Menu

Book a Week 2015: W16 - Sonnets

Robin M

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's nowhere near Christmas; however, I stumbled on this book at a thrift store yesterday, bought it, and finished it last night.  It's by one of my favorite historical romance authors, and it was a lovely read. 

Coming Home for Christmas: A Christmas in Paradise\O Christmas Tree\No Crib for a Bed by Carla Kelly

"Three soldiers, three generations, finding love at Christmas

1812: A Christmas in Paradise

To save nurse Laura Ortiz from destitution, British naval surgeon Thomas Wilkie has made her an offer this Christmas—a marriage of convenience….

1855: O Christmas Tree

A generation later, it's Thomas and Laura's daughter, widowed lone mother Lilian, who's working as a nurse in the Crimea. Christmas seems a long way away—until Major Trey Wharton helps her bring back the festive sparkle.

1877: No Crib for a Bed

Lilian's son Captain Wilkie Wharton is finally on his way home from Fort Laramie. It's a long, arduous, life-changing train journey…which sees him discover his soul mate and the true meaning of Christmas!"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

I finished Voyager by Diana Gabaldon and although happy at how it ended and want to read the next story in their saga, I am in no hurry whatsoever. It will probably be a few months or more before I dip back into Claire and Jamie's world.  They were constantly going from one fire to another and I'm exhausted just from reading it.  :lol:   Probably need something short and light this week before plunging into Swann's Way and Purgatorio.  Not at the same time, mind you.  That would be just a tad overwhelming. 

Here's another resource for Book Reviews and Literary Weblogs, etc through Literary Saloon.

Bookmarks is a good resource for reviews from around the web as well as a great magazine. I used to get it, then let my sub lapse. Not sure why? Hmm!

• Like 8

I had a long drive today, so I finished listening to The Phantom of the Opera.  I have to say, I was disappointed, and had I not been trapped in the car for 4 hours, I might not have stuck it out.  Remember how the mechanicals in a Midsummer Night's Dream put on the The Most Lamentable Comedy and Most Cruel Death of Pyramus & Thisbe, and how Theseus reads that it is described as "A tedious brief scene . . . very tragical mirth?"  Well, that kept running through my mind as a listened to the almost interminable "ending" of The Phantom of the Opera. It could have been a brief scene, and it could have been tragic, but instead it was tedious and farcical.

I really wanted to like this book. I like Gothic novels - Jane Eyre? I like satire of Gothic novels - Northanger Abbey? I like unreliable narrators - the epistle-writers of Dracula and Frankenstein? and sympathetic, monstrous heroes who we sympathize with while being horrified by - Frankenstein's monster? Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde? But I did not love The Phantom of the Opera. It was neither creepy enough to be scary and Gothic, or quite satirical enough to be a satire. It was mostly just tedious, and insufficiently brief.

I liked the fanfiction Angel of the Opera better - it kept the Phantom as a mysterious, tragic, sympathetic figure, and made Christine's choice feel like a real choice.  The Leroux novel ruined the ending by having this interminable torture session, and having the Phantom devolve into a whiny, immature child.  The novel didn't need another character like that, it already had Raoul!  A great idea, a great antihero, but not a great novel.  I'll stick to endless replayings of the Andrew Lloyd Webber version!  Good thing I like that, because my children are either playing it or singing it pretty much every waking moment.

• Like 8

Here's a book with some noteworthy art ~

The Fairy-Tale Princess: Seven Classic Stories from the Enchanted Forest by Wendy Jones and Su Blackwell

"Seven classic fairy tales, imaginatively retold and illustrated with specially commissioned paper-cut constructions

This is a beautiful collection of seven fairy tales—Sleeping Beauty,The Frog Prince, Rapunzel, Cinderella, Snow White, The Princess and the Pea, and The Twelve Dancing Princesses—organized around the theme of the fairytale princess and retold in a fresh and lyrical voice by Wendy Jones. They are illustrated with glorious papercut sculptures specially created by Su Blackwell. The characters—and the kingdoms they inhabit—emerge from the pages through a series of exquisite paper sculptures. Each tale has a unique visual flavor: while Sleeping Beauty is blue and dreamy, The Princess and the Pea is green and summery. The magic and otherworldliness of traditional fairytale collections meet glorious, contemporary paper constructions in The Fairtytale Princess, which makes a charming addition to the shelf of bedtime stories. Illustrated in color throughout"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

They are illustrated with glorious papercut sculptures specially created by Su Blackwell. The characters—and the kingdoms they inhabit—emerge from the pages through a series of exquisite paper sculptures. 

Wow, I love the sculptures. Before I get this book, I have to decide if I want to spend a week making paper sculptures with DD. She'll go nuts if she sees this.  :)

• Like 7

I just finished Nalini Singh's contemporary romance Rock Addiction; I enjoyed it. I'd previously read the author's paranormal series so this was something new to me.  (Significant adult content.)

"A bad boy wrapped in a sexy, muscled, grown-up package might be worth a little risk...

Molly Webster has always followed the rules. After an ugly scandal tore apart her childhood and made her the focus of the media's harsh spotlight, she vowed to live an ordinary life. No fame. No impropriety. No pain. Then she meets Zachary Fox, a tattooed bad boy rocker with a voice like whiskey and sin, and a touch that could become an addiction.

A one-night stand with the hottest rock star on the planet, that's all it was meant to be...

Fox promises scorching heat and dangerous pleasure, coaxing Molly to extend their one-night stand into a one-month fling. After that, he'll be gone forever, his life never again intersecting with her own. Sex and sin and sensual indulgence, all with an expiration date. No ties, no regrets. Too late, Molly realizes it isn't only her body that's become addicted to Fox, but her heart..."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

I just finished Nalini Singh's contemporary romance Rock Addiction; I enjoyed it. I'd previously read the author's paranormal series so this was something new to me. (Significant adult content.)

"A bad boy wrapped in a sexy, muscled, grown-up package might be worth a little risk...

Molly Webster has always followed the rules. After an ugly scandal tore apart her childhood and made her the focus of the media's harsh spotlight, she vowed to live an ordinary life. No fame. No impropriety. No pain. Then she meets Zachary Fox, a tattooed bad boy rocker with a voice like whiskey and sin, and a touch that could become an addiction.

A one-night stand with the hottest rock star on the planet, that's all it was meant to be...

Fox promises scorching heat and dangerous pleasure, coaxing Molly to extend their one-night stand into a one-month fling. After that, he'll be gone forever, his life never again intersecting with her own. Sex and sin and sensual indulgence, all with an expiration date. No ties, no regrets. Too late, Molly realizes it isn't only her body that's become addicted to Fox, but her heart..."

Regards,

Kareni

My library had this one on overdrive so I will give it a try. I have never read any of Singh's paranormal books so this will be completely new.

I haven't had much uninterrupted reading time the last few days and very few free moments so making little progress. I am supposed to have serveral peaceful hours this afternoon while the kids are at bell practice at a new tower. I wonder what I will find myself doing instead of reading? The other night I ended up climbing the tower (way over 100 steps) to see the view, after learning that there were actually seats in the tower. The view was nice but the stone stairway was frightening and really steep. My legs still feel odd! Bells were great, they were ringing to celebrate St. George's Day.

For the new people here, my kids are on a Church Bell ringing team which seems to mean a lot of travel this year because their previous mentor passed away unexpectedly. Many kind people are inviting them to their events which is lovely.

• Like 8

Are the sculptures in the fairytale book real sculptures that pop out of the book or photos of sculptures?

Robin, that is lovely about your dad.

Mumto2, what a nice supportive thing for the fellow bellringers to do.

I've been reading up on pruning fruit trees and grape vines rather than reading my book.  And I started an audiobook, Trickster's Choice, to help me get started painting again.  I can't explain why Tamora Pierce's books seem to help me to take care of my own affairs rather than being frozen into immobility by worry over the affairs of my adult children or the clan, but somehow they do.  I have painted three pictures now and am hoping painting is back to stay, at least for awhile.  The books are young and preachy and have an emphasis on fighting that I dislike, but somehow they work for me.  I especially like the animal companion bits, being accompanied by several of my own.

Nan

• Like 9

I finished EO Wilson's The Meaning of Human Existence last night. It was well worth it. I find Wilson's books very uneven as far as readability - The Diversity of LIfe is wonderful, but Consilience was totally unreadable for me.  This book fell into the Very Readable category. It's a series of essays where he explores his own life's work as well as other major theories in biology and talks about their implications for human past, history, and future.  It's a surprisingly short little book, for the magnum opus of a life's work.  It's very approachable, but also quite deep.  I found myself thinking that I wanted to read it with my 7th grader, but then realizing that it would mostly be over her head. She'd understand the words, because the book is written very clearly, but most of the arguments would go over her head. It's going on our must-read list after we've covered evolution thoroughly, though.

For biology geeks, his discussion of the theory of inclusive fitness and the evolution of his own beliefs on individual selection vs. group selection was very enlightening - his own views have changed over the years, and he explains why and how. For a more general reader, his discussion of science and the humanities is wonderful. The chapters on Idols of the Mind - Instinct, Religion, and Free Will were wonderful. 

• Like 8

I finished EO Wilson's The Meaning of Human Existence last night. It was well worth it. I find Wilson's books very uneven as far as readability - The Diversity of LIfe is wonderful, but Consilience was totally unreadable for me.  This book fell into the Very Readable category. It's a series of essays where he explores his own life's work as well as other major theories in biology and talks about their implications for human past, history, and future.  It's a surprisingly short little book, for the magnum opus of a life's work.  It's very approachable, but also quite deep.  I found myself thinking that I wanted to read it with my 7th grader, but then realizing that it would mostly be over her head. She'd understand the words, because the book is written very clearly, but most of the arguments would go over her head. It's going on our must-read list after we've covered evolution thoroughly, though.

For biology geeks, his discussion of the theory of inclusive fitness and the evolution of his own beliefs on individual selection vs. group selection was very enlightening - his own views have changed over the years, and he explains why and how. For a more general reader, his discussion of science and the humanities is wonderful. The chapters on Idols of the Mind - Instinct, Religion, and Free Will were wonderful. 

We were able to attend a lecture that Wilson gave back when my son was homeschooled.  As is often the case, it seems, there was a technology glitch between his laptop and the projector.  He and the audience waited patiently as the techies fiddled with this and that.  Finally Wilson rose from his chair and said "For decades I spoke without the help of Power Point.  How about if I do that again?"

He completely engaged the audience.

I recommend Letters to a Young Scientist as an excellent read for students.

• Like 8

We were able to attend a lecture that Wilson gave back when my son was homeschooled.  As is often the case, it seems, there was a technology glitch between his laptop and the projector.  He and the audience waited patiently as the techies fiddled with this and that.  Finally Wilson rose from his chair and said "For decades I spoke without the help of Power Point.  How about if I do that again?"

He completely engaged the audience.

I recommend Letters to a Young Scientist as an excellent read for students.

I just put it on hold! Along with The Social Conquest of Earth, which he referred to several times in The Meaning of Human Existence.

• Like 7

Thanks for all the links to review sites. Will peruse tonight. I am reading three books right now: Prayer by Timothy Keller, which is excellent but dense. An excellent read for those who want to better understand the meaning and practice of prayer; Emma, which I love--alternating between the audio and the Kindle version, depending on where I am--I like to listen in the car. and my older has gotten into it as well; finally, Arcadia. I just began this last one and it is beautifully written. I also downloaded Counterfeit Gods by Timothy Keller on audible, but haven't started it.

Today we are going to the water park and my guess is I will lie there with headphones on listning to Emma while the kids run around.

• Like 8

Are the sculptures in the fairytale book real sculptures that pop out of the book or photos of sculptures?

I haven't seen the book itself. By reading through various reviews, I learned that the book contains photographs of the sculptures.  So, no, it is not a pop up book.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Thanks for all the links to review sites. Will peruse tonight. I am reading three books right now: Prayer by Timothy Keller, which is excellent but dense. An excellent read for those who want to better understand the meaning and practice of prayer; Emma, which I love--alternating between the audio and the Kindle version, depending on where I am--I like to listen in the car. and my older has gotten into it as well; finally, Arcadia. I just began this last one and it is beautifully written. I also downloaded Counterfeit Gods by Timothy Keller on audible, but haven't started it.

Today we are going to the water park and my guess is I will lie there with headphones on listning to Emma while the kids run around.

• Like 6

Earlier I finished Nalini Singh's contemporary romance Rock Hard (Rock Kiss Book 2).  This is a stand alone book with different main characters from the first book in the series that I mentioned yesterday, Rock Addiction.  I liked this book more than the first book; the relationship seemed more developed.  (Adult content)  The book is set in New Zealand, and it was fun to see mentions of places I visited back in 2011.

"Wealthy businessman Gabriel Bishop rules the boardroom with the same determination and ruthlessness that made him a rock star on the rugby field. He knows what he wants, and he’ll go after it no-holds-barred.

And what he wants is Charlotte Baird.

Charlotte knows she’s a mouse. Emotionally scarred and painfully shy, she just wants to do her job and remain as invisible as possible. But the new CEO—a brilliant, broad-shouldered T-Rex of a man who growls and storms through the office, leaving carnage in his wake—clearly has other plans. Plans that may be equal parts business and bedroom.

If Charlotte intends to survive this battle of wits and hearts, the mouse will have to learn to wrangle the T-Rex. Game on."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

I finished Guantánamo Diary by Mohamedou Ould Slahi. A stunning & shocking book that should be required reading for Americans. Quite a few of Slahi's accounts have since been corroborated by declassified reports & documents, as well as various legal actions to bring some of these activities to light (which lends weight to him being a fairly reliable narrator). Slahi's diary shines a bright & damning light on the fundamental shift in American thinking that took place after 9/11 when America walked away from many of its previously-held, basic principles including due process, humane treatment, and justice.

The account becomes more powerful when you realize that Slahi wrote this diary while living under torturous conditions in an isolated & very small bubble (no contact or knowledge of what was going on in the world outside of his cell). Picking up English as his fourth language while imprisoned & using it for his diary, he recounts his background, arrests, tortures, & 'world travels' (being taken to Jordan, Afghanistan, & then Guantanamo) with intelligent observations & an unerring faith in God, while maintaining his humanity in spite of decidedly inhumane treatment.

The diary mainly covers the years 2001-05. Ten years later, his diary has finally been published after years of legal wrangling. (It is almost certain that Slahi has no idea his diary has actually been published.) Although a federal judge ordered Slahi's release in 2010, the US government balked. Slahi remains in Guantanamo &, these many years later, still has not been charged with any crime.

We Americans, especially, need to read this & ask questions of ourselves, our government, our humanity, & our future.

Is this the America we once were? Is this the America we are now? Is this really the America we want to be?

Powerful & required reading.
5 stars.

Btw, there is an informative & excellent introduction to the book written by editor Larry Siems, as well as extensive footnotes & information on various declassified reports & other information that corroborates Slahi's writings. One piece that I looked up based on the footnotes was an op-ed piece in the NY Times: The Women of Gitmo. It is at times like these that I'm not even sure what to say.

(And, this is probably more of a note to myself, but I will probably file this one under North American/USA reading. Even though Slahi has never been in the US -- he is Mauritanian, lived for awhile in Germany & briefly in Canada, later to be imprisoned in Guantanamo -- this book fundamentally reflects US policies put in place after 9/11.)

• Like 8