Menu

Algebra like Saxon but slower paced?

I am looking for suggestions for an algebra program like saxon, but slower paced.

This is for my niece in grade 10.  I really do not know where she was in math before she came to live with us last year.  She has mostly been schooled in Germany and had been in the college track high school program but she pretty much shut down over the past two years while experiencing traumatic life events.   She says she covered the quadratic formula and yet she still struggles with dealing with positives, negatives and roots.  

We started with ALEKS, covering many pre-algebra skills where she had gaps.  Then we moved onto Saxon algebra about 4 weeks ago (but we had one week of spring break).  She prefers using a text book over the online ALEKS program.  She does not like Khan Academy, which was a great resource for my kids.  The spiral review approach in Saxon has been good for her.  Some of the first problems she struggled, but now she does much better after having the same types of problems assigned day after day.  We both like that the text book is free of side bars and various special sections.  BUT, when new concepts are introduced, she needs more practice with the basics before moving onto the kinds of problems in the book.  

The other day we covered combining like terms.  She understands the basics, but I had to write up more simplified practice problems before she could successfully work on the ones in the text book.  Today we covered exponents and sq roots and she gets mixed up easily with the practice problems in the book.  I again wrote out some easier problems for her to work through and then will have her tackle the harder problems in the book on Monday.

I am wondering though if she wouldn't be better served finding a slower paced algebra program, or even going back to a pre-algebra program.  I can get a hold of the saxon pre-alg book so I will look into that.   Any suggestions for a slower paced algebra program?  I used parts of a Lial book with my son, but the pages were visually quite cluttered and I am not sure that would be a good fit for her either.  

I am using Math U See with my dd that struggles with math. She used Saxon up to prealgebra, but then needed something simpler. Something with more focus on one concept yet continued practice on what she had already learned. She is loving MUS. But, we have never used the videos.

I would second the  suggestion to take Saxon's placement test.  Maybe backing up to 8/7 for a bit to make sure the gaps are filled might help her to move more easily through algebra.  Or, just keep moving slowly and teach/review the basics as you go, but I think that backing up a bit might give her more confidence in her math ability.

She tested into prealgebra throught ALEKS and we covered those subjects on their online program then went onto the saxon alg.  Many concepts just don't seem to stick with her for very long.  She also has pretty much given up on trying to hard and is willing to accept that she just sucks as math.  Hrmm.....

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions.