Menu

First time at Trader Joes - I'm impressed

clementine

So, we recently got a Trader Joes within an hour drive of us.  Since we were going to be nearby, we decided to stop in.  

My oldest will be going to college in the fall & one of her favorite foods is oatmeal loaded with fresh fruit.  I know that since she won't have a vehicle, grocery shopping (and fresh fruit) will be a luxury.  I had heard about freeze-dried fruit, but was nervous about buying before trying.  I had 3 bags in my hands - raspberries, bananas and blueberries.  An employee must have seen me mentally debating whether or not to buy them.  She approached me & asked me if I'd like her to open a bag so we could try it.  Wow - yes, please!!!  We bought 4 bags.  :)   Talk about customer service.  

• Like 8

Yum, yum, glad you had so much fun!!  Their hams (coming in for Easter!) are good.  Salsa is good.  We get wild rice there and fish.  Mercy, we've almost never had anything bad from there.  Yummy spanikopita, and oh the peppermint jo joes at Christmas...  We buy frozen fruit there including a really good smoothie blend.  Their green beans are very nice and I like their wild blueberries.  The turkey bacon is the best price in town for that variety.  I like their feta dressing.  

Definitely a fun place!  

• Like 1

Yum, yum, glad you had so much fun!!  Their hams (coming in for Easter!) are good.  Salsa is good.  We get wild rice there and fish.  Mercy, we've almost never had anything bad from there.  Yummy spanikopita, and oh the peppermint jo joes at Christmas...  We buy frozen fruit there including a really good smoothie blend.  Their green beans are very nice and I like their wild blueberries.  The turkey bacon is the best price in town for that variety.  I like their feta dressing.  

Definitely a fun place!  

Thank you for the recommendations!!

Don't hate me, I work in the same building as one.  Sometimes when my computer is downloading a bunch of Microsoft updates at once, I'll wander down to Trader Joe's just so that I don't disturb my neighbor's with my swearing.  Only thing to stay away from is the Sushi  (that I've found)   I've heard their veggie big burrito makes even carnivores happy.  

• Like 1

There are so many great items.  I have found myself, over the last 5 years, slowly buying less at the other grocery store and replace with buying at TJ.

As a pp said, they have an outstanding return policy - no questions asked.  You buy it, eat and don't like it, I believe they'll also give you a credit.  I've only done that 1-2 times.

Try their sampling station.   It's a good way to sample the food and decide if you like it or not. 

How does half-popped popcorn work? I am guessing it isn't popcorn with lots of kernels left.

It's a bag full of kernels that have partially-popped, no fully-popped popcorn at all. It's nice and crunchy (but not break-your-tooth hard). Tastes a bit like corn nuts, when I think about it.

Now, I must make a(n embarrassing) disclaimer here:

After snacking -- almost nonstop-- on this stuff for a week...I did break a tooth. Seriously. BUT the dentist said the tooth was pretty far gone (I'm scheduled for a root canal on Wednesday).

But yeah...proceed at your own risk (and not if you have questionable dental health)!

• Like 1

This is so yummy and versatile: http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/1723

Their smoked paprika is good, as well.

I buy their cocoa powder because it's cheap, but it's not as flavorful as the Hersey's brand.

Their wine is so inexpensive and not  bad.

Chocolate bars  are so cheap and yummy.

I love the price of their cut flowers and potted herbs. I usually have a basil plant in my kitchen window to snip from as I cook.

I could go on. :)

• Like 1

This is so yummy and versatile: http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/1723

Their smoked paprika is good, as well.

I buy their cocoa powder because it's cheap, but it's not as flavorful as the Hersey's brand.

Their wine is so inexpensive and not  bad.

Chocolate bars  are so cheap and yummy.

I love the price of their cut flowers and potted herbs. I usually have a basil plant in my kitchen window to snip from as I cook.

I could go on. :)

The flowers were beautiful!  But then there is still snow on the ground here, so any sign of green is welcome!

• Like 1

The Cookie Butter, swirled with chocolate or not, is amazing.

I am not going to try cookie butter.  Once upon a time I didn't like sour cream.  Holdover from childhood likely.  Then I tried it.  And I liked.  Really really liked it.  Same with Alfredo sauce.  And, really, I think I'd be better off if I thought I still didn't like them.  So, I'm getting smarter this time.  

• Like 1