Menu

math for K?

ktgrok

She can do a bit of basic addition and subtraction orally. Can count to 100 by ones and 10s. Is doing a bit of writing of the numbers, still learning that. Can identify written numbers 1-10. 

Singapore Early Bird looks too easy. CLE 100 was my initial choice, but I'm worried it will move too fast. Maybe Saxon K? Or Horizons?

I want to cover addition and subtraction, not just counting/sorting/etc, as she is VERY interested in it. 

I would choose whatever program you want to use for elementary and then do the placement tests. It's very likely he could start with first grade materials, and slow them down if needed.

DD and I are both enjoying RightStart Math. FWIW, you're describing a kid who would probably skip A and start in B.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I'd go with a full curriculum for K math. I've got a few workbooks from the dollar store or from Barnes & Noble. My one qualm with subtraction workbooks is that I didn't notice that some of them will show an equation like 3-2=1 by pictures of e.g. 3 apples - 2 apples = 1 apple. I don't get that. Visually, that does not make things easier for me, and I doubt it makes things easier for little kids. I much prefer books that show 3 apples with crosses through 2 apples = 1 apple. 

I also do things like add up both sides of the domino when putting dominoes down while playing dominoes, or (skip) counting while we're walking to the playground. My 4yo counted to 579 yesterday before he got too tired (regular counting, not skip counting). I have a few (er, dozens of) apps on my phone related to addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, geometry, etc. They can be used while waiting in a long line at the supermarket or the kids will at times do them spontaneously when given the phone to play with. You can also give kids rulers to measure everything around the house, and do surveys of their friends and family and make simple bar charts or w/e (what's the most common favorite color?), or line graphs for e.g. temperature outside etc.

• Like 1

I'd look into 1st grade levels.

We use Math Mammoth, and she had sample pages for the 1st grade books that include a K review. If she can do those, she could probably do 1st. You can always take it slow.

I just had her do the review and the only struggle she had was with actually writing the numbers, we haven't done much of that. I'll have her start that, but otherwise, I guess maybe I will look at 2st grade stuff. 

Singapore grade 1. The first few units cover addition and subtraction to ten until fluency, then to 40, then onward in 1B. Definitely not K I would think.

FWIW, I write answers for DS but there isn't a ton of writing. I also read word problems aloud.

I used Singapore Essentials with my now 7 year old. It was really easy for him. During his k year he finished both Essentials books and 1a. He also finished Miquon Orange. He does not particularly love math.

My 5 year old did both Essentials books as a 4 year old. She is currently working through Miquon Orange (only when she requests doing math). When she officially starts K this fall I will have her do SM 1a. She loves math and already knows some basic addition and subtraction. Her writing skills are pretty far behind where her brother was at the same age. If we end up doing math orally I'll be ok with that.

Well, I want to do CLE long term, but there is no placement or readiness test for level 1, and they don't have a K program. Which is kind of why I'm floundering, lol.

It sounds like she would be ready for 1st grade in mm, sm, or rs. Those are generally considered fairly rigorous. I would just try cle 100 and see what happens. If it moves too fast, slow down. I can't think of any k level program that would give her much she doesn't already have.

Well, I want to do CLE long term, but there is no placement or readiness test for level 1, and they don't have a K program. Which is kind of why I'm floundering, lol.

I bet she can handle it. If she gets stuck at some point, you can set it aside and do review for a week or two.