Menu

So if you lived in FL and were making a road trip to VT, what places...

stephanier.1765

So if you lived in FL (northeast) and were making a road trip to VT, what places would you stop to see along the way? We will pretty much be on I-95 the entire way. DH wants to stop in DC. We both want to see the 9/11 memorial and museum in NY. I've never been to Philadelphia so I'm sure there are few things we'd probably enjoy there. We'll be on the road for 9 days with 2-3 days of that dedicated to a wedding so that gives us lots of time to travel and see things. What place or thing would you recommend?

You might want to stop in Savannah, although you might visit there enough being in NE FL. :)

Maybe Williamsburg or Monticello in VA?  (A little out of your way, but worth the trip IMHO.)

DC definitely allow time for the Smithsonian and a ride on the subway for kids who don't get the chance.  

Hyde Park in NY?  If you go up in NY, then the area around Albany/Saratoga Springs is nice.  

If you go NYC, the Staten Island Ferry is a nice free way to do some sight seeing. :)

• Like 1

You might want to stop in Savannah, although you might visit there enough being in NE FL. :)

Maybe Williamsburg or Monticello in VA?  (A little out of your way, but worth the trip IMHO.)

DC definitely allow time for the Smithsonian and a ride on the subway for kids who don't get the chance.  

Hyde Park in NY?  If you go up in NY, then the area around Albany/Saratoga Springs is nice.  

Actually I've never been to Savannah but I've always wanted to. I'm so glad you mentioned it because southern sights hadn't even crossed my mind. Also, I don't think I've ever been to Williamsburg, as much as we've done those sorts of sights, so that is definitely another good one. I don't know what Hyde Park is so I'm off to Google. 

Thanks for all the ideas. :)

• Like 1

You could spend all your time in DC.  That is a given.  There is just so much to see and do there.  My family has also enjoyed getting up close and personal with the Statue of Liberty. The Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge Mass.is also worth a stop.  Love his work and there is so much US history from the last century to be seen in it. 

• Like 1

What time of year are you going?

My first kneejerk reaction is, I95 the whole way???! Shoot.me.in.the.head.  First of all, if you're going in the summer, the beaches pretty much track 95 (except in Jersey), so you'll be battling beach traffic the whole way.  Second, I95 is crawling with trucks, that's what it's there for.  Third, some of our nation's finest parkways -- the Blue Ridge, Shenandoah, (OK not so much the Garden State but it's still 1000x better than 95), the Taconic, also go North-South.  Go inland!

(why yes, I am feeling a bit opinionated this afternoon, thank you for asking....)

• Like 9

What time of year are you going?

My first kneejerk reaction is, I95 the whole way???! Shoot.me.in.the.head. First of all, if you're going in the summer, the beaches pretty much track 95 (except in Jersey), so you'll be battling beach traffic the whole way. Second, I95 is crawling with trucks, that's what it's there for. Third, some of our nation's finest parkways -- the Blue Ridge, Shenandoah, (OK not so much the Garden State but it's still 1000x better than 95), the Taconic, also go North-South. Go inland!

(why yes, I am feeling a bit opinionated this afternoon, thank you for asking....)

Agree. We drive SC to ME and do 77 to 81 for the mountain drive. That puts you close to Charlottesville also. Then pick up 84 near Scranton and then I'd go 91 in Hartford to get to VT. If you want to see NYC and DC, I'd do 95 going south. You'll pay a lot less in tolls going south.

• Like 1

Heads up, less you get lost. I-95 is not contiguous. North of philly and south of NYC it doesn't connect. To stay on the highway you have to use NJ turnpike and bypass Philly or be prepared for route 1 for a short while north of Philly.

Having said that if you want to see an Ivy League school on your way up, Princeton is beautiful and is near where I-95 ends and you have to go on route 1 to get back on it. I wouldn't call it an all day stop, but if your DH isn't driving and likes beer there is a nice microbrewer there that you can have lunch at. This isn't to imply that you don't like beer, but DH is the beer drinker in this house.

In other stops, I like lake George and Lake Placid in NY. Hyde park is nice also. I also like Bear mountain and West Point. All in NY. I also love Savannah GA. The Chesapeke Bay Bridge Tunnel is also cool but that would have you way off I-95 and bypassing WADC.

• Like 1

Hmmmm, you guys have me intrigued with the no 95 idea. Our trip is scheduled for September and our hope is to see some foliage changing since that is something we are really denied in Florida.

Our plan has been to make a wish list of things we'd like to do or see and then pop in to see the AAA guy for itinerary suggestions (and hopefully some discounts). But I'm going to pass the no 95 idea by dh to see what he thinks. It didn't even occur to us not to use it since 95 and 295 are a way of life for us.

Thank you for all the great ideas. I've been jotting them down on our list.

Hmmmm, you guys have me intrigued with the no 95 idea. Our trip is scheduled for September and our hope is to see some foliage changing since that is something we are really denied in Florida.

Our plan has been to make a wish list of things we'd like to do or see and then pop in to see the AAA guy for itinerary suggestions (and hopefully some discounts). But I'm going to pass the no 95 idea by dh to see what he thinks. It didn't even occur to us not to use it since 95 and 295 are a way of life for us.

Thank you for all the great ideas. I've been jotting them down on our list.

When in September? Foliage season is short and a bit tricky to plan around, but in my neck of the woods, the last week of September is usually good.

After NYC, are you planning to head north in New York State and then cross over, or head into CT and then turn north?

• Like 1

When in September? Foliage season is short and a bit tricky to plan around, but in my neck of the woods, the last week of September is usually good.

It will be the third week. The wedding is the 19th. I do hope to see some foliage. It seems as if it would be one of those soul filling experiences or at least it would be for someone who's never seen it before.

After NYC, are you planning to head north in New York State and then cross over, or head into CT and then turn north?

Oh gosh, I don't know. I am completely clueless. The northernmost place I've ever driven is NYC and that was many years ago so I can't even picture the route in my mind. We are going to Norwich. Which way would be the better for sights or maybe even more scenic? I am up for all advice and ideas.

Another vote to bypass as much of 95 as possible - we also swing west and use 77 / 81. You'll save SO much time. :)

If you're going to spend some time *IN* Vermont, yes, you should see some beautiful foliage there - depending on where you'll be in Vermont, there are actually "scenic byways" that really showcase the autumn colors through the mountains (our family's FAVORITE trip is the Kancamagus Highway across New Hampshire - if you wind up there, stop for ice cream (and maybe even dinner) at the Muddy Moose!).

Ben & Jerry's is in Vermont (factory tour!), as well as the Cabot Creamery (another tour! amazing samples!), and the little ski towns turn out all their quaint New England charm that time of year. *happy sigh*

If you are interested in authors' homes, etc., western Massachusetts has some good ones (well, all of MA does, but you likely won't hit those on your route); if you're in Hartford, Mark Twain's house is one of our favorites, and it's right next to Harriet Beecher Stowe as well.

For me, personally, the "city things" (such as the 9/11 memorial and the museums in NY that you mentioned) are so clumsy with parking / traffic / etc., that they don't qualify on my "stop in for a little bit" list. If I could choose (and I fully realize you maybe can't), I'd save those things for a destination-NY trip, and hit the one-of-a-kind little things instead.

(And a little tip if you do swing out on 81 and are anywhere near Harrisburg, this adorable little candy store is worth the stop. :) http://www.zimmermansonline.com/ Sweet and friendly staff, unique candies, marvelous atmosphere. :) Been stopping in there for years, before we had kids and most especially now WITH the kids. :)

• Like 1

Norwich is not in the mountains, so you might want to drive up through Albany, NY, and then cross over to Bennington and drive through the Green Mountain National forest to improve your chances of seeing good fall foliage.

Are you driving both there and back? If so, you might want to take the shorter way through CT on the way up and then take the slightly longer way on the way back. Foilage will be better after the wedding than before.

• Like 1

Another vote to bypass as much of 95 as possible - we also swing west and use 77 / 81. You'll save SO much time. :)

If you're going to spend some time *IN* Vermont, yes, you should see some beautiful foliage there - depending on where you'll be in Vermont, there are actually "scenic byways" that really showcase the autumn colors through the mountains (our family's FAVORITE trip is the Kancamagus Highway across New Hampshire - if you wind up there, stop for ice cream (and maybe even dinner) at the Muddy Moose!).

Ben & Jerry's is in Vermont (factory tour!), as well as the Cabot Creamery (another tour! amazing samples!), and the little ski towns turn out all their quaint New England charm that time of year. *happy sigh*

If you are interested in authors' homes, etc., western Massachusetts has some good ones (well, all of MA does, but you likely won't hit those on your route); if you're in Hartford, Mark Twain's house is one of our favorites, and it's right next to Harriet Beecher Stowe as well.

For me, personally, the "city things" (such as the 9/11 memorial and the museums in NY that you mentioned) are so clumsy with parking / traffic / etc., that they don't qualify on my "stop in for a little bit" list. If I could choose (and I fully realize you maybe can't), I'd save those things for a destination-NY trip, and hit the one-of-a-kind little things instead.

(And a little tip if you do swing out on 81 and are anywhere near Harrisburg, this adorable little candy store is worth the stop. :) http://www.zimmermansonline.com/ Sweet and friendly staff, unique candies, marvelous atmosphere. :) Been stopping in there for years, before we had kids and most especially now WITH the kids. :)

My dh has said yes to nearly everything you suggested.  Ice cream and candy are right up his alley.  :laugh:

Thank you for your help especially with the route info. We have a lot to plan and think about.

Norwich is not in the mountains, so you might want to drive up through Albany, NY, and then cross over to Bennington and drive through the Green Mountain National forest to improve your chances of seeing good fall foliage.

Are you driving both there and back? If so, you might want to take the shorter way through CT on the way up and then take the slightly longer way on the way back. Foilage will be better after the wedding than before.

We are driving both ways but the wedding is toward the end of our trip so we won't have as much time to explore on the way back. :(

Thank for the info about the mountains. We wouldn't have had any idea that's what we should do.