Menu

Instant Pot - which one to buy?

mathnerd

I use my pressure cooker, electric rice cooker and my crock pot a lot. So, to save space in my small kitchen, I am thinking of getting an Instant Pot to replace all those appliances. The stainless steel inner pot is what finally convinced me to buy one. Looking at their website, there are too many models and I don't know which one to pick. I cook beans, rice and soups often. I could start making yoghurt at home if the instant pot had the feature. Can anyone share their experiences? (PS: I first heard about Instant Pot on this forum). TIA!

I have the exact same model that zoobie has and I love it!  I use it all the time for rice, beans, main dish (chicken, beef, soup).  I tried yogurt once, and was not successful, but I think I didn't add enough yogurt as a 'starter'.

• Like 2

I got the one that was available on Amazon prime at the time... How's that for decision-making reasoning? ;)

Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker, 6Qt/1000W, Stainless Steel Cooking Pot and Exterior, Latest 3rd Generation Technology https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLYWNYQ/

I have this one and I love it. It did replace my rice cooker and slow cookers. Yesterday I used it to make chickpeas, seitan, and potato salad.

Did you know you can cook potatoes and hard boil eggs at the same time for potato salad? I don't eat eggs, but the idea of being able to do that tickles me to no end. 4 minutes at high pressure with 1 1/2c of water and a steamer basket - so much nicer than the big pots of water and all that.

It's fairly large so it takes up quite a bit of countertop space, but I use it multiple times a week so it works for me.

• Like 1

I also have that same model from Amazon. I love it! I have used it as a slow cooker, pressure cooker, and made great yogurt with it. i may try pressure canning with it in the fall.

I don't think the pressure gets high enough to be safe per the U.S. guidelines. http://www.hippressurecooking.com/consumer-alert-no-pressure-canning-in-un-tested-multi-cookers/ If you're not a rule follower, carry on. :)

• Like 1

Just bumping this thread because I noticed that Amazon has an Instant Pot on Lightning Deal right now.

Here is the link. The lightning deal price is $113.99. It looks like the price is good until around 5pm EST, unless it sells out first.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLYWNYQ/ref=gb1h_tit_c-2_0842_e4ac1830?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_s=center-new-2&pf_rd_r=1W41ZNP8XHDFGSA9FAP7&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_p=2072380842

I don't know if it's a good price, but I thought I would mention it in case anyone is looking for that particular model. :)

• Like 3

Thank you all. I slacked and missed the lightning deal on amazon :( I have decided to buy the DUO 60 7 in 1 model based on all your recommendations :)

It drops in price occasionally. Check the history on camelcamelcamel :)

• Like 1