Menu

Portland, Oregon restaurant advice sought ...

Kareni

My husband and a group of college friends are planning to visit Portland, Oregon, as a group. I'm looking for two different types of restaurants.

First ~ a good restaurant for a fine dinner out. This could be Italian, seafood, a steakhouse or something other. A good wine list would be appreciated. It need not be a romantic restaurant, but it should have great food and wine. They would be comfortable spending $50 to $100 per person.

Second ~ a place for Sunday breakfast near (or at) the airport. Since many of the men would be flying east, it should be a place that opens early. Your help is much appreciated!

Regards,

Kareni

For that price range, I really like the Urban Farmer. Yum!

Breakfast near the airport-Cascade Station is right next to the airport. Ondreeuh metioned IKEA. There is also an iHop there. Not exciting but close. 

For a Portland experience, they could go for VooDoo Donuts. Then they would understand the pink boxes so many people are carrying around the airport. :) If they are staying Downtown, they could grab donuts on their way to the airport. If they are taking the TriMet to the airport, they could get donuts and then hop on the Red Line which goes straight to the airport.

Personally, I like Blue Star Donuts. But VooDoo are more Portland.

Petite Provence is also yummy! Looks like there is one in the airport. I've been in the airport a ton and haven't seen it. I'm always on one side of the airport, though. Maybe it's on the other.

The Waffle Window is also yummy and fun. The Alberta location has indoor seating and is only about 15 minutes or so from the airport.

• Like 1

Ruth's Chris is a good steakhouse.

Saltys is good for seafood

At the airport, there really isn't much open very early. 

At Cascade Station, 5 minutes from the airport, there is an Ihop which may be open early but check first due to the location. Otherwise for daytime use, there is a BBQ chain restaurant that opens at 11 or so, Starbucks, IKEA at 10am (Blah food but cheap), some fast food lunch places like tacos/pizza/burger places. About 10 minutes away there is a Sherrys (similar to Dennys or Ihop) which is likely 24 hours, and a Panera  (under the overpass).  Several of hotels by the airport may have a restaurant, but I am not sure which ones or if there are any that are decent.   To get good, early breakfast, you will have to do some searching and it likely won't be by the airport.

Portland City Grill and HIggins are good choices.  

• Like 1

Hmm what about breakfast IN the airport? They actually have better restaurants in the airport then close to it. I am not sure what time they are leaving and what would be open though.

That is a definite possibility, Hannah, particularly if nothing else seems like a good option.  Can you recommend any particular airport restaurant?

Regards,

Kareni

That is a definite possibility, Hannah, particularly if nothing else seems like a good option.  Can you recommend any particular airport restaurant?

Regards,

Kareni

I've eaten breakfast at Caper's Cafe before inside the airport. It was pretty yummy. Once you pass the ticket counter, you turn left to go through security and it is right there after you put yourself back together. :)

• Like 2

That is a definite possibility, Hannah, particularly if nothing else seems like a good option. Can you recommend any particular airport restaurant?

Regards,

Kareni

I would check out Elephants delicatessen. I have eaten at the one outside of the airport and it's good, and they serve Stumptown coffee. I also would grab food from the Pok Pok food cart- to eat on the plane, but I would even eat it for breakfast... anytime of day. I love Pok Pok! Unfortunately they don't open until 11am. Petit Provence is also a yummy french bakery, and is in the airport! All the food is the same price as outside the airport, another bonus.

Hope he has a good time!

• Like 2

I've eaten breakfast at Caper's Cafe before inside the airport. It was pretty yummy. Once you pass the ticket counter, you turn left to go through security and it is right there after you put yourself back together. :)

Thanks, Ronette; that does sound good!

I would check out Elephants delicatessen. I have eaten at the one outside of the airport and it's good, and they serve Stumptown coffee. I also would grab food from the Pok Pok food cart- to eat on the plane, but I would even eat it for breakfast... anytime of day. I love Pok Pok! Unfortunately they don't open until 11am. Petit Provence is also a yummy french bakery, and is in the airport! All the food is the same price as outside the airport, another bonus.

Hope he has a good time!

Thank you, Hannah.  All of those sound good, and it's certainly nice to have a variety of options.

Regards,

Kareni