Menu

Best Spelling for struggling spellers

Mom28kds

I have a DD and DS who really struggle with Spelling. They will be in 4th and 5th grade. I do need a spelling that is budget friendly.  Any suggestions? I've tried Spelling Workout and Spelling by Sound and Structure. If they learned to spell for the test they struggle remembering how to spell when writing a sentance. Before then, they were just learning to read which didn't come easy. Also, why did you like it? I also will have a 3rd grader so my time is really divided. 

I have a DD and DS who really struggle with Spelling. They will be in 4th and 5th grade. I do need a spelling that is budget friendly.  Any suggestions? I've tried Spelling Workout and Spelling by Sound and Structure. If they learned to spell for the test they struggle remembering how to spell when writing a sentence. Before then, they were just learning to read which didn't come easy. Also, why did you like it? I also will have a 3rd grader so my time is really divided. 

Spalding. Always Spalding. I know your time is limited, but you do have two children who are struggling. Your 8yo would also benefit.

When I taught Spalding in a one-room, mixed-grade school, *all* of the children came up at least two grade levels in their spelling skills by Christmas (we started in August).

Spalding teaches children to read by teaching them to spell--a two-fer, lol--and includes penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, and simple writing. (It can also be grammar and more comprehensive writing, but most of us like to break up the day by using something else for those). There's lead time in learning how to teach it, but once you get going, you're only going to spend an hour, maybe an hour and a half, a day on the most important thing your children need to know. And you can break up the time you spend.

It will cost you less than $50 to buy everything you need, for all of the children. If you can find the fourth edition of the manual (Writing Road to Reading), that would be best.

• Like 1

What type of learners are they? My daughter does well with a pattern-based spelling program (Sequential Spelling) and my son with rules-based (WRTR/Spalding/SWR).

I have never tried pattern based and I think part of the problem is they have trouble remembering the rules, therefore doesn't apply them when writing.  All my kids learned to read using Abeka. 

Disagreeing with Ellie. Always is a fallacy. Spalding did not help my poor spellers. The morpheme approach and visual discrimination exercises in A&P were a better match. You might need to try different approaches until you find what specific approach helps your individual children.

You know, it's ok that you didn't like Spalding. Lots of people don't like Spalding. But honestly, you could have phrased your review differently. "We didn't like Spalding nearly as much as we liked A&P." In fact, you could have just said you really liked A&P without knocking Spalding.

FTR, I didn't use the word "always."

Umm, actually you did which is exactly why I phrased my response the way I did.

I said, "Spalding. Always Spalding." Which means I always recommend Spalding (unless someone specifically says she doesn't want that kind of method), not that it always "works."

You still did not need to make comments about how you didn't like Spalding. You are welcome not to like it. Millions of children learn to read and spell without ever having heard of Spalding. It is just kind of tacky for you to preface your comments about something you do like by criticizing something you don't. I don't criticize any other spelling method when I recommend Spalding.

I said, "Spalding. Always Spalding." Which means I always recommend Spalding (unless someone specifically says she doesn't want that kind of method), not that it always "works."

You still did not need to make comments about how you didn't like Spalding. You are welcome not to like it. Millions of children learn to read and spell without ever having heard of Spalding. It is just kind of tacky for you to preface your comments about something you do like by criticizing something you don't. I don't criticize any other spelling method when I recommend Spalding.

I stated always is a fallacy. That is pretty much a truth about any and every academic recommendation. There isn't always a single answer.

Then I said Spalding did not help my poor spellers. I never even stated a single opinion about Spalding. It is just a fact that it didn't help my poor spellers. It has nothing to do with liking or disliking it.

• Like 3

Oh, please. I stated always is a fallacy. That is pretty much a truth about any and every academic recommendation. There isn't always a single answer.

Then I said Spalding did not help my poor spellers. I never even stated a single opinion about Spalding. It is just a fact that it didn't help my poor spellers. It has nothing to do with liking or disliking it.

Whatever.

No one else felt the need to comment about another product when she made her recommendation.

We have all been posting here long enough to be able to say what we like without making disclaimers about how not everything will work for every body. Therefore I can say that I always recommend Spalding (which is, again, what I meant by "always," not that it always does the job for all children) without having to add that some people are less successful with it than others.

And I don't think this is the first time that you commented on my recommendation of Spalding by saying that it didn't it "didn't help" your poor spellers. That's why I reacted to your comment today.

Whoa. Ellie, not everyone on this forum knows you are a Spalding geek. It could really sound like it's the best one for everyone. FWIW, I have seen you criticizing others who use the "sight word method." And I'm personally more interested in hearing why people did NOT like the curriculums as it often gives me better insight into why I shouldn't waste my money on them. 

OP, you may want to look into All About Spelling as its multisensory method is known to work well for struggling spellers. If you're worried about the budget, you can use the Teacher's Manual alone and have your student write down on white board or paper like we have done. I've heard many others ditched the tiles, too. 

• Like 2

Whoa. Ellie, not everyone on this forum knows you are a Spalding geek. It could really sound like it's the best one for everyone. FWIW, I have seen you criticizing others who use the "sight word method." And I'm personally more interested in hearing why people did NOT like the curriculums as it often gives me better insight into why I shouldn't waste my money on them. 

My siggy says I'm a Spalding geek. :D 

Sight reading has been proven to be a failure over-all. And I don't "criticize" others who do sight reading. I point out that there is significant evidence that proves that *most* children do not learn to read well by being taught to memorize whole words rather than being taught phonics, and I recommend "Why Johnny Still Can't Read," which explains why. I don't say, "I really disliked [insert favorite teach-them-to-read method]. I think you should use Spalding."

My siggy says I'm a Spalding geek. :D

Sight reading has been proven to be a failure over-all. And I don't "criticize" others who do sight reading. I point out that there is significant evidence that proves that *most* children do not learn to read well by being taught to memorize whole words rather than being taught phonics, and I recommend "Why Johnny Still Can't Read," which explains why. I don't say, "I really disliked [insert favorite teach-them-to-read method]. I think you should use Spalding."

I still don't understand why you'd take the other's different experience/opinion on curriculum so personally. 8FillTheHeart simply stated it didn't help her kids and suggested to "try different approaches." She didn't push for a certain method or call it "a failure over-all."

• Like 2

As someone who has tried to fit her child into the Spalding method with miserable results, I have immensely appreciated 8fill's posts, explaining why it doesn't work for certain kids. They are much more helpful than posts just singing the praises of any certain methodology.

Based on 8fill's posts, I'm waiting on my shipment from apples and pears. Thanks :).

• Like 2

For my worst speller, Apples and Pears was the first program which actually led to spelling improvement.

I was going to say Apples and Pears as well. I think the repetition and dictation will help you with the issues you had with retention OP. For my son, all the rules (he knew them) and phonograms (had them down cold), didn't help him spell. I think his issue was a poor visual memory for the word.

• Like 1

I'm another vote for "Spalding didn't work for us."  I think it's an incredibly thorough way for MOM to learn spelling so she can have all the answers when she teaches a more age-appropriate method to her children.

I recommend Apples & Pears for older kids who can handle the writing and the pace.

I've been reformatting an old OOP spelling program to use with my dyslexic and my 8yo (who I suspect is dyslexic too, but he's had the benefit being the 3rd child).  I have the 2nd grade level complete and you can find samples on my blog (linked in siggie).  I am finishing 3rd grade level right now (should be working on that instead of chatting here, LOL)....but....This old Pearson spelling uses the Ayer's list (like Spalding), but goes at a much slower pace, spirals review, and culminates in sentence dictations daily, weekly.  I add in phonogram work, and twist handwriting within b/c handwriting and spelling are so intertwined.  A problem with one usually creates a problem with the other.

IOW - Look through Apples & Pears.  You can look through the whole books on their website.  If that looks like too much, too fast for one or some of your dc, try Essentials in Spelling reformatted. A&P will get an older child spelling well and fast.  My reformatted books will get you there slower, but the daily work is doable for those who REALLY struggle, and it has enough spiral review (in context of sentence dictations) that it sticks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It will cost you less than $50 to buy everything you need, for all of the children. If you can find the fourth edition of the manual (Writing Road to Reading), that would be best.

I am just exploring WRTR, SWR, LOE, and other programs to help my children become better spellers.  They read well and above grade level.  

Why did you say purchase the 4th edition of WRTR?  There is a newer 6th edition and teacher guides available.  I have not had time to review these.  Also, I am not able to go to their site as we are stationed in S. Korea, so we are blocked by Spalding.    I have lots of questions about Spalding and I would love to get additional information from you regarding WRTR.

Thanks so much:)

I am just exploring WRTR, SWR, LOE, and other programs to help my children become better spellers.  They read well and above grade level.  

Why did you say purchase the 4th edition of WRTR?  There is a newer 6th edition and teacher guides available.  I have not had time to review these.  Also, I am not able to go to their site as we are stationed in S. Korea, so we are blocked by Spalding.    I have lots of questions about Spalding and I would love to get additional information from you regarding WRTR.

Thanks so much:)

You do NOT NOT NOT need a teacher guide. It doesn't have any actual teaching--all of the instruction is in the manual (WRTR); the teacher guides are just classroom management. The fourth edition is the last one edited by Romalda Spalding herself. The fifth edition I think has some helpful charts and dialogues and whatnot; the sixth refers to the teacher guide repeatedly, and if you can ignore that and just teach the method in the manual you'd be fine...but just the get the fourth if possible. Everything you need to know is there.

My bad speller definitely improved with Apples and Pears (ITBS scores for spelling went from below average to slightly above average; this for a kid who otherwise tops out stuff like comprehension and vocabulary).

It's no miracle but it definitely helped whereas the list based approaches just didn't seem to do much for her--she'd memorize that stuff for the week then just forget it.

• Like 2