Menu

Focused work-outs (as in, for specific "problem areas") anyone?

AimeeM

In my case, it's a "fatty" area around my hips/rear-sides. I can't seem to get rid of it. I'm a good weight, have a good diet, and I workout, but oh my - this area does NOT want to tone up. 

In desperation, I'm trying the hip/buns/thighs portion of Hip Hop Abs.

I thought they were "love handles," but when I google "love handles" it says fatty deposits around the waist area, and for me the fatty is settling below the waist. 

I have read again and again that spot reduction etc won't work. I keep my weight in the same place, it's usually called 'saddlebags' or outer hip area. If that is where the body stores fat, then it needs to be about fat reduction. It isn't your muscles on your hips that are the problem, it is the fat over the hips.

Currently I am doing Tracy Anderson Metamorphasis 'hip centric' for just this issue, but I am not kidding myself. I exercise almost every day anyway and this is just something I am doing for the moment. I have done a lot of things to keep it interesting over the years. I think Tracy works best for folks who don't really have much weight to lose and just need to tighten up. That is NOT me, lol.  However, after doing it for going on 2.5 months my rear end is looking fantastic and my abs are looking great lol. I doubt my hips have changed much.

I have seen the most reduction in this area (not disappearing, lol) when I am doing lots of steady state cardio, so getting on my nordic track for 45 mins at a good clip or running 5k every day etc. But that is more about overall weight loss. I lose weight from the top down, so first my face thins out then my bra gets too big, then my waist shrinks and then...maybe...if I am lucky... my hips get smaller.

If you have never done tracy anderson and you are interested I can give you some tips before you plunge into anything. She's an acquired taste. Her workout is also much harder than you might expect it to be. 

• Like 1

I have read again and again that spot reduction etc won't work. I keep my weight in the same place, it's usually called 'saddlebags' or outer hip area. If that is where the body stores fat, then it needs to be about fat reduction. It isn't your muscles on your hips that are the problem, it is the fat over the hips.

Currently I am doing Tracy Anderson Metamorphasis 'hip centric' for just this issue, but I am not kidding myself. I exercise almost every day anyway and this is just something I am doing for the moment. I have done a lot of things to keep it interesting over the years. I think Tracy works best for folks who don't really have much weight to lose and just need to tighten up. That is NOT me, lol.  However, after doing it for going on 2.5 months my rear end is looking fantastic and my abs are looking great lol. I doubt my hips have changed much.

I have seen the most reduction in this area (not disappearing, lol) when I am doing lots of steady state cardio, so getting on my nordic track for 45 mins at a good clip or running 5k every day etc. But that is more about overall weight loss. I lose weight from the top down, so first my face thins out then my bra gets too big, then my waist shrinks and then...maybe...if I am lucky... my hips get smaller.

If you have never done tracy anderson and you are interested I can give you some tips before you plunge into anything. She's an acquired taste. Her workout is also much harder than you might expect it to be. 

Could you post some general tips here? I am always interested in checking out something new. I do have to be careful because I have back issues that stem from an occasional tight pirifiormis muscle and lately I have added tightness in the hip to it but I think this has something to do with our mattress...

Nope, can't take fat from a specific area.

You CAN make it look... let's say "prettier", lol, by firming up the muscles.  Squats are your best friend.  Lunges, hip adduction/abduction, and anything else that works your tush will also help.  And the more you build the muscles, the better your metabolism will work on all around fat.

<---- Now has a visable collar bone.  Now has 2 fewer inches around the waist.  Now has a rounded tush instead of a flat, wide expanse.  Still carries the same spare tire.  For now. Sigh.

• Like 1

Yeah, you really can't spot reduce the fat in an area, but building up the muscles under it can make it look very different and more solid. I'm not really sure where your problem area is, though. Is it the saddlebags area (outer part of extreme upper thighs, running into your rear end) or love handles (top of hip bones, on the outer parts of your back--this is usually a bit below your natural waist). If it's saddlebags, then doing weighted squats and weighted hip thrusts can make a big difference in the appearance by firming up the muscles beneath it. If it's really the love handle area, I don't know because there's not really a large muscle underneath there that will improve appearance if you build it up.

FWIW, I'm quite thin (within 5 pounds of the bottom of the "healthy weight" BMI range for my height) and doing weighted squats (as heavy as I could do, adding 2.5-5 pounds each day, as I could) made a big difference in the appearance of the back of my upper thighs/saddlebag region. I still have a little fat in the love handle area that bugs me, and I think the only thing I could do to get rid of it would be to lose more weight. That would make me too thin, though, so I've decided to make my peace with a little feminine softness there!

Nope, can't take fat from a specific area.

You CAN make it look... let's say "prettier", lol, by firming up the muscles.  Squats are your best friend.  Lunges, hip adduction/abduction, and anything else that works your tush will also help.  And the more you build the muscles, the better your metabolism will work on all around fat.

<---- Now has a visable collar bone.  Now has 2 fewer inches around the waist.  Now has a rounded tush instead of a flat, wide expanse.  Still carries the same spare tire.  For now. Sigh.

Yes, this is what my trainer told me over and over.  He's a middle-aged, ex-marine and got me into the best shape I've been since I've had kids.  I did four months of semi-private training with mostly him, and we still chat quite a bit when I'm at the gym.

But yes, I still have a belly, and by no means am I 'done."  Everything else is firm, but mine rolls over my c-section scar because I still have some weight to lose.  Technically I'm not overweight now, but losing more weight is in order.  I get frustrated with my belly because clothes don't fit right, and it's enough that certain yoga poses are difficult.

He'd also say that your overall core strength and muscle balance is just as important as focusing on your "problem area."

Some would suggest a "mommy makeover" appointment with a plastic surgeon, but I have zero interest in that.

See, it so much depends on knowing your body.  I am NOT someone to build muscle, but I know from experience that if I do a lot of squats I will actually get bigger thighs.  Much bigger, like almost had to get new pants bigger.  That is when I stopped squats and switched to barre workouts.

• Like 1

OK, you can't spot reduce but you CAN reduce!  If you don't need to lose the fat in other areas, you WILL lose in the areas that do have excess fat!  Just felt that clarification was important.  That said, I agree with redsquirrel about the regular cardio and for me, walking/running and, even more, going to spin class regularly was what did the trick for me.  For whatever reason, running thins out my butt and hips and spinning really helped slim my thighs and legs overall.  I will never have "skinny" legs, but I'm very happy with where I can get MINE.  It's just about finding the combination that works for your body, IMO.  I don't read articles on fitness online anymore--haven't for a while--because there are always studies that counter exactly what is *working* for me.  LOL  

• Like 2

Back in the day this video workout for hips helped me get things stronger and look/feel better. As others mentioned, no weight was lost but I got stronger and firmer. Everyone in the video looks very '80's but the thing I enjoyed about this video is the people are Regular People, not all super-exercise-workout models, iykwim.

Yes, spinning. I'm a hippy girl with a slight saddlebag problem and spinning 3 times a week was the trick! It really did nice things, and the kick-butt intensity felt great. I've always been a 12-14 but when spinning I was a 10!!!! Sigh..alas that was 10 yrs ago and there is no such here. If you can get into a spinning class, try it!

Yeah, you really can't spot reduce the fat in an area, but building up the muscles under it can make it look very different and more solid. I'm not really sure where your problem area is, though. Is it the saddlebags area (outer part of extreme upper thighs, running into your rear end) or love handles (top of hip bones, on the outer parts of your back--this is usually a bit below your natural waist). If it's saddlebags, then doing weighted squats and weighted hip thrusts can make a big difference in the appearance by firming up the muscles beneath it. If it's really the love handle area, I don't know because there's not really a large muscle underneath there that will improve appearance if you build it up.

FWIW, I'm quite thin (within 5 pounds of the bottom of the "healthy weight" BMI range for my height) and doing weighted squats (as heavy as I could do, adding 2.5-5 pounds each day, as I could) made a big difference in the appearance of the back of my upper thighs/saddlebag region. I still have a little fat in the love handle area that bugs me, and I think the only thing I could do to get rid of it would be to lose more weight. That would make me too thin, though, so I've decided to make my peace with a little feminine softness there!

Yes - it's the area that you describe as saddle bags. 

I'm not quite as thin as you, but I'm within "normal" - it isn't my personal happy place, so I wouldn't mind losing 10 lbs, but I do need to be careful because any more than 10-15 lbs puts my doctor in a "not-so-happy" place :P 

So right now, if I lose a bit of weight, I'm good with that, but the primary focus is, I guess, just overall toning.

What is spinning?

Yes, spinning. I'm a hippy girl with a slight saddlebag problem and spinning 3 times a week was the trick! It really did nice things, and the kick-butt intensity felt great. I've always been a 12-14 but when spinning I was a 10!!!! Sigh..alas that was 10 yrs ago and there is no such here. If you can get into a spinning class, try it!

What is spinning?

Group indoor cycling on stationary bikes with an instructor who leads the workout.  Like Soul Cycle if you've heard of that.  (My local rec center has it for about $3 per class if you buy a multiple class pass, but prices vary a lot.)  It usually includes a little bit of everything you can do with a bike--standing or "climbing", speed drills/intervals, heavy resistance, etc.  Sometimes you will even do exercises off the bike for a portion, from yoga to strength training, but that's up to the instructor.  Mine don't.

http://spinning.com/en/about_spinning

I totally agree about spot reducing not existing. That said, firm muscle underneath helps slow the jiggle. I run quite a bit and do yoga. I wear a small size and my weight is fine BUT seven kids do not a flat cute tummy make. I work on it but getting thin enough to lose the middle leaves the rest of me lookin haggard. Don't obsess. Try to focus on health. Really, when we die I don't think our kids will remember our middles or hips.