Menu

taking grades in High School

I am sure I am not alone in this practice: all through elementary and probably even through middle school, when I would grade my child's work, I would make them correct all of their mistakes until they got them all right.  

But now in HS, am I required to record the first grade they produce on their daily school work?  Or is that up to me? What is your normal practice concerning this?

thanks.

I do not give any grades for daily work. This has to be completed and corrected, but it is for learning. I see no benefit in punishing a learner for making mistakes.

I grade only exams and longer writing assignments (ETA: which has the added benefit of making record keeping and grade calculations extremely easy)

• Like 4

I have an up and coming 9th grader so i have been thinking about this too. I agree with regentrude daily work is for learning and making errors is part of learning. It seems to me that grades are better based on tests/exams/projects/longer writing assignments where you are checking to confirm mastery and long term retention. I will check daily work and give her feedback as quickly as possible but that will not be part of her grade.

I am sure I am not alone in this practice: all through elementary and probably even through middle school, when I would grade my child's work, I would make them correct all of their mistakes until they got them all right.  

But now in HS, am I required to record the first grade they produce on their daily school work?  Or is that up to me? What is your normal practice concerning this?

thanks.

You aren't "required" to do anything.

But at some point you'll want to consider making a transcript for your child, and so now you need grades.  How you determine those grades is up to you.

in our home, only final projects/tests are graded, not daily work.

do you make them redo their tests if they make mistakes?  What if they bomb a test?  Will you retest and take the new grade...or the average between the 2?  I don't want to fudge on her GPA...but I also don't want her to get low grades.  KWIM??  I want her to master the topic....just like we have always done...but will it look suspitious if her grades are "too good"?  

right, and that sort of concerns me too...our state doesn't require any sort of standardized tests...so my kids won't have that experience...unless we seek it out and spend the money to do it...which we don't have...so what happens if the kid knows the material, but freezes while taking the test?

I am starting to give my daughter tests next years to have that experience...but that pressure is not as high as taking an ACT for example.

This doesn't answer the OP, but as far as tests you could try the very basic and easy CAT test (it's $20) just for practice and to get an idea of where she is with tests. This one is online  You get the score mere seconds after finishing the test.   It's not a rigorous test, but it would give a ballpark of whether the mommy grades are valid.

http://www.shopchristianliberty.com/california-achievement-test-online-version/

ETA:  I only brought it up because at $20 is affordable for most people while other testing can be too expensive, especially if it's just for an FYI or practice taking tests.

where can I find these free tests?

She doesn't struggle at all with reading...but somewhat with Math.  We just started pre-algebra this spring,  (she will be a 9th grader in the fall),  but she is doing well with it...but we haven't tested yet, because there are no math tests included in the program.  So I am not sure how to handle that, other than at the end of each chapter, give her a bunch of problems to work...and see how she does. Does that qualify...or do I need official tests?

We just started pre-algebra this spring,  (she will be a 9th grader in the fall),  but she is doing well with it...but we haven't tested yet, because there are no math tests included in the program.  So I am not sure how to handle that, other than at the end of each chapter, give her a bunch of problems to work...and see how she does. Does that qualify...or do I need official tests?

You can write your own tests.

I design my own exams in all subjects since we do not use a packaged curriculum.

do you make them redo their tests if they make mistakes?  What if they bomb a test?  Will you retest and take the new grade...or the average between the 2?  I don't want to fudge on her GPA...but I also don't want her to get low grades.  KWIM??  I want her to master the topic....just like we have always done...but will it look suspitious if her grades are "too good"?  

The test is the test. The grade they get is the grade they earn.

If I decide to give a second test, I keep the grade for whichever one is higher.

where can I find these free tests?

She doesn't struggle at all with reading...but somewhat with Math.  We just started pre-algebra this spring,  (she will be a 9th grader in the fall),  but she is doing well with it...but we haven't tested yet, because there are no math tests included in the program.  So I am not sure how to handle that, other than at the end of each chapter, give her a bunch of problems to work...and see how she does. Does that qualify...or do I need official tests?

The library should have practice books for the SAT and ACT with practice tests inside.

On daily work (especially math) I correct the work & return to the student.  They can get 1/2 credit for mistakes that are corrected the second time.  

On quizzes/tests corrections cannot be made.  

On writing assignments, one revision can be made to increase the grade.  

I make them redo all mistakes, test or not.

I keep track of original test scores as well as revised test scores, mostly for my own information. Interestingly, I've found that most of the time, there really isn't much difference in the final grade even when my kids bombed a couple of tests. With math, there were so many tests that a few low scores didn't change an overall A or B average.

When I look at science or history, which tend to have fewer tests, I also take into account things like discussion (ie, class participation--did the student actively participate and discuss etc...), papers and projects, map work, labs etc... If test scores did happen to put them close to a borderline grade, usually their work in other areas bumped it up. Other times I found their grade would be right in the middle of the percentages, and even with revised test scores and other work, it didn't make a difference.

So all that to say...keep the info and figure it both ways, then think honestly about the work they did over the semester. Unless you are a perfectionist (nothing is ever good enough) or overly easy on your kids (my child can do no wrong!), you'll likely be giving them an honest grade. There is a subjective nature to grading papers, projects, and discussions, and classroom teachers are also subjective. When I thought about my kids' work, I usually had a fairly strong inclination as to what grade it was worth. 

As far as the ACT goes--do lots of practice tests ahead of time, go over test-taking strategies etc... with one of the ACT books. It really does make a difference.