Menu

Meal Ideas

Do you like pasta?

Any kind of salads that you can make into a meal?

Are you looking for winter or summer foods? 

Any kind of soups?  Warm, or cold?  Cold soup = strawberry soup with quesadillas.

How about some type of sandwich?  Grilled cheese, egg or tuna salad, reubens, BLTs, sub sandwiches, or crockpot meat shredded up into a sub roll?

Egg dishes, such as quiche or frittata?

Beans and rice (could make more Mexican-style and serve with cheese, sour cream, etc.)?  Chili?

Homemade pizza?

Our dinner menu this week includes bbq hot dogs, bbq steak, veggie quesadillas, shrimp and rice salad (a cold dish), and some kind of Asian-inspired noodle bowls.

I made this last week.  It was tasty and easy to make.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/open_face_turkey_reubens.html

I didn't use stuff like low fat mayo and low sodium cheese.  I just used regular ingredients.  Except I used reduced sugar ketchup.  Although it calls for a very small amount anyway. 

Oh and I could not find dill relish in the store.  I used sugar free sweet relish.  That worked fine.

• Like 1

I'm in grill season now.  My formula for the next few months will be grilled meat + starchy side + veggies.  Last night this meant chicken fajitas where the meat, peppers, and onions was tossed on the grill and the rice in the rice cooker.  Earlier in the week it was kabobs and pita served with hummus, tabouli, and tzatziki.  You could also go with .. .

steak, baked potato, salad

fish, rice, salad

Pork chops, stuffing, grilled veggies

Burgers, fries, veggie platter

brats, buns, saurkraut or peppers

port tenderloin, green beans, rolls

jerk chicken, grilled pineapple, rice

• Like 2

Hey panda,

Adopt me, please. I wanna eat with you every night. :)

I intentionally left out the scrounging-for-leftovers, cereal, and take-out nights. Don't be too impressed. It IS nice to feel validated. I have one child who likes to protest the whole concept of Grill Season.

• Like 2

A few of our favorites:

All in One Chicken: bone in chicken, in whatever cuts your family prefers + carrots (2" pieces), small boiling potatoes (halved if necessary), pearl onions (frozen is fine), and broccoli florets. Layer in an oven-safe pot with chicken on top of veggies, except broccoli. Toss in about 3/4 c chopped parsley and then add white wine and chicken stock in equal proportions until contents are 3/4 submerged. Bake at 500F for 45 minutes, basting chicken every 15 minutes (I'm lazy and rarely baste). Toss broccoli in for the last 15 minutes. Makes great leftovers, too.

Pork chops and peaches: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/08/pork-chops-peaches-basil-recipe.html

Pork chops au poivre: nice thick, bone in pork chops. In a spice grinder combine 2 parts whole black peppercorn with 1 part each dried rosemary and fennel seeds. Grind coarsely. Brush pork chops with olive oil. Salt each side and coat thickly with pepper mixture. Pan sear on high 2-3 minutes per side and finish cooking in a 450 F oven.

Roast chicken breasts with rosemary or thyme and lemon slices under the skin. I roast on a bed of whatever's in the fridge. Family favorites include yellow onions, red potatoes, fennel, carrots, and green beans.

Spaghetti and meatballs. I actually live Ina Garten's meatball recipe. I double or triple it, bake them, and freeze them. We have about 1 meal's worth left from the hundred I made the day before I went into labor with my now six month old. I skip her sauce and make loads oft own marinara, also frozen separately.

Chicken pesto pasta salad, usually with a spinach pesto. Poached chicken breasts if I have time or shredded rotisserie chicken for those weeks. Tossed with halved cherry tomatoes and peas.

Enchiladas are pretty easy. We buy a big can of sauce, pour some in a 9x11 pan and some on a plate. We dip corn tortillas in the plated sauce, fill with shredded cheese, roll up, and place in a 9x11 pan. When pan is full, top with extra sauce and shredded cheese. Bake 350 for 40 minutes. You can also add ground beef, shredded leftover chicken, etc. Sometimes we top with black olives.

Lots of good chili recipes out there too, from regular chile to black bean, to white bean.

Sometimes we take bone-in skin-on chicken thighs and coat them with almond flour mixed with salt, pepper, and dried herbs. 375 for 1 hour. Start skin-side down and flip at 30-minute mark.