Menu

Alternatives to public library summer reading programs

In a different thread, Blsd Mama needed to cut back on library use to reduce library fines, but also needed alternatives to the library's summer reading program. In case anyone else is looking for online alternatives, here you go:

Book Adventure -- year-round online reading challenge from Sylvan

Power Up: Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge Online

Barnes and Noble: Imagination Destination -- summer reading kit; read 8 books, receive a free book

Spark Your Greatness: Pizza Hut Book-It Summer Reading Challenge -- read and earn prizes

Chuck E. Cheese: Reading Rewards Calendar -- read for 2 weeks and receive 10 free tokens

Pottery Barn Summer Reading Challenge -- complete the specific book list and get a free book

Feed Your Brain: Half-Off Books Summer Reading Program -- read for 300 minutes and receive credit to use to get a book

H.E.Buddy Stores Rockin" Summer Reading Club -- read 10 books, get a prize

• Like 10

http://www.mensaforkids.org/achieve/excellence-in-reading/

How about this one? A free t-shirt when it's complete.

My dd did the K-3rd list, and the books on the list are quite a nice range...everything from lovely picture books to series such as Laura Ingalls Wilder. It would, however, be A LOT to accomplish in a summer since many of the entries are series. Still, you can combine any manner of reading, read-alouds, audio books to count.

It took my dd almost a year to finish all of them, but at the end it was the first reading program that she WORKED at and she was incredibly proud:) she got a neat certificate as well as the t-shirt--although their smallest size is closer to fitting me than my dd, lol. She is hard at work on the 4-6th grade list as her goal for this year.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Yeah, but I do that every day anyway. I want stickers! That I don't have to buy myself!

I'd rather have ice cream that I didn't have to buy myself!  Oh, well.

Hope you read some good books this summer and that the sticker fairy will visit you.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

My dd did the K-3rd list, and the books on the list are quite a nice range...everything from lovely picture books to series such as Laura Ingalls Wilder. It would, however, be A LOT to accomplish in a summer since many of the entries are series. Still, you can combine any manner of reading, read-alouds, audio books to count.

How long it takes would depend greatly on the reading ability and attention span of the child. My DS will likely get through most of them this summer, but he's at the very upper end of the reading level for this list anyway. I'm sure it will take quite a bit longer for him to do the next list (grades 4-6) because more of them will be challenging to him.

For example, the K-3 list contains 64 books, many of which are picture books which he will typically go through at a rate of 2-3 a day (about â…“ of the list he's already read, but I will make him read them again even though MENSA permits him to count up to 10 previously read titles).

Is anyone else just a little concerned that two of the MENSA lists contain (inadvertent) duplicates? The 7-8th grade list duplicates a run of 13 books! I mean, MENSA! - who's doing their proofreading?

I saw that too. You can get the lists in two official formats - the entire program in one PDF and the individual lists in separate PDFs - get both and compare them. I haven't looked them all over yet, but the one book I checked was a simple duplicate rather than a duplicate in place of a book that was then missing (if that made any sense).

It's always worth checking your local bookstores, too. Our favorite used book store has a program that allows the kids to receive store credit as often as once a week, all summer. It's the best offer in the area, but all the bookstores here offer something.