• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I did Insanity Max:30 as soon as they took kid 5 off for his first bath.  Vaginal births are easy peasy, baby.   Well, and I'm awesome too.  There's that.  

Not for me, unfortunately.  I tried for 10 days (yes, 10 days of on-again-off-again labor).  Hence, c-sections.

That's awkward.

I still remember on the People's Court years ago there was this black dude being sued. It made no sense because he was the one that got bit by the Plaintiff's dog. Judge asked the defendant what did he do when the dog bit him. He answered emphatically, "I bit him right back!"

• Like 3

OH! We briefly watched some Highland Games this morning as we were strolling by on the way to another event.

Kilts everywhere, ladies.  

So now back to cleaning the kids' bedroom and sorting their clothes.  

Must be in the air.  We just got home from a wine tasting and there was a man in attendance in full Scottish regalia.  He played the bagpipes and everything.  (He was another guest, not a paid performer.)

Unfortunately, life conspired again, and I was NOT here and missed another fun little trend.  *sigh* again.

I'll bet you were you doing something ridiculous and boring, like, I don't know, educating your children.

Some people.  :001_rolleyes:

• Like 1

Hey so, I promise I'm not drunk or dying, but I wanted to say that I love you guys. This thread has been awesome.

Oh, cool!  It's Saturday night; we can all hit the wine and start crying and tell everyone how much we love each other.  Just like college.  :party:

No, wait.  I was a dork in college, too, and I skipped all that stuff.   :blush5: 

Yay!  New life experience!   :wacko: 

• Like 4

Thanks. It is SO HARD to keep up my perfection. I slip sometimes.

I would never go after you like that though. I am not the English language...

Sure, Renai.  You made a mistake. Right.

But it IS nice of you to fake the occasional mistake to make the rest of us feel better about ourselves. :)

• Like 2

Okay. I realize I've worked a little too much with CC lately, but I have to tell you that it does not have standards for life skills. It is either math or ELA, which are both used in life skills.

Thus, one would write the plan this way:

LotsofLittleDucklings lesson plan for Grade 2 field trip to Dunkin' Donuts:

Math

Operations and Algebraic thinking

CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.OA.B.2
Fluently add and subtract within 20 using mental strategies.2 By end of Grade 2, know from memory all sums of two one-digit numbers.

(Example: If a dozen donuts is $10, and we add mommy's special latte of $5, how much did mommy just spend?)

The above example will also work for: 

Number and Operations in Base Ten

CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.NBT.B.8
Mentally add 10 or 100 to a given number 100-900, and mentally subtract 10 or 100 from a given number 100-900.

Geometry

CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.G.A.1
Recognize and draw shapes having specified attributes, such as a given number of angles or a given number of equal faces.1 Identify triangles, quadrilaterals, pentagons, hexagons, and cubes.
(Example: How many angles (or faces) does the donut box have? What shape is that?)

For enrichment, use said donut box and mentioned above and the donuts themselves for the following activities:

CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.G.A.2
Partition a rectangle into rows and columns of same-size squares and count to find the total number of them.

CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.G.A.3
Partition circles and rectangles into two, three, or four equal shares, describe the shares using the words halves, thirds, half of, a third of, etc., and describe the whole as two halves, three thirds, four fourths. Recognize that equal shares of identical wholes need not have the same shape.

See? Easy peasy. Do what you want, then slap standards on them. Do the same for the ELA. Works like a charm. Who needs cc-specified curriculum?

YAY!  I nominate Renai to be the official curriculum planner of the Ignore-amus-es.  My DD is starting eight grade in the fall, so you have a few months to get it together.  Go!

• Like 2

Suck it up, buttercup.

Bite me.

But don't really. That would be weird.

I'm known as the cannibal in the family. Don't tempt me.

That's awkward.

Stop it.  You are making me make my family think I'm weird. They just don't understand random snorts and guffaws.

• Like 2

YAY!  I nominate Renai to be the official curriculum planner of the Ignore-amus-es.  My DD is starting eight grade in the fall, so you have a few months to get it together.  Go!

No! My kids are young and I'm still in the "I love everything about homeschool" phase. Don't take my planning!

I totally didn't see this comment before Jojosmom quoted it.

You probably don't scroll up after you post. If someone posts while your posting and you don't scroll up you'll miss it. You don't want to miss mine. They're so eloquent.

• Like 3

No! My kids are young and I'm still in the "I love everything about homeschool" phase. Don't take my planning!

You probably don't scroll up after you post. If someone posts while your posting and you don't scroll up you'll miss it. You don't want to miss mine. They're so eloquent.

I would not take away your planning. I am much too lazy for that. I would simply stick some CC labels on the planning to make them look Official. :D

I periodically scroll up, if I see "x replies added", or something like that while I'm typing. I don't always remember though. Or, it's just already too late anyway because I'm typing my reply. kwim?

Fun fact: This is the FOURTH time my man has had stitches. He was treated for pyloric stanosis at 2 months. Worst night of my life. I didn't realize he had stitched. I just remember starving him all that night before surgery while I smelt like breast milk. If you ever have to starve a baby make the boobless parent stay with him. It didn't even dawn on us how cruel it was when Matt left.

Ds did break his arm once when he was 6 but that mostly my fault. He was zooming like he always did but I had put down a slippery open sleeping bag on the floor and he went down hard. Breaking bones sound like cracking dry spaghetti btw. If I didn't go into crisis management mode I would have barfed. at that sound.

I wanted to like this because "crisis management mode."  Yeah - that's what super moms do!  But, then, I didn't want to like it because OUCH!

The only time one of mine has had stitches, it was on his head, just into the hairline.  Thankfully one of the other moms was a nurse and knew it needed stitches and told me which of the two closest hospitals to go to, so I didn't have to think.  Afterwards, friends said I was calm, actually I was just inexperienced, lol. 

• Like 1

DENTAL ALERT

The side. It's grey and is being removed soon. It keeps coming off in little chunks. I can put my finger inside the whole and touch the gum. I'm going to keep it and use it while talking to the kids about dental hygiene.

I had no choice but to like this.  Such graphic imagery!  Impressive.  

• Like 2

Umm, texasmama?  You have a Great Pyrenees, right? 

Umm, Pyrs bark.  A lot.  But you are mistaken about the whole "no reason" thing.  You see, apparently your homestead was targeted by marauding Huns in the wee hours.  Your noble canine's exquisite sense of hearing detected the gathering hordes, and her thundering sounds of warning frightened them off.

Or maybe it was a neighbor's cat.  But you know how dangerous cats are, right?

In either case, you and your family survived the night, now didn't you?  All because of the brave dog who stayed awake all night defending you and yours.  So leave her alone to sleep on the couch all day, okay?

They do?  Pyrs bark?  I don't think we ever heard the sheep-guarding ones bark....

Off to the ER with John. This will be his 3rd set of stitches.

:ohmy:

What happened?

ETA:  Never mind -- I found the explanation.  Poor guy!

• Like 1

They do? Pyrs bark? I don't think we ever heard the sheep-guarding ones bark....

Their bark is their first line of defense. They do not waste a bark and they do not bark out of excitement like other dogs. They just bark if they perceive a threat. And they perceive a lot of threats. :)
  • Like 1

OH! We briefly watched some Highland Games this morning as we were strolling by on the way to another event.

Kilts everywhere, ladies.  

So now back to cleaning the kids' bedroom and sorting their clothes.  

No pics?

I'm confused. Am I being insulted?

No, just the juxtaposition of discussions of your height and being called a marshmallow.  See what happens when I have to stay away from this thread for a few days and then binge-read to catch up?

• Like 2

I was bound to miss somebody. I mean, I went back at least two pages to try to catch everyone. 

Obviously not far enough.  But all is forgiven, since instructions were posted.  After all, we must make up for each others' shortcomings, mustn't we?

I see you have now. Must have read that book, "How to win friends..."

*wince*  DH has been playing the audiobook version of that in the car.  I have heard quite enough of "hearty in my approbation and lavish in my praise".

Obviously not far enough.  But all is forgiven, since instructions were posted.  After all, we must make up for each others' shortcomings, mustn't we?

Well, by the time I started friending folks, the previous two pages were dominated by about three or four people.  :rofl:  :001_rolleyes:  They know who they are.

• Like 4

*wince*  DH has been playing the audiobook version of that in the car.  I have heard quite enough of "hearty in my approbation and lavish in my praise".

It has been a long time since I read that book. I don't even remember if I read the whole thing. And, at this point, I think I'm too old to care. (about the book, not about friends).

Hab It - Pelvic Floor is a good program though. It doesn't just exercise those muscles, but the ones around it, and I found it helped a lot. http://www.amazon.com/Hab-Pelvic-Floor-Tasha-Mulligan/dp/0510539610/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430610367&sr=8-1&keywords=hab+it

No kidding?  You used it and it worked for you?  I might give it a try then.  It would be lovely not to have to wear pads all through allergy season (which down here is about 11 months out of the year) for fear that my naturally exuberant sneezes will cause me a different sort of embarrassment.

I still remember on the People's Court years ago there was this black dude being sued. It made no sense because he was the one that got bit by the Plaintiff's dog. Judge asked the defendant what did he do when the dog bit him. He answered emphatically, "I bit him right back!"

Sounds justified to me!

• Like 1

Must be in the air.  We just got home from a wine tasting and there was a man in attendance in full Scottish regalia.  He played the bagpipes and everything.  (He was another guest, not a paid performer.)

Must have been some good wine, then!

• Like 2