Menu

Ignore this thread!

We're drowning.  And taking Libby to the emergency vet last night didn't help.  And I was grooming her myself because I can't afford to take her to a groomer.  Sigh. 

(But I'm also kicking myself for hurting her and making it so that we had to go to the emergency vet last night.)

I'm sorry. We're about 4 months from not drowning. Then we're moving across country and who knows.

Here, I'll share my swedish fish with you!   :001_wub:

They're vegan.

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

We're drowning.  And taking Libby to the emergency vet last night didn't help.  And I was grooming her myself because I can't afford to take her to a groomer.  Sigh. 

(But I'm also kicking myself for hurting her and making it so that we had to go to the emergency vet last night.) 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

We got a notice on our door from the gas company the other day saying we needed to pay within 72 hours or they'd shut us off. I have no clue why they didn't write "warning" or something on the envelope for our most recent bill (other companies do that... plenty of experience with that back in Texas, when we were wealthy). It's on autopay, so we tend to not even open those envelopes... I think what happened is that DW got a new debit card so the expiration date changed, and she forgot to tell the gas company. Still not amused. 

:grouphug:

I was also not amused, after our last bout with the hospital (a few years ago), to get notices from a collection agency before we ever saw any itemized bill from the hospital.  It turns out the hospital uses the collection agency for their routine billing.  I gave the hospital gal in "billing" what-for over that, informing them that if such is the case then the collection agency should use a different form for the routine bills AND they should be including the itemizations.  

• Like 1

I'm sorry. We're about 4 months from not drowning. Then we're moving across country and who knows.

They're vegan.

Drowning is relative though.  We have a house in a niceish neighborhood (not the best around here but not the worst either).  (Ok - technically the bank has the house and we're paying it off.)  And we have savings.  And retirement.  And a couple of cars.  But we also have medical debt.  I'm going to see if I can get the medical debt transferred to Carecredit.  Then I can pay on it with no interest (as long as i get it paid before the deadline).  We live frugally on many things but also buy all gluten free due to celiac (though obviously some things are just naturally gluten free).  But money is a constant stressor for me - even more than for dh because I pay all the bills and we are paycheck to paycheck. 

But I recognize that we've made choices - we chose to move to this neighborhood which is a bit nicer than we can comfortably afford because the drive-by shootings where we used to live got really scary.  And we choose to have pets.  And we choose (now) to have two cars though for over ten years I had no car even with the two kids.  I recognize that many people don't have these choices. 

• Like 3

Drowning is relative though. We have a house in a niceish neighborhood (not the best around here but not the worst either). (Ok - technically the bank has the house and we're paying it off.) And we have savings. And retirement. And a couple of cars. But we also have medical debt. I'm going to see if I can get the medical debt transferred to Carecredit. Then I can pay on it with no interest (as long as i get it paid before the deadline). We live frugally on many things but also buy all gluten free due to celiac (though obviously some things are just naturally gluten free). But money is a constant stressor for me - even more than for dh because I pay all the bills and we are paycheck to paycheck.

But I recognize that we've made choices - we chose to move to this neighborhood which is a bit nicer than we can comfortably afford because the drive-by shootings where we used to live got really scary. And we choose to have pets. And we choose (now) to have two cars though for over ten years I had no car even with the two kids. I recognize that many people don't have these choices.

I would have made the same choices.

• Like 4

Yes, true. Buying a home is a really stupid idea on paper.

Not necessarily. Yes, if you get a mortgage, you've got that debt in one column, but it should be balanced by the home value in the asset column. So, as long as the house price doesn't drop for w/e reason, it shouldn't have a negative impact on your net worth (houses don't really depreciate, normally speaking, unlike, say, cars, though houses do require some amount of maintenance). 

• Like 1

Not necessarily. Yes, if you get a mortgage, you've got that debt in one column, but it should be balanced by the home value in the asset column. So, as long as the house price doesn't drop for w/e reason, it shouldn't have a negative impact on your net worth (houses don't really depreciate, normally speaking, unlike, say, cars, though houses do require some amount of maintenance). 

I hadn't thought of it that way.

I did say "on paper" because I think it's one of the wisest decisions anyone can in most cases.

Not necessarily. Yes, if you get a mortgage, you've got that debt in one column,

The liabilities column (I had trouble thinking of that word earlier).

I hadn't thought of it that way.

I did say "on paper" because I think it's one of the wisest decisions anyone can in most cases.

Right... so long as you're not buying in a bubble, or in a neighborhood that you think will go down the drain, it's probably a good idea. Just make sure you don't get foreclosed on - selling at a loss is almost always better than getting foreclosed on (of course, the goal is to do neither).

I'm going to recommend learning a basic bit of accounting, and teaching your kids a basic bit of accounting too (when they're older - this can wait until they're teens). Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Accounting-Game-Basic-Fresh-Lemonade/dp/1402211864/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1292733735&sr=1-1

• Like 1

We know which cashiers are better. Just don’t go in Becky’s line -she’s sweet but slow as molasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, there’s one like that at Walmart. And she just talks your ear off. Drives me insane. I avoid her like the plague.
  • Like 1

Right... so long as you're not buying in a bubble, or in a neighborhood that you think will go down the drain, it's probably a good idea. 

Also, your goal would have to be to keep the property for at least 5 years or so, otherwise closing costs etc are going to make it probably not worth it. 

• Like 3

Speaking of finances, DH and I got married past age 30. We both had good jobs (not exactly high paying, but stable) no debt, and when we got married, we decided right away to live only on his salary and bank mine so a) we were used to that income and b) we could bolster our savings for when I quit working. We also got lucky in the real estate bubble. He owned a home when we got married and we sold at the top of the market and we’re able to put quite a bit down on this house, so our mortgage was low. We paid it off several years ago. I think finances are a combination of good planning, frugal living and just plain luck.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 8

:grouphug:

It's not a big deal, but DW needs to go yell at them to try to make it not hurt her credit score. 

It's a vast improvement over when we were in college and they actually shut our power off and we were in the dark because DW forgot to pay it in her manic state even though we had like $5k in the bank (because of the GI Bill and I don't know what). 

Speaking of finances, DH and I got married past age 30. We both had good jobs (not exactly high paying, but stable) no debt, and when we got married, we decided right away to live only on his salary and bank mine so a) we were used to that income and b) we could bolster our savings for when I quit working. We also got lucky in the real estate bubble. He owned a home when we got married and we sold at the top of the market and we’re able to put quite a bit down on this house, so our mortgage was low. We paid it off several years ago. I think finances are a combination of good planning, frugal living and just plain luck.

Well, we planned poorly and lived lavishly. Where do we get the luck stuff?

• Like 5

We bought our house in the Big Slump of 2009 and the value has gone up about 70% in the last 8 years. We could probably sell it and pay cash for a smaller house, but we like it here. :)

• Like 4

The liabilities column (I had trouble thinking of that word earlier).

Right... so long as you're not buying in a bubble, or in a neighborhood that you think will go down the drain, it's probably a good idea. Just make sure you don't get foreclosed on - selling at a loss is almost always better than getting foreclosed on (of course, the goal is to do neither).

I'm going to recommend learning a basic bit of accounting, and teaching your kids a basic bit of accounting too (when they're older - this can wait until they're teens). Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Accounting-Game-Basic-Fresh-Lemonade/dp/1402211864/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1292733735&sr=1-1

The only reason we were able to buy this house in this neighborhood is because it was a quick sale before the bank foreclosed on it.  I felt a bit bad for the previous owners until I found out that they were scammers and armed robbers.  (We had SWAT here more than once looking for them.) 

• Like 1

Well, we planned poorly and lived lavishly. Where do we get the luck stuff?

You're making it now by making good choices.  Good choices put you in a good position which leads to better opportunities.

Yes - you're still young and 10 years from now you will be so grateful that you went through these relatively few months of Extreme Financial Bootcamp.

• Like 2

Booyah!

Deck the halls with cows and holly,

Boo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-ya!

'Tis the season to eat red velvet cake,

Dawn we now our strechy pa-ants,

Wow I didn't know this song referenced booze,

(This booya song brought to you by our own dear Slache.)

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 9

Edpo  Alert your eyes so that you can avert them.

Next week we are doing stuff with the microscope in Anatomy and Physiology.  Regular teachers get kits where all the slides etc. are prepared.  I am going to have to prepare all of this myself.  And I'm scared.  Though I shouldn't be.  I don't think that it is rocket science.  Tell me that I can do it one step at a time. 

• Like 2

Hooray for considerate and cooperative fellow storage unit tenants, and phooey to the nitwits who sometimes are fellow tenants, too. 

Thankfully the majority are of the former, and are quick to realize when one of the latter is making difficulties for others.  They had pity on me and helped me get clear.

• Like 3

Edpo  Alert your eyes so that you can avert them.

Next week we are doing stuff with the microscope in Anatomy and Physiology.  Regular teachers get kits where all the slides etc. are prepared.  I am going to have to prepare all of this myself.  And I'm scared.  Though I shouldn't be.  I don't think that it is rocket science.  Tell me that I can do it one step at a time. 

You can do it!

• Like 2

Christmaspo

I have been putting off decorating for Christmas because our little tree and decorations are boring.  But I have decided that we are going to do something different this year.  We are going to make decorations out of origami.  I think that will be fun. 

Origami ornaments will be neat!

• Like 1

Actually, it's just got longer because I had apparently calculated it wrong. 1,719 days. AUGUST 17th, 2022. :svengo:

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

That's okay, dear.  It will go by faster in the end.

• Like 2

The vacuum has been cleaned of the thread and stuff wrapped around the brush, and its belt has been replaced.

A truck bed full of stuff has been toted off to the storage unit, and I still made it back before our company arrived.

The spare bedroom is in decent enough shape for our overnight guest.  (Yay!)

I have a few boxes/bins of donation items set aside to be taken to the donation place on Monday.

I have picked up my current med refills and set up my pill organizers for the next two weeks.

I have written up reminder lists for the girls' school work they are to do while I am gone, and the routine household tasks they should stay on top of, too.

I plan on pizza for supper tonight.

I am washing the pillow cases the girls painted in art class, and will follow those with some towels or cleaning rags.

I think I have earned some vegetating time now!  Hmm, maybe even a grapefruit treat....

• Like 4

I ketchupped, but I am mustard. :svengo: I worked, libraried, went to the fancy store and bought cheese, and now I'm home eating leftover turkey and contemplating a bath. 

I did something I seldom do: I bought some roasted chestnuts. They are very, very interesting eating. I would take a bite, and say, "Oh, this is good!" chew on it, make a face and say, "Oh, texture is so bad!" and then "so good", "so bad". Now I have to figure out what to do with the bag. They would be really good with something...just can't figure out what just yet. They remind me of a really funny dumpling that is sweet and bread-like all at the same time.

ETA: I'm thinking about Cream of Chestnut soup. Mushrooms are involved, and I love mushrooms.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4

I ketchupped, but I am mustard. :svengo: I worked, libraried, went to the fancy store and bought cheese, and now I'm home eating leftover turkey and contemplating a bath. 

I did something I seldom do: I bought some roasted chestnuts. They are very, very interesting eating. I would take a bite, and say, "Oh, this is good!" chew on it, make a face and say, "Oh, texture is so bad!" and then "so good", "so bad". Now I have to figure out what to do with the bag. They would be really good with something...just can't figure out what just yet. They remind me of a really funny dumpling that is sweet and bread-like all at the same time.

ETA: I'm thinking about Cream of Chestnut soup. Mushrooms are involved, and I love mushrooms.

I wonder if chestnuts are okay to eat raw?

I have yet to try chestnuts.  Now I wonder....

• Like 1

You never know, maybe something good will surprise you. We never thought we’d be able to afford a house five years after we got married (benefitors of the slump here too) or that dh would get promotions so fast. You’re able to give your kids a safe home with food to eat and clothes to wear and a mom and dad who love them. That’s an awful lot, right there. (Not trying to belittle how hard it is to struggle financially, I just think it helps to look at all the things that are going right bc I at least have a tendecy just to focus on what’s going wrong).

So true! 

It was more like 7 years of financial terror.

Yeah, we went through something like that. But then, things started turning around. Things seem to be turning around for you too. Matt got an 8.6% raise, right? You're just doing the 7 years of riches and 7 years of lean, but backwards (the thing with the cows and the pharaoh and stuff). 

• Like 3

I wonder if chestnuts are okay to eat raw?

I have yet to try chestnuts.  Now I wonder....

As far as I know, chestnuts need to be either roasted or boiled. Given how tightly they stick to their leathery cases, I don't think you could get enough of them out raw to be enjoyable.

These chestnuts were already done, roasted, skinned and shelled for eating. Certainly one of those things that you have to chew and wonder about whether or not you like them or not, I think.

• Like 1

Edpo .  Cover your eyes with duct tape!

I got out microscope and reviewed it's parts.  Then I looked up the microscope manufacturer and downloaded it's inadequate manual.  I'm a bit frustrated because the objectives are not marked with the magnification on them so I'm trying to figure that out. Now I have to figure out what immersion oil is and if it is something I can get quickly.  Hmm.  I did discover that I have methylene blue.  And slides and covers slips.  But no immersion oil and I'm not finding any at local places.