Menu

Just a brag from someone that mostly lurks

felicity

Hi, I don't post on here enough to really be known, but I'm really excited about this. My ds14 just got back tonight from New York City. He was part of his school's delegation to the Middle School Model UN conference there, representing Senegal in the General Assembly. He had a great time there for a few days, but the highlight wasn't the sight-seeing or being in a big city, it was the Conference itself where he put in 7-hour days trying to solve the world's problems with the other students. I'm proud of him for that, but it gets better. He earned the Best Position Paper in his section, his paper against many other delegates. 

This kid is just cool. He started school this year in 8th grade after being homeschooled since kindergarten. It's been a challenge and I've questioned everything so many times. But wow, something had to have been right somewhere along the line.

Anyway, it's just a great honor for him and he worked hard to earn it. (For a while it was he "won" the award, but really he earned it.) Thanks for reading.

• Like 37

Hi, I don't post on here enough to really be known, but I'm really excited about this. My ds14 just got back tonight from New York City. He was part of his school's delegation to the Middle School Model UN conference there, representing Senegal in the General Assembly. He had a great time there for a few days, but the highlight wasn't the sight-seeing or being in a big city, it was the Conference itself where he put in 7-hour days trying to solve the world's problems with the other students. I'm proud of him for that, but it gets better. He earned the Best Position Paper in his section, his paper against many other delegates. 

This kid is just cool. He started school this year in 8th grade after being homeschooled since kindergarten. It's been a challenge and I've questioned everything so many times. But wow, something had to have been right somewhere along the line.

Anyway, it's just a great honor for him and he worked hard to earn it. (For a while it was he "won" the award, but really he earned it.) Thanks for reading.

That's great!!  Congratulations to your son.  I've had two kids do Model UN. one for Montessori school and the other in high school.  I wish my son's current school did it.  I think it would be a great experience.

I agree that it was very challenging for both but both kids are glad they did it and had the experience.  My youngest did it last year in 6th grade and then we switched from Montessori to a more traditional school and he said that writing the persuasive essays for MUN really helped him prepare for this year.

• Like 1

Very impressive!  Love the part where he was homeschooled until 8 th grade and then jumped right in winning awards.  Awesome.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the congratulations and the replies. School has been well, an interesting transition and this trip makes a lot of the struggles worth it.

MUN is a great program to get involved with. I'd highly recommend it and think it's really great that it's available to middle schoolers now.

But thank you all for letting me brag and for being proud of my son as well. I do mostly read and very occasionally post but I've learned so much from all of you over the years. Thank you.

• Like 2