there aren't any towns of the type she's looking for.

Where we stayed, there was a lot to do walking around - there was a park near the lake shore/beach area that had events, a water slide, stuff on the water, lots of places to eat, etc... I am still blanking at the name of the town.

• Like 1

Agree about Portsmouth. You'd be staying on ocean, not lake, but town is very cute, safe, walkable and fun. Fantastic food. Loads of history and charm. I love it. We go frequently for breakfast or just to hang out.

Camden is a harbor town. Is right on the ocean but Lake Megunticook is just outside town (though not walk able to town). It is literally snugged between the ocean and the Camden Hills, of which Camden State Park is the star. Great hiking, beautiful views (you can see as far as Cadillac Mountain in Acadia on a clear day!). Kayaking and sailing on both lakes and ocean. Tons to do. Safe, fun, fantastic food. We are there often. :)

North Conway is a big strip mall. Beautiful location in the mountins, but not a town like the others. Mostly outlet shopping, very generic.

Both Portsmouth and Camden are hip, outdoorsy, and casual. You can dress up if you want to go somewhere fancy, but in this part of the country fleece and comfort pretty much rules. Both have lots of outdoors opportunities in and just outside of town.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Now, I am just trying to make sense of the areas and trying to find a rental that is available.  You are so wonderful for describing the towns for me!

• Like 1

Burlington is super safe and right on lake Champlain. Stowe isn't on a lake, it's in the mountains. Which is nice, just not lakelike. Burlington has a ton of great restaurants and there's a lot to do there. I'd be comfortable letting teens go off alone - VT is a pretty boring state for crime. 

• Like 2

Burlington is super safe and right on lake Champlain. Stowe isn't on a lake, it's in the mountains. Which is nice, just not lakelike. Burlington has a ton of great restaurants and there's a lot to do there. I'd be comfortable letting teens go off alone - VT is a pretty boring state for crime. 

I am still confused as to where to stay in Burlington.  Any thoughts?

Nothing comes up on vacation rental sites.  Maybe we're too late, even for the "bad" options?

What are you looking for in a rental? On the lake? Walking distance to the lake? Right in downtown? All of the above?  :-) House I'm guessing?

Ha ha!  All of the above would be ideal!  Yes, house.   :)

We would definitely consider in town, if it were walkable to some water activities...

AmandaVT, thank you so much for the links!

I think we may have settled on Camden.

It seems to have more outdoorsy stuff/hiking than portsmouth.

But then again, there's something about Portsmouth that makes me want to go!

Is one town more bike-able than the other?

• Like 1

AmandaVT, thank you so much for the links!

I think we may have settled on Camden.

It seems to have more outdoorsy stuff/hiking than portsmouth.

But then again, there's something about Portsmouth that makes me want to go!

Is one town more bike-able than the other?

http://alltrails.com/us/new-hampshire/portsmouth

This might help you get started for hiking near Portsmouth. Sorry the iPad won't let me add more links. There are lots of state parks nearby, including mountain parks--great for mountain biking also. Portsmouth is right across the water from Kittery, Maine, and there are tons of parks and historical forts, etc to do in that area also. Plus fabulous sand beaches. :).

I'm not sure about biking. It might depend on the time of year--both are pretty crowded during the summer months. After Labor Day the tourists all but disappear so road biking in town might be more comfortable. We bike all summer but usually off the beaten path, meaning almost anywhere outside town and not Route 1.. :)

If you settle on Camden, you'll probably drive right past Portsmouth. Could be worth a stop if your trip allows for doing both. I love both towns so much I imagine it's hard to choose! :)

• Like 1

The Camden area is more biker friendly then Portsmouth. Once you are off Route 1, the back roads are pretty quiet. My sister lives just outside of Camden and I enjoy riding my bike around the countryside when I am there. Be prepared for hills! Portsmouth is a lot bigger and more congested. It is not a place you could ride your bike around. At least I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it.

If you could get a house on the lake in Camden that would be your best bet otherwise there is not to many options in the Camden area for public beaches. If you really want to catch some big waves on the ocean head down to Popham Beach State Park in Bath. It takes over an hour from Camden but is well worth the trip. It is one of my favorite beaches in Maine. When the tide is out, you can walk the sand bars out to an island. Just down the road from the Beach is Fort Popham which is fun to check out.

Camden Hills State Park has some great hikes. Make sure you hike Mt. Battie. It has the best views. Also, hike out the Rockland Breakwater to the Lighthouse for a totally different hiking experience. It is also nice out at Owls Head Lighthouse especially at dusk.

One thing that my sister's family enjoys doing is going out in sea kayaks. I know there are places around Camden that will take you out on a guided tour.

If you enjoy gardening or just looking at beautiful flowers, head on down to Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens in Boothbay. I went last year the end of July and it so surpassed my expectations. It is on par with some of the best in the country such as Longwood Gardens IMO. I will be honest and tell you that my teens were bored but there are some great hiking trails on the property that you could send them off on while you explore the flowers.

If you don't find a place in Camden, you might also consider Boothbay. It is fairly similar to Camden. It just doesn't have the hiking trails, but Camden Hills is only a half hour north.

• Like 1

Sigh. We are having trouble finding a place on the water. We originally decided on Portsmouth, but the deal went through. Apparently Portsmouth is having trouble with troublesome renters.

There's nothing on the water in Camden.

Any other ideas in New England?

I live in NH. We vacation most often in Bar Harbor. (We go back every year). I spent my younger years using Portsmouth as my main "hang out". Totally safe for teens to run amuck. Plenty of places to bike/walk/hike within a short drive, like Odiorne Point. 

Other people have warned about visiting during the NHIS races (NASCAR) and Bike Week -it's easy to google these dates, but you'll also be able to tell because just about everything will be booked. Unless your family is familiar with bike weeks at other locations you may not feel like taking on Bike Week (which is more like ten days) up here. 

One end of North Conway is all outlets. We tend to hang out near the upper end with our kids, where there are smaller shops and things like that. Teenagers could be pretty happy hanging out there (coffee shops, places to sit outside) and it would be safe enough. There are many shorter hikes and walks (Diana's Baths, a set of waterfalls is both popular and easy to get to) and North Conway is an excellent springboard for many shorter trips or longer adventures. I would recommend trying to get to the top of Mount Washington, either by vehicle or cog railroad. (Don't hike it if you aren't exceptionally prepared, please.) 

We did a vacation once up at Moosehead Lake in Maine. Lovely, and quiet, and I can't think of much that would entertain older, independent children after the first day outside of actually using the lake itself. The weather was rainy and cold while we were there in the middle of the summer, so our swimming was relegated to the pool where we stayed. Really cool short trip out to the crashed B52 Bomber memorial, though.

I have many friends who really enjoy Sebago Lake in Maine, as well, but they are campers who return to the same campground each year. I don't know about outside amenities/local features in town. We are at the point where we only camp now, but Burlington was a good trip for friends who camp and like to walk/hike/bike. Others in their group (they were all there for soccer tournament) took advantages of boat tours on the lake and restaurants).

• Like 2

Sigh. We are having trouble finding a place on the water. We originally decided on Portsmouth, but the deal went through. Apparently Portsmouth is having trouble with troublesome renters.

There's nothing on the water in Camden.

Any other ideas in New England?

We rented cabins at Long Sands in York pretty easily when I was a teenager. There are many towns short distances away from Portsmouth that would get you water access but also allow you to visit Portsmouth very easily (some may have a trolley that the kids could take, I think). Look at Hampton, Rye, New Castle. In Maine, for water access but close to that area try York, York Harbor. Wells and Ogonquit are a little farther out, but amazing beaches. Kittery.

• Like 2

Great suggestions, AUP!

Sebago is ok, but there's not really a great town to hang out in independently. Lots of people love the lake, but I'm just meh about it. For power boating it's a good choice, however.

York, Kittery, Ogunquit are all great (especially Ogunquit for hanging out in town), but they are all beach towns and not on a lake. Fabulous beaches, though, and fun vibe. My personal favorite southern Maine beach town is Ocean Park, a funky enclave of Old Orchard Beach. OOB has a pier and a boardwalk with rides, fun in a kitschy, old fashioned and laid back Maine kind of way. Ocean Park is just down the beach and more mellow--we prefer it but there wouldn't be much for teens to do unless they biked or walked into OOB (a very easy bike ride). I would definitely let teens hang out there even after dark when all boardwalk lights are on--it's a favorite summer activity. :)

But...these are all very different from the other towns you were looking at, which may or may not be ok at this point. It is getting pretty late to start looking for a vacation rental here, unfortunately, but not impossible.

• Like 1

You guys are fabulous!  Thank you.

No luck finding anything in the towns you suggested, unfortunately.

I am going to keep looking and looking, though!

AUP - I couldn't find anything about regular trolley service between the towns.  That would have been perfect!

Great suggestions, AUP!

Sebago is ok, but there's not really a great town to hang out in independently. Lots of people love the lake, but I'm just meh about it. For power boating it's a good choice, however.

York, Kittery, Ogunquit are all great (especially Ogunquit for hanging out in town), but they are all beach towns and not on a lake. Fabulous beaches, though, and fun vibe. My personal favorite southern Maine beach town is Ocean Park, a funky enclave of Old Orchard Beach. OOB has a pier and a boardwalk with rides, fun in a kitschy, old fashioned and laid back Maine kind of way. Ocean Park is just down the beach and more mellow--we prefer it but there wouldn't be much for teens to do unless they biked or walked into OOB (a very easy bike ride). I would definitely let teens hang out there even after dark when all boardwalk lights are on--it's a favorite summer activity. :)

But...these are all very different from the other towns you were looking at, which may or may not be ok at this point. It is getting pretty late to start looking for a vacation rental here, unfortunately, but not impossible.

I just got back from my grandparents' cottage in Ocean Park three days ago. :)

• Like 2

Yes! But I thought AUP was talking about towns near Portsmouth. ;)

How about you just plan the trip for us? You would all pick a gem for us, I am sure!

Oops! Maybe I misunderstood! Sorry.

Although, the southern Maine beach towns are very close to Portsmouth. Kittery is just across the bridge, then York and then Ogunquit. But finding a house on the water in any of the towns will be $$$.

• Like 1

I just got back from my grandparents' cottage in Ocean Park three days ago. :)

I hope you loved it! Are the rides in OOB open yet? Today is the first warm day, bummer you had such chilly weather. The boogie boarding there is fabulous in the 6 weeks we get to call summer! :)

• Like 1

I hope you loved it! Are the rides in OOB open yet? Today is the first warm day, bummer you had such chilly weather. The boogie boarding there is fabulous in the 6 weeks we get to call summer! :)

Nothing was open last week. The weather was pretty bad: raining nonstop Sunday through Tuesday, then cold the rest of the week. That wouldn't have been so bad if the forecast hadn't been sunny and 70s when we left so we weren't prepared with only a thin jacket and one log-sleeved shirt each. We still had a great time though. That's what fond childhood memories will do for you!

ETA - Funtown was open on the weekend though and we did get there.

• Like 2

Oops! Maybe I misunderstood! Sorry.

Although, the southern Maine beach towns are very close to Portsmouth. Kittery is just across the bridge, then York and then Ogunquit. But finding a house on the water in any of the towns will be $$$.

No problem!  I am so grateful for all of your help!!!

Still looking...