Menu

Aesop's Fables ideas

This summer (starting this week, actually), I'm going to have my oldest two read some of Aesop's Fables.  I plan on using the morals as dictation/copywork exercises.  But then I got to thinking it would be nice if they could keep each moral in a sort of journal or notebook or some such.  

What have you done with Aesop's Fables?  Other suggestions and ideas for using these short stories would be much appreciated.  

Also, if you have a preferred version or edition that you might like to suggest, that would be great too.  I bought two different editions from Amazon.  One is cloth bound with beautiful illustrations but many of the fables seem abbreviated and many of them do not have the moral explicitly stated.  The second edition I bought has complete fables WITH morals but...the illustrations are black and white.  (Amazon says they are sending me a replacement copy that has color illustrations).

And suggestions for resources that might help with critical thinking/discussion of the morals...

Thanks so much!  

• Like 1

With my oldest we just read them.  He also listened to the audio CD.  We have this Milo Winter edition (http://www.amazon.com/Aesops-Fables-Children-Read---Listen/dp/0486467708/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1431254627&sr=1-3&keywords=aesop%27s+fables+milo)

My youngest completed Royal Fireworks Press's Aesop's Fables series (http://www.rfwp.com/series/aesops-fables-books-about-reading-writing-thinking) this year.  He liked it.    

If you click the lulu.com link in my siggie, you'll see the Aesop copybooks I've made.  I have both manuscript and cursive.

I live the Dover edition (Milo Winter) with audiobook.

Ideas:

Give oral narration.

Draw a scene or character.

Tell the story, but change the characters. (What if the wolf were a shark?)

Change the ending. (If the character would have...)

Tell a different story with the same moral.

Use/make puppets.

Laura Berquist does Aesop with her first grade students.  She reads a fable to the child and has him narrate.  Then she records the narration and has the child illustrate the fable.  Later when the student is fluent at writing he can do copywork.  This is listed as part of Art, which is scheduled once a week.  I believe Milo Winter has nearly 100 fables.  It is a free kindle book:  http://www.amazon.com/Aesop-Children-pictures-Milo-Winter-ebook/dp/B004UJDJ2I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1431360258&sr=8-3&keywords=Milo+Winter+Aesop

Ambleside Online does Aesop with recommending Milo Winter's version in Year 1.

I haven't used these, but Evan-Moor makes an Aesop's Literature Pockets. They might go well with the journal moral entry. ???

Someone on the WTM board recommended Jerry Pinkney's fables book. I have it on my Amazon wish list, but once again, haven't actually seen/used it.

Good luck!