Menu

Has anyone ever had an epi/spinal headache?

How did it get resolved? How long did you have it? Other details?

The doctors think I have one, and may have to do a procedure where they put my own blood into the spinal tap site. Has anyone ever had this done?

I'm so upset and nervous over it. I am frightened of my own blood, needles and anestheisiologists, due to past experiences.

Thanks so much, you all don't know how much I appreciate your thoughtful answers (and hugs). :)

The doctors think I have one, and may have to do a procedure where they put my own blood into the spinal tap site. Has anyone ever had this done?

I'm so upset and nervous over it. I am frightened of my own blood, needles and anestheisiologists, due to past experiences.

Thanks so much, you all don't know how much I appreciate your thoughtful answers (and hugs). :)

:grouphug::grouphug:Philothea! I'm sorry to hear you are going through this and that it upsets you so much. I don't have first-hand experience with this but I wanted to offer you some support and hugs. (((Philothea))) Enjoy your sweet baby and trust that God will help you get through this. :grouphug:

I had one with my last baby. It took 3 patches to seal it because they kept coming loose, but I tend to be a bit of a bleeder, so I'm thinking it had something to do with that.

I would recommend getting the patch, and then staying in bed for a day or 2 while the patch takes, just to make sure it doesn't come loose.

I'm sorry, it is miserable and scary. The good news is that the patch is an instant cure. :grouphug:

My best friend had this with her last two deliveries. The first time it happened, she suffered for a couple of weeks before she had the blood patch done. She was better immediately. So, the 2nd time when it happened, she wasted no time going back to the hospital. It was worth the few minutes of discomfort to be able to get back on her feet and be able to take care of herself and her new baby.

Best of luck to you!:grouphug:

I'm sorry you are going throught all of this. :grouphug: to you!

My dh had a spinal tap several years ago and had dizziness and a headache afterwards. He said that it was suprisingly simple to repair with the blood being injected into his spine. It just clots and makes a little blood banage at the site where it is leaking spinal fluid. He felt much better right away. He was a little nervous too but it worked wonders and he has not had any side effects short term or long term.

I hope this makes you feels a little better. And I hope you can get some rest to recover.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Not a clue, sweetie, but praying that it resolves soon!

And, I missed seeing that your ds had been born! CONGRATULATIONS! I hope you're all doing well!

ETA: I was wrong - I have looked at pictures of that handsome Ham. I must get more sleep - the brain is starting to go. Congratulations still - I know you're enjoying him.:)

A few years ago, I had a spinal tap to be sure I didn't have meningitis. I'd gone to the ER with an extremely bad headache.

Didn't have meningitis, apparently it was just a bad migraine. Anyway, I developed an INCREDIBLY severe pain in my neck and back of my head from the spinal tap. I could not turn my head or move my neck at all without awful pain. After a week or so of this, I went back to the ER. They did the blood patch, where they took some of my blood and injected it into my spine.

VERY IMPORTANT - I later found out that it is crucial that they keep you lying down flat for at least a couple hours after the blood patch. They should do this after any sort of spinal tap, actually. The stupid ER doctors did my blood patch and then just told me to get up and go, I was done. Well, because of this, the blood patch was totally ineffective, and I spent two more weeks in horrible pain. Plus now having TWO ER visits to pay for!

The pain eventually did go away, but it was an absolutely horrible few weeks for me.

If you get a blood patch, BE SURE they know to keep you lying down perfectly flat afterwards.

Michelle T

BTDT. The blood patch I think they called it was just an annoyance, having to give blood then another epi. Laying flat on my back and drinking caffiene helped. DH and fil got me mtn dew and iced tea. My ears were rining from all the caffiene but it worked. I think because it helped build up the blood pressure. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

However, are you still in the hospital? or did you go home and discover this. They know immediately if they messed up and they should have done the blood patch thing already. If the headaches just started and it's been a few days it could be something else.

I had 2 blood patches after #5 was born by c-section. I had a spinal for c-section and dev. a headache that was worse than any migraine I've ever had. I had the patch done and the next day my headache was back. So, I got another. I was so emotional at this point, dh was not there and I had to put baby in the nursery (not what I wanted). I cried through the whole thing. BUT, it wasn't that painful or anything...not worse than an epi or spinal to begin with. I was just very emotional and post-partum. Hoping you get through this quickly so you can enjoy that newborn!

after she gave birth to her first dc. It was caused by an epidural and they did the same procedure you described to get rid of the headache. She said the headache was absolutely horrible, but she got relief after the procedure. This is the reason I opted out of an epidural when I gave birth. I'm already very prone to headaches as it is and I really feared the chance of a spinal headache after an epidural. Prayers!