Menu

Anyone else have a child with bifocals? -- Update in Post #1

Junie

I just found out today that dd4 needs bifocals.  I've worn glasses since I was little, but I don't need bifocals (yet).  My mom said she adjusted to bifocals naturally.  Is that normal, or is there usually a learning curve?

We were wondering why she wasn't adjusting to wearing glasses very well.  She got them in February and is still constantly trying to look under or around them.  Now we know that they are making her near vision better, but her far vision worse. It's a pretty strong prescription (her vision is 20/100), but since she is far sighted she needs a lower prescription to see things far away.

Any advice?

UPDATE:  Dd4 got her new glasses over the weekend and has adjusted beautifully.  Thank you to all who viewed/responded to this thread.  I appreciate the advice and encouragement that you gave!

• Like 2

My daughter took a while to get used to her bifocals.  They were her first glasses (age 6), so I'm not sure how much of it was just needing to develop a habit.  My kid takes forever to develop a habit.  ;)  I don't recall any troubles other than forgetting / resisting to keep them on.

I think all three of mine will have bifocals soon. 

One really needs them and can't take them off; both upper and lower lenses have a significant prescription.  She's had glasses since she was 18 mos.  They were single focus for a long time, then at some point they switched over (can't remember exactly when - she's 16yo now).

The other two really only need the lenses for reading or the computer, but if they only have them as reading glasses, they tend to just not use them.  They've both requested bifocals with clear lenses on top so they can just keep them on.

Thank you everyone!!!  

Dd7 got glasses last fall and she adjusted really quickly.  My older kids were disappointed because we were warned that she would walk around like a drunken sailor for a few days and it never happened. :)  She adjusted within hours.

The littlest one we expected to take longer, as she is younger, but she just hasn't been able to get these glasses to work for her.  Hopefully the new ones will be better!  I thought it was strange to get bifocals so young, but I see that many of you have already btdt.  Thank you!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...