Menu

Alternatives to Saxon Math

RkyMtnMom

I desperately need to look for something that fits my son better than Saxon math. He has done Saxon since Kindergarten.

He is 9 almost 10 and in 4th grade. He is currently doing 5/4, when he will actually do it. We have fights, fits, crying (from both of us) almost every day, to the point that I question whether I can handle homeschooling him anymore. I'm extremely burnt out as well, so it's not helping.

So, I know there has got to be a better option out there for him. He is great at math, but hates it. He had no problem, usually, when doing the lower grade Saxon with the workbook, but once he had to read on his own and write out his problems, that's where I lost him. He really struggles with reading and writing. He is a math whiz, he will work out answers in his head to all the problems and just write down the answer. But if i ask him to show his work and tell me how he got there......he just can't/won't without a fight. He doesn't understand why it's necessary if the answer he already gave it correct. But, when he actually does the work, he is done with it and moving on to the next thing in 20 minutes. So it's not too hard for him, it's just not made for the way he learns and thinks.

My kids have used nothing but Saxon for all the years they have been in school, so i honestly dont know what else it out there, especially made for a kid like him.

Thanks!

If reading and writing are struggles for him, but Saxon works fine then I would think about ways to change the way we use Saxon, not change from Saxon itself provided that it is still working well for him.

could you read the lesson and present the material to him, then give him the lesson problems/review problems to be done on a Word template?

There is no law that says a student MUST read the lesson by himself, to himself. Or that he must copy and complete all the problems on a loose leaf sheet of paper. My understanding is that Saxon Math (54-Calculus) was written for classroom use so its more than a little possible that its expected to be taught.

If Saxon is the problem and you need to switch then switch, but know this--Most math at the 4th grade level will be written to the student because its assumed that kids are now able to "read to learn" so you will have to adapt that part no matter what you use.

• Like 1

I have the exact same problem with my ds 10 using math 6/5.  I have allowed him to just write down answers unless it is wrong and then he has to go back and show his work.  I have him do odds or evens on mixed practice.  Other times I have allowed him to not do the mixed practice at all.  I try to mix it up so he isn't so bored.  Sounds like your son is bored as well.  I have thought about switching but the cost and time to research doesn't seem worth it at times.  I'm interested to see what you decide!

Scribing your son's answers and allowing him to answer orally would probably make Saxon work much better for you, but it can be very time-consuming. I agree with Kiana that a worktext format might be a really good fit for your son. I've written a full review of Math Mammoth here, if you'd like more information about it. You might also want to consider CLE Math. It follows an incremental, spiral format similar to Saxon, but all the teaching and work is in a workbook, so there's a lot less to write. 

CLE might work really well but give him the placement tests.  You could give him the placement test (free, just download it to your computer and print out), then buy just the first couple of Light Units for the level he places in to.  Cheap and easy to check out.  If it isn't a good fit, then you haven't invested a ton of time or money.

https://www.clp.org/store/by_subject/4

Maybe giving him (and you) a change of pace could help turn this around.  Do you know why he struggles with reading and writing?  Have you had any evaluations to determine if there might be underlying learning challenges?  If reading and writing are a struggle, I would definitely separate out the math from working on the other skills.  Scribe for him, do work orally or on a dry erase board, irregardless of what program you use, at least for the time being.

ETA: If you switched to CLE, the writing and reading issue might not be as big of a problem.  DD and DS are dyslexic and DS is dysgraphic but they have both been able to use CLE well.

• Like 1

There is no way my nine year old math loving dd could do Saxon without my continued help. For me the math concepts and the math enjoyment are priority. I am happy to scribe for her and let her answer orally until she matures enough to do it on her own. Maybe try revamping your teaching system with him before dumping it, or if you think the sight of one more day of Saxon will insight riot, check out some of the other fantastic programs out there (Singapore, CLE, Mammoth Math, Math in Focus...). Good luck! 

• Like 1

I'd look in the direction of Singapore or Math Mammoth.  I too agree with the thought of using a worktext.  Also, white boards can have magical powers.  (My dd switched from briefly using Saxon at school to homeschooling with Math Mammoth in 4th.)

For a completely different, opposite-of-Saxon approach, you might look at Beast Academy and, down the road, AoPS.

We used Saxon 54 and are using 65 but I pre-read and teach the material. I do not give the book to my son. We use the PDF from the website, so we don't have a physical book anyway but it works better this way because my ESOL son can not read well enough/long enough to learn from the Saxon text, but the Saxon method works spectacularly for him. The daily drill, incremental lessons, the variety of problems and the constant review. I teach Saxon using their examples and their lessons but my words if my way of explaining is "cleaner" than Saxons.

Because we have the PDF we print the mixed practices out larger than usual and my son writes on the pages themselves--no copying needed. He does the Lesson Practices with me near by but he has a simple Copy Sheet that we use for the lesson practice (hint: if my son does not have enough lesson practice problems, I just give him some more mom-made practice on the lesson topic.)

We split math into 2 sessions, in the morning I teach Saxon lessons to my son using a white board  and he does the lesson practice for each lesson and maybe the first mixed practice if there is time. I don't know what would happen if we skipped, but for no special reason we do every problem, every time simply because that is as the book was intended.

Later in the day my son does the practice sets to a timer. He works for one hour but usually less to do the mixed practice sets for the lessons needed that day.

• Like 1

I agree with the others, and would seriously consider using a workbook/worktext. 

CLE

Study Time (this one changes to a textbook in the 6th grade though)

ABeka 

I really like Rod and Staff, but left it mainly due to it being a textbook in 4th. I can see taking a week to do one math lesson with my dd writing out the problems. I have heard of others folding a sheet of paper and placing it under the problems in the text in order to have the answers right under the problem. But I am really weird and cringe at the thought of a paper having all of those creases in it. 

One of my adult kids did great with Saxon all the way through, but my other hit the same wall you describe.

We switched to Jacobs:

http://www.amazon.com/Mathematics-Human-Endeavor-Textbook-Subject/dp/0716713268

It worked great. He's a big picture dude who would have made a great theoretical physicist and she's detail oriented and got hired to do some accounting without even having an accounting degree.

thanks for all your advice ladies! It is all really helpful and gives me a lot to think about and research.

Just to clear it up:

I read through the lesson with him and then sit by him and "hold his hand" and keep him on task throughout the whole lesson. I definitely do not just hand him the book! It would never get done then. ;) Just the mere mention of doing math starts the attitude and tears. 

So, I will look at all my options. Thanks!

Even if he understands the concept, the tears and frustration aren't worth it. I'm in Saxon 3 right now, and my son doesn't love it, and I am approaching 5/4 next year with some nervousness.

Would a workbook help? The intermediate Saxon books have more of a workbook for those who aren't ready for a textbook. They have them for grades 3,4 and 5. If the way Saxon is taught works well for him, that might be a good compromise.

I use A Beka with my kindergartener, but I don't know if I would suggest switching to it at this point because they do not have the critical thinking in the upper grades. They do have a solid foundation in memorizing math facts, which my oldest struggled with, but I am planning to switch over to Saxon around 4th grade.

My oldest loves LOF as a supplement, but I go back and forth on whether it is a standalone. I don't think it is until he's ready for the decimals and percents book, but it might be a fun "break" for your son while you determine what program you want to utilize, and he really will learn a lot of math in it too. It would definitely be a break from the writing.

The other programs I hear the most about that go up into upper levels (but have no personal experience with) are Horizons, Math U See, Teaching Textbooks (all on the computer.)

Singapore is also popular, but it is completely different from Saxon and the way he has been learning, and I believe they are discontinuing the upper grades, but I could be wrong.