Menu

Singapore Editions

WahM

I just spoke with a couple workers from Rainbow Resource and they stated that they just found out today that Singapore is going to phase out thier Standards Edition for the new Common Core Edition and it may happen within the year or by next year.  I was just thinking about switching one of my kids back to Singapore, but now I don't know if I should stick with the Standards Edition or go to the US or CC Editions? Any advice of which edition I should use?

They have a comparison table of what each edition covers on their website. After looking it over I really didn't find too much difference until higher elementary levels like 4-5 or so. Most of the differences IIRC had to do with place value like one book went to millions and the other went to 100,000 or something like that. Maybe someone here can discuss. I do have the CC and there is little or no overall review in grade 1, which I think standards does have. So maybe consider doing the chapter reviews occasionally.

I think the biggest differences are really at grades 4 and 5 (mostly 5). The grade 5 Common Core version (at least on the SM scope and sequence charts) drops much of the algebraic content in the Standards edition and includes less built-in review. I already have all the Standards books since DD will start 5 in the fall anyway. I have one more behind her and have no interest in changing for DS so I'm just going to pick up extra workbooks for him. 

I think the biggest differences are really at grades 4 and 5 (mostly 5). The Grade 5 common core version (at least on the SM scope and sequence charts) drops much of the algebraic content in the Standards edition and includes less built-in review. I already have all the Standards books since DD will start 5 in the fall anyway. I have one more behind her and have no interest in changing for DS so I'm just going to pick up extra workbooks for him.

I have done the same. My oldest is finishing 5 and I have been buying workbooks for all 3 children as I buy for oldest. I didn't want to have to start over buying textbooks and HIGs.

• Like 2

I just took a look at s&s and it's very unfortunate they eliminated the algebraic concepts that are in the standards. I wonder if it's made up for in 6A/B? It would be pricey to buy all that I would need, so I'm not sure what to do.

I just took a look at s&s and it's very unfortunate they eliminated the algebraic concepts that are in the standards. I wonder if it's made up for in 6A/B? It would be pricey to buy all that I would need, so I'm not sure what to do.

There is currently no 6A/B CC. Jenny at Singapore math is currently recommending going from 5B CC to Dimensions Math 7.

No!!!!! We are about to begin 3a with my oldest. I still have the HIG and textbooks for the previous levels which I intend to use with my younger kids. I'm fairly certain it will be a good fit with my middle child, I have no idea about the 2 year old at this point. Guess I'll at least get the workbooks for 1&2 again.

I panicked a couple weeks ago when the CWP US edition was discontinued that Standards would be next.   Bought the rest of the Standards series for DS1, and all the workbooks for DS2 so I could stick with Standards and use the HIGs and texts I already own.  I love the HIG and don't want to have to change unless we hit a wall with SM.  I figure there's less money risk in having the workbooks than having to buy all new textbooks and teacher's manuals.  Plus, if it just doesn't work for DS2, I at least have the HIG, text, and workbook as a set should I need to resell it.

I feel just getting all that I would need, but it is a big investment. I don't know if another program would be just a good or one of the editions would be suitable. They put many homeschoolers in a tough spot. I sent an email expressing my disappointment in this decision. Maybe if they hear the demand for the Standards Edition they will not phase it out??

I'm in a similar position as the one who started this thread.  I only have the Standards HIG for the first level, which my kindergartener will be ready for next year.  Since I don't have a lot invested in the HIGs, I'm thinking about starting him on the U.S. edition.  Is the U.S. edition's HIG much different?  I had read here somewhere that the Standard's one was better.  I guess I'm wondering HOW MUCH better or if it really makes a difference.

Is there any other Singapore style math program that isn't CC?  In my mind, CC and math should not be put together!  Other subjects I don't care so much if they're aligned but I just don't trust the CC with math.  I believe MIF is CC.  Math Mammoth probably isn't, but I don't think I'm a fan of it.

I just emailed their customer service about this and here is the response I got back this morning:

"The Standards edition is not being discontinued for another year. There may be a Home Instructor's Guide for the Common Core edition, but the Teacher's Guide is quite adaptable for home use. There is no problem switching between any edition, except possibly from grade 5 to 6. "

• Like 1

That's really aweful they would discontinue the Standards for the CC edition. So the plan is next year, not a lot of time to stock up. Not sure if that's what I want to do or go to a different program like math mammoth or math in focus especially for one of my kids.

I'm truly not trying to cause panic buying. I hate that crap. I don't rely on them when they say a time frame that's all.

I got the Teacher's Guide for one level by mistake. It was NOT easily adaptable to home teaching I thought. Nothing like the HIG.

I've grown tired of watching people chase all over for curriculum they want but can't get (and panic because we want what's best for our kids), especially in a case like this - hey take our new and improved less strenuous less impressive math program, politically motivated change.

Why can't we get together and just share what we have with each other then. !!!!!!!!! )(*&^&%$%#!@#!

I think we should be able to. It's not our fault they chose to cancel.

No that's not what I'm saying.

I will have a copy of everything without writing in it. . .  is all I'm saying  . . .if you  . . .

I still need the tests tho  . . . . . . . .

Ok, so we just found standards is working really well for both of my oldest 2 and I expect I will continue using it for the younger 2. But now my head is spinning...I planned to go from 5 to a pre algebra program for DS (using key to ___ to work on any weak spots) and continue on for dd8. Now I think I may need to stock up on at least the textbooks and HIGs, but I really like the workbooks and their layouts..... So I guess I need to put some $$ aside to stock up on those. UGH!

So the standards editions out there are still the same, they have not released the CC editions yet, RIGHT??? Or do I need to check ISBN#s?

Ok, so we just found standards is working really well for both of my oldest 2 and I expect I will continue using it for the younger 2. But now my head is spinning...I planned to go from 5 to a pre algebra program for DS (using key to ___ to work on any weak spots) and continue on for dd8. Now I think I may need to stock up on at least the textbooks and HIGs, but I really like the workbooks and their layouts..... So I guess I need to put some $$ aside to stock up on those. UGH!

So the standards editions out there are still the same, they have not released the CC editions yet, RIGHT??? Or do I need to check ISBN#s?

CC edition has been out for at least 6 months I think. It says on the cover page common core in case you're trying to buy based on a picture of the cover.

• Like 1

This is incredibly confusing as someone posted earlier the plan was to discontinue in a year and that is what she had initially wrote on the Singapore forum reply, now that has been removed and this new reply is up. Hopefully it won't be for a few years so we all have time to get whatwe need.

• Like 1

Agreed, definitely confusing. I'm kind of over waiting on others to be straight with their intentions though. For those who aren't in a position to buy up new things right now, the MiF CC books do contain more algebraic expression work (along the lines of Standards 5). Here's a link to the scope and sequence.http://www.hmhco.com/~/media/sites/home/education/global/pdf/scope-and-sequence/mathematics/elementary/math-in-focus/mif_gradek-5_scope_and_sequence.pdf?la=en

• Like 2

This is incredibly confusing as someone posted earlier the plan was to discontinue in a year and that is what she had initially wrote on the Singapore forum reply, now that has been removed and this new reply is up. Hopefully it won't be for a few years so we all have time to get whatwe need.

That is confusing.

Am I crazy for thinking I can continue to use the standards HIG and TB, but use the CC or US workbook and just not care that they don't line up perfectly? The IP is US edition and doesn't line up with standards edition, but everyone uses it anyway. I don't line up the TB and Wb now anyway. I usually teach 1 HIG lesson per day and My son does 2 pages a day in the WB this year, but I don't wait till he finishes all the matching WB pages before teaching the next lesson. We move on with HIG/TB lessons and he might be a unit behind in his WB. Then I don't have to worry if I'm unable to teach a math lesson one day, he can still do his WB.

This. How bad could it be to use US edition workbooks with Standards HIGs and textbooks?

I just checked my email and she updated saying:

"Correction to previous email:

We no plans to discontinue any edition for the next 2-3 years. If and when we do, we will make an announcement plenty ahead of time.

There will not be an HIG for Common Core by the upcoming school year."