Menu

Question for the Sewers in our Group

Crimson Wife

We got a steal at our local Goodwill for a dress that DD hopes to wear to my brother's and new SIL's reception next year (it was brand-new with tags reading $100 more than we paid). The dress fit her well except in the bodice because she's only 12 and barely has any b00ks yet. The dress would also fit me in the unlikely event that she grew out of it between now and the reception. I was actually looking at the dress for myself but then DD begged me to get it for her instead.

She has now requested to wear the dress for an event next month. If I get it taken in at the bodice now, is there a way to do it such that the bodice can be let out again?

You can use a permanent stitch (I wouldn't recommend a basting stitch...not only do they come out easily probably just from putting the dress on but they also look funny because of the long stitch length) and just don't trim the seams.

• Like 1

I did alterations for a bridal store for several years and now out of my home for longer than I want to,think about.

I would use a stitch between your normal stitch length and a basting stitch. Normal on my machine is 2.5 , basting is a 4. I sew everything on 3 to 3.5 when I do alterations depending on the fabric. You never know if you have to tweek it a bit, and the bigger stitch is easier to take out.

Be sure to use a brand new needle and the appropriate size for the fabric to avoid snags as you sew.

I also agree with the posters that some fabrics just don't look the same if you try to let the seams out again. Try taking it in at the side seams as much as you can before altering the bust seams.

I have had a lot of success with side seams and then altering the straps to either cross in the back or to synch them down more than was originally designed. The smaller strap often hikes up the bust a bit and it allows for more coverage so my complete lack of bOOks is not as big a deal.

As long as you do not cut the straps, this is easily let out again.

• Like 1