Menu

Socializing - making & having friends.

Tohru

I have Facebook. I don't like it - it makes me feel left out, depressed, worthless, lonely...yes, my own fault for feeling that way. I only have "acquaintances" there, I don't use it to keep up with anyone, I don't post personal updates.

I am much, much happier without it and I'd love to delete my account (again).

The problem is, all the socialization my young children get is through my Facebook homeschool social groups' communication. They have "friends" through these groups - in a young child sort of way, no one they'd miss if they didn't see - but I don't know where or how to find other places for them to find friends they can see regularly.

The other thing is, I am not new in town, but the season of my life has separated me from my own friends. All my friends have older teens or adult children now, while I'm starting over homeschooling with young ones. It's still fun to get together for coffee every now and then, but I need to find others that have young children too.

It's so hard. I think I'm burnt out.

I get most of my IRL socializing with moms I meet through my children's activities. Dance in particular, because my kids are there for several hours a week and the moms tend to hang out in the waiting area together. I feel I have made some good friends that way, even though we don't interact much outside of dance.

• Like 1

Facebook can make you feel lonely, no doubt, but I would keep it to keep your kids plugged in if you need to. I also wouldn't check it except for messages and I would limit your friends to your kid's friend's parents. There are years when parenting can be lonely. I'm sorry.

• Like 1

I found friends with kids the same age as my kids by becoming deeply involved in a children's activity that they enjoyed. It took 2-3 years for me to really feel part of things and get to know people, rather than feeling like an outsider, more because I am reserved than because of others. It could be a homeschool group, but it could also be sports or dance or theater or (as in my case) a children's choir. Working together to organize things or helping with events gave me the opportunity to get to know folks even though I'm not a naturally chatty person. :) I've made some dear friends, and so have my kids. As a matter of fact, dh and I just had an unexpected date night because all three boys were invited to spend the night/weekend with different choir friends. :D

• Like 1

How's the Meetup.com scene near you? Are there any homeschool Yahoo! groups nearby? Look beyond FB and you might find some options that work better for you.

Yep, Meetup and Yahoo were very popular, but then everyone moved their groups to Facebook. :( Now both are inactive sources.

How exactly is facebook helping to connect them? Do they post about park days or similar activities? On the feed or by private message?

Do they actually communicate with friends themselves?

I am asking because it seems you could find a way to get what you need and ditch the rest.

If one child is old enough, can he/she check for activities? Can a spouse?

If it's just pm's, I think you can get email notification of those or something similar.

It sounds like you really need to avoid the newsfeed parts. :grouphug:

Have you thought about an anti-depressant? Treatment might make a big difference. :grouphug:

• Like 1

When I start feeling that way about FB, I change my shortcut to link directly to the local homeschool group's main page. That way I can click the link and go straight there, and I never have to see my feed. I hate FB too and wish I could delete my account, but I'm part of several groups that I need to stay connected to, so I can't dump it altogether. And there are no useful Meetup/Yahoo groups here either. All the important stuff happens on FB. 

Also, yes, you do sound a little bit depressed and burned out. Can you do anything about that? Can you start making some time to do some things for yourself and maybe meet people that way? Maybe take some time to connect with your old friends again? There's a lot to be learned from those that went before us, and sometimes they like to listen to our stories and share their wisdom as well. Or you can just pretend you don't have kids at all and find other things to talk about! That's easier said than done, though, I know :lol:

:grouphug:

• Like 1