Menu

advice about my physical 6 year old

JustEm

My ds is very active and constantly moving. He can not sit still for long at all and generally he flails his arms or legs around all the time. I generally don't mind this and try to allow it as long as he's not being unsafe about it. The problem is lately he has been unable to safely do this. It seems like he's always hitting someone or something because he's oblivious to what it around him.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help him become more aware of his surroundings? Is this something I should see an OT for?

Before I saw OT in your second paragraph, I was thinking OT.

It sounds like your ds may have sensory issues and may not have physical awareness. It sounds like he's trying to get input from his surroundings through his flailing. In addition to OT, I'd look at full body exercise through rec gymnastics and swimming. You may have to look at a few places before you find a program that accommodates a quirky kid well.

• Like 1

My oldest is the Energizer Bunny - always moving.  That part hasn't changed, but he has learned over time to harness his energy for the Forces of Good.  Our secret to survival was lots and lots of physical activity.  Playing in the backyard before and after school (he went to public).  Climbing trees, biking, hiking, swimming.

Martial arts was great for helping him build physical awareness and for just plain working him hard.  

• Like 4

I have a couple of children who are of the constant motion type. The littlest one is still kind of a whirlwind, but the oldest has calmed down a bit. She's still very active, though. Martial arts has been fantastic for her, because it's focused activity and rewards her for concentrating on one aspect at a time.

• Like 1

I don't know how to make him more aware of his surroundings, but I wanted to share that my ds was a lot like this and I used it to my advantage. I would have him stand at one end of our very long living room and ask him a math fact or spelling word. If he gave me the right answer he could "advance" fencing style. If he had the wrong answer he would have to "retreat" fencing style. When he covered the whole living room that was enough fact or spelling practice for the day.

• Like 3

Likely not an issue because it is his whole body, but you might want to get a vision exam done just to see if he is seeing properly.  

Then TONS of outdoor and HEAVY work.  If possible, digging, moving wood piles, carrying stuff, dragging it, etc.  A trampoline or other exercise helps as well.

• Like 1

Thank you all! He does take martial arts and acrobatics but hasn't gotten to class much recently because I have an 8 week old. So I'll have to get him moving again at home and back in class. He can control himself pretty well in class just not at home. I'll look into OT when we get back from our Alabama trip.

• Like 1

Well, I don't have advice, but my 9 year old is crazy like that.  He always has been.  He has mellowed somewhat since being 6, but yes he is high energy.  That's a bit "different" for us because none of us are high energy like that. 

I always get good comments from people who deal with him so I guess he is at least not a pain.  LOL  He sings in a choir (a pretty serious choir) and he's the one always swaying to the music and looking all around, and fiddling with his music.  They still put up with him.  Probably because he is so cute (he is one of the youngest and tiniest in the group). 

When we do school work I have to let him get up and jump around several times.  We have various indoor stuff he can play on or we try to take a walk before getting started when the weather is nice. 

He also has a knack for banging into things.  No major vision issues so it's not that.  I think he just gets so excited and into stuff that he stops paying attention to anything other than what he's focused on. 

• Like 1