Menu

Fashion help? Summer pants may be the death of me.

Halftime Hope

All my adult life, I've been a jeans and t-shirt gal for most of the year.  In summer, I wear long shorts or cropped pants (black and khaki.)  All of it is pretty plain and mix-and-matchable.

Now that I'm working I need some better summer clothes for the office.  I can't wear crops there, but I can wear pants in summery colors.  I'm sick to death of khaki  or very dark charcoal gray slacks, which are the least wintery looking pants I've got.

I'm scared to death of white pants, but that seems to be a "go to" part of nicely dressed women's summer office outfits. (Other summery colors abound too, but I'll have to win the lottery to buy individual outfits.)

Help? Where do you find white slacks that aren't see through and will fit a thin but curvy gal?

TIA!

See, I would go for any other colour first...white wouldn't last a day on me.  I'd spill the first thing I ate on it, and that would be that.

In order to stretch the budget, do you wear skirts?  I often find very nice skirts at thrift stores, or even consignment stores, and the money goes farther that way!

• Like 4

I'd say do skirts too. A good denim or khaki skirt can be part of a summer "uniform" and will go with your mix and match tops. And then you can add in some nicer or more unique ones if you feel like skirts are the way to go.

I feel like white pants are always a mistake. For everyone.

• Like 5

Oh god, white pants...never, ever.  My mom keeps buying them for me, why?

I agree that a casual skirt is a nice option.  And don't forget skorts!  I have a couple from the uniform section of Lands End and they are super comfortable and totally office appropriate. If you could wear khakis then you can wear a khaki skort. 

• Like 2

Honey, I think you need a few long skirts.  You can pair them with a cute white jean jacket (JC Penney's has one I just bought).  Wear a tank under it.  This is a nice but comfortable outfit.

Here are examples:  

Skirt:

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=227393002&vid=2&tid=gppl000001&kwid=1&ap=13&sem=true&mkwid=Ke1UHV95_dc&adid=Cebqhpg+Nqf&pcrid=29942195618&gclid=CjwKEAjw96aqBRDNhM6MtJfE-wYSJADiMfggjIRPX3YyuJahnBUGFmVPe7f_iEIFDTGGIyFV9mZoyRoC2Zjw_wcB

Jacket:

http://www.jcpenney.com/stylus-denim-jacket/prod.jump?ppId=pp5004990740&searchTerm=denim+jacket&catId=SearchResults&_dyncharset=UTF-8

ETA:  The skirt I linked is closest to the one I have.  I wear it unfolded, and it hits the floor.  I am 5'10".  Love that skirt. It's like wearing pajamas.  I pair it with cute strappy flats sandals.

• Like 5

Yes, skirts or dresses with a jacket or cardigan to " office it up". to get some ideas Google tank dress with cardigan and look at the images. I have a couple flowy cool dresses in solids. I not only do the cardigan thing but I also pull a t-shirt over them and every one thinks they are a skirt. I got them cheap, one at Goodwill and one at Dollar General of all places. You could wear them with flats or nice sandals if that is appropriate for your office. White pants and I would last about 6 seconds.

Ok, I'm on the white pants bandwagon. I love them! Everything goes great with them. However, a curvier girl like me might want to go with a nice denim white pant. White from the back in anything other than a heavy fabric like denim shows every bump and roll there is! Coldwater Creek has excellent summer denim I. Other colors than white, too

How about a nice light gray khaki? The gray goes with most things and a light/bright shirt/blouse they'll look nice and summery. I just bought some white linen pants from old navy, I also have some navy linen pants that I'm in love with, they are cool , comfy, look classy or casual and go with so many things.

I have a lot of solid, bright color tops and shirts, mostly in "easter egg colors" or jewel tones:  white would go perfectly with many of them.  I've just never explored the possibility.  A poster upthread mentioned lumps and bumps, and that's what I mean by looking for something thick enough to cover, although I almost always wear tops that are long enough to cover most, if not all, of my tush. 

Those who suggest skirts.  I have a lot of broomstick long skirts, but they are rather passé.  I've managed to pull together a couple of outfits that, because of the particular way the blouse/shirt complements the skirt, are OK.  (People remark that the outfit looks nice.)

I tried on long jersey skirts today, but I will not own a black and white chevron one.  I'd be adding myself to everyone and their mother wearing one. I'd feel like I needed to wear shapewear, so I wouldn't jiggle when I walked = everything is too visible because of the cling.  (I'm seeing a lot of curvy women poured into the skirts.)

Thanks, and keep the ideas coming!

I'm adding my voice to the skirt vote. 

I've put on 10 lbs. in the past year or so and no longer fit into my capris.  I just bought two long skirts today. They are not clingy at all, and oh my goodness, they are so comfortable, it'll be like wearing pajamas to work.  I'm pretty happy about that!!