Menu

Where to stay near Orlando

EmmaNZ

My DH has a conference coming up in Orlando. Given the destination we have decided to join him and stay a few days extra after the meeting has finished. We hope to do some of Disney, but don't want to do that exclusively. Where should we be thinking of staying if we want a house with a pool for myself and the kids whilst he is busy?

• Like 1

I don't know what your budget is, but check out Windsor Hills. Lots of people rent here for Orlando vacations. I know they have a great pool area. Other resorts that area well liked are Sheraton Vistana and Bonnet Creek, which is actually on Disney property but not Disney owned. International Drive has many well priced hotels.

• Like 1

We hope to go during October 2015 for DDs 15th birthday. Thanks to DawnM here on WTM, we hope to rent a Timeshare for 7 nights, using a ResortCerts.com certificate purchased on SkyAuction.com  At this time the certificates on SkyAuction.com are $260 plus their $20 fee. Much more, if purchased directly on ResortCerts.com   Probably we will stay in Kissimmee.  Have fun!

Bonnet Creek would be my #1 suggestion.  Plenty for you to do without going to the parks, and close enough that if you wanted to do DTD or one of the parks, you could go by yourself or use their transportation (it does cost, but not terribly much).  We rented a house once, and while it was great for space, and had a pool, there wasn't anything else to do.  Bonnet Creek is a much better choice- the grills are great for cooking your own food, the pools are nice and there are lots of them to choose from, or walk from one to another, there is a playground if the kids want to just burn off some energy.  The rooms are nice with plenty of space.

Florida Sun Vacation Homes rents Windsor Hills and other nearby vacation home communities.  We have used them several times and never been disappointed. You get a lot of space for the price this way, and a lot of ammenities, too--great pool with waterslide in addition to the small backyard pool (if you get a pool home), huge playground, game room, movies shown, etc.

Florida Sun Vacation Homes rents Windsor Hills and other nearby vacation home communities. We have used them several times and never been disappointed. You get a lot of space for the price this way, and a lot of ammenities, too--great pool with waterslide in addition to the small backyard pool (if you get a pool home), huge playground, game room, movies shown, etc.

Us too!! We just got back last week from 2 weeks in Orlando- we rented a 3 Bedroom condo from Florida Sun Vacation Homes (at Windsor Hills). This is the 3rd time we have rented from them, and haven't had a single issue. The condos always look exactly, or better than, the pictures- and they have excellent prices.

i know you said "home," but I have to tell you about my very favorite spot in Orlando: Omni Orlando. They have two bedroom villas that are awesome w/ full kitchens, full washers/dryers, rockin' lazy river/pool system.

It's like going to Hawaii without the beach of course, but also without the HIGH price tag.

Neat, neat place.

Alley

We love Orange Lake resort. I believe you can purchase time share points / weeks for the week or rent by the night. They have wonderful condos that are 2-3 bedroom with a kitchen/laundry and so much to do, including amazing pools with a lazy river. We go nearly every year with my grandparents time share and don't even feel the need to go to Disney. 

That being said, if I was going  to Disney  I would probably try and stay on property for my disney days. We love being near the parks and the bus system and everything about staying on property when we're  down there to do Disney :)

It's not a "house," but I would recommend checking out the cabins at Fort Wilderness. It's the campground on the WDW property, and it's truly a resort in its own right. We're a little jaded, since one family member or another has worked for The Mouse for most of our time living in Orlando, which means we don't consider full days in the theme parks to be necessary to a vacation. But we've often stayed at one of the WDW resorts for a few days and had a wonderful time without ever leaving that property. Fort Wilderness is one of our favorites.

They have cabins that include two separate sleeping areas plus an equipped kitchenette. I think they have grills outside, too?

There are a couple of swimming pool, plus playgrounds and all kinds of activities (bike rentals, wagon rides, campfire sing-alongs, tennis, arcades, boat rentals, trail rides, etc.). The Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue dinner show happens in a theatre on the grounds.

• Like 1