Menu

Does anyone have a child that takes fencing lessons?

Ds takes fencing once a week. Started when he was seven, I think? Though his coach typically encourages kids to wait till they're eight. (Dd wants to do fencing too, but she's so petite, I doubt she'll be able to handle the equipment till she's closer to ten or so.)

Ds loves it, but we are not currently pursuing it as a focus. You know? I mean, if he really wanted to pursue fencing, he'd need to spend a lot more than an hour a week on it, and I'd have to start purchasing equipment of his own (rather than borrowing from the coach's stock).

It's certainly a good physical workout and requires a lot of discipline.

DS quickly lost interest when he discovered that fencing is NOT wildly swinging a sword around, a la Pirates of the Caribbean. I had told him this repeatedly, but I guess it didn't sink in until he did the class! He did a ten week session, and that was it.

I briefly fenced back in college and liked it. I gave it up because even with the chest protectors, it was just too painful for my large booKs.

Michelle T

Keep in mind that if they like it and get good, that this can be an expensive sport. Tournaments are one weekends, and at some point you will be expected to travel - if you want to get to the good tournamnents - especially ones with college scouts (we aren't doing this yet, they are 14). They will eventually need their own weapons and clothing - when they grow you need new stuff. I'm one of those people that checked 100-200/mo per kid.

That said, it is a wonderful sport for a child that is interested - lots of homeschoolers fence, late nights are common for teens. My sons have grown so much doing this sport, they work with younger kids, referee tournaments, they have gained a great deal of poise and maturity.

We have never regretted it, just wish we had gone into it knowing what we were in for.

My 11 year old son started fencing in April and absolutely LOVES it. He goes once a week for an hour long group class and once a week for an hour long footwork/open fencing class. It is great exercise and requires plenty of thinking and self-control.

If your boys are interested, I would highly recommend it.

Fencing is a sport that can absolutely start at a later age. In fact, I recommend it unless he's really raring to go. The gear is pretty expensive and I can't imagine buying it all for a child who is growing rapidly. We dropped over $300 for my daughter on plastron, glove, jacket, facemask, blade, and shoes. That wasn't even with regulation shoes or pants, which she would have had to buy if she were going to compete. She started at age 14? or maybe 15? At any rate, she was almost finished growing and I was thankful I didn't have to spring for new equipment each year. The blade of course can be used all throughout, but the other stuff was pricey.

Meghan took to fencing like a natural and was shocked at how much exercise she was getting. She said it was like ballet with weapons. She's joined the fencing club in college and is so happy to be back into it. The majority of kids who try it feel that way, so make sure you are up to the financial investment before jumping in.

Barb

Keep in mind that if they like it and get good, that this can be an expensive sport. Tournaments are one weekends, and at some point you will be expected to travel - if you want to get to the good tournamnents - especially ones with college scouts (we aren't doing this yet, they are 14). They will eventually need their own weapons and clothing - when they grow you need new stuff. I'm one of those people that checked 100-200/mo per kid.

That said, it is a wonderful sport for a child that is interested - lots of homeschoolers fence, late nights are common for teens. My sons have grown so much doing this sport, they work with younger kids, referee tournaments, they have gained a great deal of poise and maturity.

We have never regretted it, just wish we had gone into it knowing what we were in for.

Would you mind providing me with a general breakdown of the costs? Dh was asking me about this.

We live in an area where fencing is really popular - two of the women that won Olympic medals this year in fencing are from our general area.

Thanks - Krista

Ds took 3 years of fencing at VAF here in NoVa. Loved it--actually, he took two sessions of regular fencing, then switched to historical swords.

We dropped about 100 bucks a month on it--four lessons a month and two practice times a week, which were open fencing and which ds never went to...

For a non-team player, it's a great way to get in a sport.