• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Do you really think I am? I don't think so, but I admit the possibility.

I don't know.  That's hard to diagnose over the internet.  However, SPD has a strong connection to ASD.

Females with ASD present differently than males.  You have a complicated history which makes it really hard to tease it all out.  If someone asks you, you can say you are a "complicated order", ala Bon Qui Qui.   Cuz that sounds really cool and mysterious.   :coolgleamA:  

• Like 2

I don't know.  That's hard to diagnose over the internet.  However, SPD has a strong connection to ASD.

Females with ASD present differently than males. I did not know this. All of my autistic friends have been males. You have a complicated history which makes it really hard to tease it all out.  If someone asks you, you can say you are a "complicated order", ala Bon Qui Qui.   Cuz that sounds really cool and mysterious.   :coolgleamA:  

I just googled that and I think I'll wait until nap time to watch it.

I still haven't hosed the kids down so I'm out. See you guys at nap time ot tonight.

I just googled that and I think I'll wait until nap time to watch it.

I still haven't hosed the kids down so I'm out. See you guys at nap time ot tonight.

No profanity, but it is not the best kid role model video so nap time sounds good.  

Hose the kids down, Slache!  Some of mine need hosed down.

Someday, if you are really, really bored and have thousands of dollars to spend, you could see a neuropsychologist for a thorough work-up, and that would likely give you some concrete answers.  The schools are broad-brush at evals, and they are looking only through the lens of educational issues.  A neuropsych would give the information you are looking for.  The schools missed my son's major LD because they didn't need to look for it.  There are  many, many people walking around undiagnosed with all sorts of things, and they have learned to function just fine.

BTW, I would want to know, too. 

ACK.  Part of this is because it used to be okay to "quirky;" i.e. normal variation among humans was normal and didn't require a diagnosis.

ACK.  Part of this is because it used to be okay to "quirky;" i.e. normal variation among humans was normal and didn't require a diagnosis.

That is part of it, but the good ole days weren't good in terms of mental health care, you know?  Overall, I think the benefits of information/diagnoses outweigh the risks.  Some interventions are really helpful in terms of improving quality of life and functioning.  Without the diagnosis, no interventions are given.

• Like 3

I don't drive because cars are not organized on the road so I can't comprehend where they are.

I don't know why I use the wrong word and I don't catch myself doing it. My husband tells me when I do. It's worse when I'm tired.

I'm not anxious. If I don't keep my routine I can't keep track of time and get very little done. I don't know why.

Visual-yes. My doctors says my eyes are fine. It's totally mental.

Dyslexic-that's what I think, but those who know dyslexia say no.

Examples-I'm so hungry I'm lactating (instead of salivating). Texas is articulate (instead of awesome). He's a cannibal (instead of a Canadian). All things I've said. Go me.

Who diagnosed your dyslexia?  Have you ever seen a neurologist?

You seem to function fine in spite of these idiosyncrasies, but my gut (and I'm out of the mental health realm so take it all as free advice overheard in the line for dry cleaning :D ) is that these things are related somehow.  They all seem to be in the neurological/learning disability realm and not the mental health realm.  

So maybe that part of your brain is wired in a uniquely Slash-ly way.  All in all, it appears to contribute to an fantastically awesome person.  Yay, you, indeed!

• Like 5

No profanity, but it is not the best kid role model video so nap time sounds good.  

Hose the kids down, Slache!  Some of mine need hosed down.

I can't tell if I'm being corrected or cheered on.  :leaving:

That is part of it, but the good ole days weren't good in terms of mental health care, you know?  Overall, I think the benefits of information/diagnoses outweigh the risks.  Some interventions are really helpful in terms of improving quality of life and functioning.  Without the diagnosis, no interventions are given.

I think it depends on the severity. A diagnoses can seriously hinder the wrong kid, but proper treatment can change the right child's life.

• Like 2

I can't tell if I'm being corrected or cheered on.  :leaving:

I think it depends on the severity. A diagnoses can seriously hinder the wrong kid, but proper treatment can change the right child's life.

I really like Bon Qui Qui.  She's funny.  :)  That is where I pulled the "complicated order".

I'm all about information because I think it is empowering.

• Like 2

Thanks! I have the noise thing too. I have a long list of inconveniences, but my life has never been hindered except for my inability to find something when it's out of place and my lack of ability to drive. My lack of ability to drive has also been quite the blessing though. I'm a stay at home which means I have nothing to do all day so everyone wants me to _____________ . Sorry. I can't. I can't drive.

• Like 4

I LOVE LOVE LOVE teaching math, but I do forsee a time when I will need my husband's help. He's the chemical engineer at our house and the king of all things mathy.

Cool.  Head on over to my house-we have an open position for math guru. :glare:

• Like 4

which is what I am wondering about with S.

So I'm just S now?

I'm all about information because I think it is empowering.

I totally agree, but I've seen too many cases where the parents or schools use the diagnoses to limit the child. I would not seek out a diagnoses for my kid unless I believed that their life would improve with help.

Such a fascinating conversation i missed!  What's really wild is that my IRL friends and I sat around Starbucks tonight diagnosing each other and our children too.  :-)

Slache! The word thing intrigues me. My dh is NOT diagnosed with dyslexia but most likely would be if he were ever tested, and he does that too.  (His dad and brother both are diagnosed, but their cases were so much worse that dh fell through the cracks while his mom handled the other two.)   The visual-sensory thing with driving is interesting.  SPD ever come up as a possibility?  Ds7 has that, and certain environments just overwhelm him completely and he freezes (a full classroom, a soccer field, too many children on the playground, those indoor climbing areas at McD's…)  I had similar problems as a child too, but back in those days there was little testing.  My Kindergarten teacher just told my mom I'd never amount to much. :ohmy:  I'm not convinced that SPD is a the only thing dh struggles with though.  Language challenges do exist, too; but not dyslexia.  

Slash:  This just reminded me.  Driving home from the hospital was a misery, because things were moving by so quickly and I couldn't place or track them.  It was like my brain was not able to calculate my place on the planet. Do you experience something similar?

WHAT'S SPD? He sounds *just* like me.

Sensory processing disorder.

I have a child with it, but he is on the spectrum.

I googled it. That's me to a T.

I'm colorblind.

I feel pain a half second too late.

I'm clumsy extremely. HA! Oops.

I'm overly sensitive to loud noises and bright lights.

I can't see things that aren't organized.

None of this has been a huge deal. I never thought it could be related. This is awesome. I'm so happy. Thank you Quackers! Tex, you failed me.

Okay. Never reply to the thread without reading the whole thing.  Ignore the above.  You all totally got there without my angst.

• Like 1

Tuna salad with colby jack cheese in a Trader Joe's Habanero Lime wrap.  And blue corn chips.  And an Oreo cookie.  (Okay okay. Four oreo cookies for me.  It was a long morning.)

Mommies get at least one cookie per child. So you get 5, Quackers. Since I only have two kids, I double the amount. :D

• Like 6

Yes.  Unless they are online at a boring meeting.  Then they get unlimited access to all things chocolate.

You are absolutely the BESTEST, MOST BRILLIANTEST duck I have ever met in my whole, entire (really long) life.

(And DD gave me a bag of Ghirardelli Dark & Sea Salt Caramel chocolates for by birthday this morning, so I am set.  At least for the next ten minutes, or so. :drool5: )

• Like 5

EXACTLY.  

Except he never eats sugar or chocolate.

But since the only other option is that I ate them while sleepwalking, I believe HE is to be blamed.  

Oh, that evil, diabolical, Y-chromosome-debilitated demon.  He set you up.

Definitely his fault.

You get a whole batch of brownies to help ease the pain of his shocking betrayal.

• Like 2

You are absolutely the BESTEST, MOST BRILLIANTEST duck I have ever met in my whole, entire (really long) life.

I get that a lot.  

(And DD gave me a bag of Ghirardelli Dark & Sea Salt Caramel chocolates for by birthday this morning, so I am set.  At least for the next ten minutes, or so. :drool5: )

Do not speak about such things unless you bring enough for the entire thread to share.  

• Like 6

I get that a lot.  

Do not speak about such things unless you bring enough for the entire thread to share.  

Unfortunately, the mechanics of the forum are interfering with my sincere (cough, cough) desire to share my chocolates.  So I will simply force myself to enjoy them sufficiently for EVERYONE.

I'm generous that way.

You're welcome.

• Like 4

Oh, that evil, diabolical, Y-chromosome-debilitated demon.  He set you up.

Definitely his fault.

You get a whole batch of brownies to help ease the pain of his shocking betrayal.

BINGO!  You, likewise, are brilliant.

The real kicker is that I baked the brownies and never even got one!  So bake more??  I don't think so.  This calls for a starbucks intervention, in my book.  Even though I was just there last night and my addiction is getting rather embarrassing.  I know they have brownies.  Good ones.  

• Like 3

So I'm just S now?

I totally agree, but I've seen too many cases where the parents or schools use the diagnoses to limit the child. I would not seek out a diagnoses for my kid unless I believed that their life would improve with help.

Just S to protect your privacy since I was talking about your childhood traumas.  I know, kinda funny since you already have a fake name.  

True story:  I avoided the ASD label from the school system successfully for ten years while my kid got services under another label.  When he needed the label and I actually decided he met the criteria, I had him evaluated and got the label.  Now we have documentation for accommodations for college.

• Like 4

I have 3 words for you: O.M.G.

She finally stopped.

But, God bless her, she's the reason why have the editing component of my job.  (I.e., I "stealth" edit our product after the product has gone through "Quality Assurance," the editors.)

Oy vey.

• Like 3

Holy.Guac.A.Mole.

Our "editor," who has only a passing familiarity with the rules of grammar, is droning on and on about capitalization. Seriously.

Shoot.me.now.

bang!

(and no, I'm not going to use a capital.  because she's not MY boss)

ETA: oops.  someone beat me to it.  see what happens when I try to pay attention to my job?

• Like 3

Tuna salad with colby jack cheese in a Trader Joe's Habanero Lime wrap.  And blue corn chips.  And an Oreo cookie.  (Okay okay. Four oreo cookies for me.  It was a long morning.)

I would eat this, and I don't even love tuna.

Oh, and in the "Earth Shattering News" department:

It is my birthday.  I am old.

Happy birthday!  I'll bet I am older!  :D

It is irresistible.

Or as the Hive used to say: 

SmileyBorg-1.jpg

I love this.  Best.borg-like.thing.ever.

Want.

• Like 5

Just S to protect your privacy since I was talking about your childhood traumas.  I know, kinda funny since you already have a fake name.  

True story:  I avoided the ASD label from the school system successfully for ten years while my kid got services under another label.  When he needed the label and I actually decided he met the criteria, I had him evaluated and got the label.  Now we have documentation for accommodations for college.

Yup. Ds is not on the spectrum, so his SPD doesn't qualify him for anything at the moment (SPD isn't a stand-alone condition in the DSM right now).  The team that diagnosed him was actually happy I was planning on homeschooling him, since I can provide for him.  Thankfully it's a mild case.  Acquaintances of mine had a severe case, minus ASD, and ended up taking out a second mortgage on their home just to get OT for their child.  

She finally stopped.

But, God bless her, she's the reason why have the editing component of my job.  (I.e., I "stealth" edit our product after the product has gone through "Quality Assurance," the editors.)

Oy vey.

So I guess now is not the time to mention I'm in the QA department.  Maybe your QA team is actually reading Hive posts instead of editing.  LOL

• Like 5